The Real PG
Staff member
Administrator
7+ Year Member
May 10, 2012
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
Hi everyone!

This is the second installment of the community spotlight series which are brief Q/A sessions with members from across the SDN community! They will appear every few weeks featuring all different types of fields and specialties! So without further ado, I present the second community spotlight with @princeafrica who is a current dental student!

1. What first brought you to SDN? How long have you been around the community?

I first started browsing around SDN when I was looking for more information on the different healthcare career paths. I was looking for a place where I could find all the information that I needed in one place rather than joining multiple Facebook groups. A friend suggested I check out SDN and that is how I ended up here. It was really nice to be able to get advice and information from people at different stages of their career.

2. What are some things you would suggest to students wanting to pursue dental school?

Dental school requires a lot of work outside of class. Due to the amount of hand skills needed as a dentist you will spend a lot of time in lab outside of class time as well as a lot of time in the books. Make sure you take the time to research the field, shadow, ask question, and just overall find out if it’s a best fit for you. It will take a lot of energy out of you the first couple months and you really need to be sure that this is the career that you see yourself doing in the next 20 years.

3. What inspired you to pursue Dentistry?

I was a pre-pharmacy student in the beginning of undergrad. But I quickly got bored because I am more of a person that likes to be active and just do stuff with my hands. I explored other careers but ultimately dentistry encompassed my desired for a career that is hands on but also allows me the opportunity to give back to my community and address healthcare disparities and inequities. The autonomy that dentistry offers will give me the opportunity to create a person-centered environment for the community.

4. Is there any particular sub-specialty you would like to pursue within Dentistry?

As of right now, I am still exploring as I am still in the baby days of dental school.

5. In your opinion, what was the hardest part about preparing and taking the DAT?

The hardest part for me was getting into a rhythm. When you first look at the material you need to review for the DAT it can get very overwhelming. I got quickly overwhelmed with the amount of material I was going to need to recall and kind of gave up a couple times. What happened was breaking down the materials into chunks and creating a manageable schedule to follow with daily goals.

6. What are you most excited about as you move forward in your career?

I am very excited about the opportunity of working with like-minded people to address healthcare disparities and increase access to dental care to my community. Representation matters and I want to be a role model and mentor to other young kids that, just like me, may of thought higher education/professional school is out of their reach. As a first-generation student it is important for me to show people in my community that is it possible, with the right resources, to reach your dreams and I want to be able to provide those resources.

7. Is there anything that really helped you, or stood out to you since being a forum user here on SDN?

I checked out a couple different platforms before landing on SDN. SDN proved to be the most organized platform for health professional students which made it all easier to find the information I needed to help me get into dental school. I really liked that I could easily find students that were applying to the same schools and even got to talk to some of them before we coincidentally saw each other at interviews. I also really liked the interview feedback page, it helped me figure out what to expect on interview days so I could come the most prepared.

8. Is there any particular users you would like to give a shout out to?

I would like to shout out to @artist2022 ! The pre-dental forum had so much valuable information and was well organized. Without her efforts the information wouldn’t have been as easily accessible and well moderated. She also encouraged members to give back on SDN which helped me find users at different schools that I was applying to and ask questions.

9. Outside of school, is there any particular hobby that you have kept up with since being a dental student?

I was able to manage my time well and keep up with my gym routine as well as playing basketball with a couple friends at the gym. Sometimes it got hard like during the first and last month of the semesters as those are usually the busiest months. But it is really important to have a routine outside of school so that you do not go crazy.
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Thank you to princeafrica for taking the time to participate in this session and to all those who are reading!
-PG

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
About the Ads
This thread is more than 1 year old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.