• SDN Site Updates

Hey everyone! The site will be down for approximately 2 hours on Thursday, August 5th for site updates.

DrDori

Feb 13, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I have some volunteering experience. Mostly community development:

• fundraising for a national development NGO working on local community development

• helping in blood donation campaigns at an NGO premises once per month for a couple of years

• sorting and distributing medications donated to poor families/neighborhoods

• volunteering in the equivalent of a "soup kitchen" for 2 months

is this enough for medical school?

i live in a foreign developing country so there should be many opportunities here but we do not have a system of volunteering at hospitals for non-doctors. what could be other acceptable clinical volunteering experience?

is research experience required? in what areas? given the i have a Bsc in electrical engineering

NickNaylor

Thank You for Smoking
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
May 22, 2008
Deep in the heart of Texas
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
1) There's never really "enough" for medical school. Continue doing things you like and/or that are interesting to you. You should never stop doing ECs and other things to help build your resume, ESPECIALLY if you're a foreign student trying to get to the US as you'll already be at a severe disadvantage.

2) The mantra here is if you can smell a patient, it's clinical experience. You don't need to go to a hospital - a solo practitioner or private practice is perfectly fine.

3) Research experience isn't required but will help, especially at the top schools. Any field is fine.

About the Ads

DrDori

Feb 13, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Catalystik.. Egypt.. we have all that you mentioned. Clinical volunteering is not in our culture. When people try to give back to the community it usually takes place in the form of donations, blood donations or monetary or in-kind. Volunteering can be done in soup kitchens but nothing health related.

Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Catalystik.. Egypt.. we have all that you mentioned. Clinical volunteering is not in our culture. When people try to give back to the community it usually takes place in the form of donations, blood donations or monetary or in-kind. Volunteering can be done in soup kitchens but nothing health related.

Med schools in Egypt likely have very different expectations than those in North America, for whom advice in this forum is generally directed. You might look in SDN's International Medicine forum and see what information is there.

DrDori

Feb 13, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I missed the 2nd part of your question ! My Bachelor's was done in Egypt. Of course, I am here because I am trying to go to medical school in the states ! my bad, sorry !
you're absolutely right.. medical school in Egypt is very different.. a medical degree is an undergraduate degree.. followed by 1 year "internship" then doctoral studies in the area of specialization. Requirements for medical school in Egypt is basically the highest high school grades attainable.

sector9

Moderator Emeritus
7+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
I missed the 2nd part of your question ! My Bachelor's was done in Egypt. Of course, I am here because I am trying to go to medical school in the states ! my bad, sorry !
you're absolutely right.. medical school in Egypt is very different.. a medical degree is an undergraduate degree.. followed by 1 year "internship" then doctoral studies in the area of specialization. Requirements for medical school in Egypt is basically the highest high school grades attainable.
Ah that changes things. Are you a US citizen?

AMCAS, the US MD application service, does not accept foreign transcripts. Were you aware of that? Med schools in the US will want US or Canadian coursework before you can matriculate, usually at least 60 credit hours. Some require you to have a US or Canadian bachelor's degree.

DrDori

Feb 13, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Ah that changes things. Are you a US citizen?

AMCAS, the US MD application service, does not accept foreign transcripts. Were you aware of that? Med schools in the US will want US or Canadian coursework before you can matriculate, usually at least 60 credit hours. Some require you to have a US or Canadian bachelor's degree.

I have read on some schools' websites that they required a year or 2 of coursework in the states which translates to 30-60 credits ! Here in the forum I read 90 credits are required ! So I am confused. I have some pre-requisites to finish about 18 credits. I plan to take these in the states plus an additional upper level science if required to complete the 30.

post-bacc programs usually require 24-27 credit hours to be finished by candidates. So I guess I really do not need the 60 or even the full 30.

I am trying to find out if my school will be accepted. I have contacted twice AMCAS and received 2 different strange responses.

1) We need to receive the transcript
2) we do not evaluate degrees

Sep 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Every med school can have their own policy. A handful of schools only require 30 hours of US or Canadian coursework. Most require 60-90. And very few require an entire bachelors degree earned in the US or Canada. Most require that all the prerequisites be taken in the US/Canada, but a few don't.

As is clearly stated in their instruction book, AMCAS does not accept foreign transcripts (exception is a few schools sponsored by the US) even if you have your transcript evaluated by a transcript evaluation service like WES, but I think you will need that evaluation to be considered by an undergrad program or grad school for acceptance. You may also send a copy directly to med schools, which may or may not use the information to decide about accepting you (primarily they use the US/Canadian generated GPAs instead), but at the least you'd send one to the med school you'd matriculate at to prove you have an undergrad degree somewhere.

Here is the story of a successful foreign applicant you might like to read: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=584858

Last edited:

DrDori

Feb 13, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
This is very confusing.. but actually your post was extremely helpful.. my school turned out to be one of the exception schools ! it seems WES will not be required.

https://www.aamc.org/students/apply...ny_transcripts_from_foreign_institutions.html

Just out of curiosity.. what if it weren't? I'd send my transcripts directly to the school where I am applying like you mention above? and what are the disadvantages of that really?

and what does it mean to "verify" the transcript? if AMCAS requires my transcript as stated in this link, will they verify it?

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
This is very confusing.. but actually your post was extremely helpful.. my school turned out to be one of the exception schools ! it seems WES will not be required.

https://www.aamc.org/students/apply...ny_transcripts_from_foreign_institutions.html

Just out of curiosity.. what if it weren't? I'd send my transcripts directly to the school where I am applying like you mention above? and what are the disadvantages of that really?

and what does it mean to "verify" the transcript? if AMCAS requires my transcript as stated in this link, will they verify it?
Disadvantage: it's expensive and it's really needed to prove you have a degree already, not for the GPA information.

Verification: you fill in your grades on the Primary application. From the transcript, AMCAS verifies that you did it correctly and then calculates your application GPA by its own rules.

DrDori

Feb 13, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
Wow Thanks so much ! This manual is a *good* reading for tonight ! :D

Do you think this waives the 30-60-90 cr requirement by the medical school itself? It seems to me that my school is generally considered an American institution (as I was told when I started there!)
Would you expect I'd still be required by the medical schools to do more coursework in the States?

Sep 4, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
I don't know. Your situation seems more hopeful, but again, each med school can make its own rules. I think you'll have to read the website of each school you plan to target and then call or email if it generically specifies that the credit had to be earned in an accredited US or Canadian school (since this description may refer to physical location vs affiliation. Probably not, but you want to be really, really sure). You'll need to do research on the affiliation and accreditation of your current school and learn its status so you can report it accurately during the communication.

What we do know is that AMCAS will accept your transcript. We don't know if med schools will be uniform in agreeing to its legitimacy (an example: AMCAS accepts on-line coursework, but all med schools won't allow it to satisfy their requirements and will force you to retake some things). I'd like to think it won't be an issue, but you can't afford to assume something that turns out to be incorrect. Do you maybe have a premed advisor there who has already dealt with this situation on some else's behalf?

notbobtrustme

Crux Terminatus
Removed
Jun 28, 2011
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Do you have any ties to the US, such as a green card, citizenship? Without those two things, acceptance to a US medical school is borderline impossible. Most medical schools don't accept a student visa as being valid for matriculation.

First thing I'd do is make sure you can actually study medicine in the US.

DrDori

Feb 13, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Non-Student
I don't know. Your situation seems more hopeful, but again, each med school can make its own rules. I think you'll have to read the website of each school you plan to target and then call or email if it generically specifies that the credit had to be earned in an accredited US or Canadian school (since this description may refer to physical location vs affiliation. Probably not, but you want to be really, really sure). You'll need to do research on the affiliation and accreditation of your current school and learn its status so you can report it accurately during the communication.

What we do know is that AMCAS will accept your transcript. We don't know if med schools will be uniform in agreeing to its legitimacy (an example: AMCAS accepts on-line coursework, but all med schools won't allow it to satisfy their requirements and will force you to retake some things). I'd like to think it won't be an issue, but you can't afford to assume something that turns out to be incorrect. Do you maybe have a premed advisor there who has already dealt with this situation on some else's behalf?

I will work on this immediately. especially since I won't be applying to many programs, so I can contact them all and check my situation.

I will also look for someone at my university who can help with this. I am not premed, I studied engineering. I am sure at that our biology department, some1 somewhere might have an idea.

About the Ads
This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.