Community service?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gocanes1990

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently rescued a dog from animal services. It was gonna be put down that same day. Someone told me today, that this adoption is considered community service and I can put it on my app. What you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Idk...seems like kind of a stretch to me. But what do I know, I only like bears :)

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever read. No, seriously. This is SDN and that is the most ridiculous post I've ever seen. Ever. On the internet.

Members don't see this ad :)
I recently rescued a dog from animal services. It was gonna be put down that same day. Someone told me today, that this adoption is considered community service and I can put it on my app. What you guys think?

Definitely put it on there. Also make sure you mark it as most meaningful and write about it in your PS as well as secondaries.

Definitely put it on there. Also make sure you mark it as most meaningful and write about it in your PS as well as secondaries.

This is why I read your blog.

Dogs? You're joking, right? You'll be competing with others who have rescued penguins, bears, leopards, hippos, pterodactyls, etc. Dogs just won't cut it.

Dogs? You're joking, right? You'll be competing with others who have rescued penguins, bears, leopards, hippos, pterodactyls, etc. Dogs just won't cut it.

Lol. No but seriously OP, I think that would be a stretch.

:lol:

Absolutely not.

Even if it technically is community service, it doesn't seem to be the type that belongs on a medical school application. The types that belong need to have "hours" involved.

Do what everyone else does and inflate or fabricate hours.

Or lie on the internet. That's a popular choice for SDN members.

Animal-related community service:

-volunteering at a shelter
-fostering dogs or cats for a rescue
-fundraising for a rescue
-organizing a charity run for a shelter or rescue

Not community service:

-adopting a dog or a cat, even if "it was gonna be put down that day."

Make sure you include all the time you spend walking the dog, playing with the dog, and cleaning up after the dog. That's all volunteer time as well.

Really? because this is top 5 in terms of ridiculousness.

It's no worse than the typical ER volunteering job: stocking shelves and pushing around trays of food.

If it was a one time only thing, you will mostly likely be seen as trying too hard.

It's no worse than the typical ER volunteering job: stocking shelves and pushing around trays of food.

Adopting a dog from a shelter or pound is light years different than providing volunteer services at a hospital. If you can't distinguish between the two you are lacking in the critical thinking department.

OP: Thank you for adopting the pup.

If it was a one time only thing, you will mostly likely be seen as trying too hard.

Yet if it is a regular thing, you will be known as the applicant with the weird stray dog fetish. It's a lose-lose.

Adopting a dog from a shelter or pound is light years different than providing volunteer services at a hospital. If you can't distinguish between the two you are lacking in the critical thinking department.

Totally agree. Adopting a dog actually makes a difference.

Originally Posted by LizzyM

Totally agree. Adopting a dog actually makes a difference.

If no one, not a single staff member or a single patient, is better off because you volunteered in the ED, you aren't doing it right.

May I ask why you rescued/adopted a dog? If this is something that you enjoy, you're more than welcome to mention it during interviews as a hobby, but it's not worthy enough (or appropriate) of taking a whole slot of your extracurricular page (which has a limited space of 15 spots) of your med school application.

Personally, if I were a med school admission staff, I would rather admit a person who vonlunteered at a hospital for a few hours than someone who went out of his/her way to help rescuing a dog. Don't take it personally, of course.