1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Community vs. University Programs

Discussion in 'Ob/Gyn' started by Djanaba, Aug 5, 2002.

1. Djanaba

Djanaba Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Hello, all!

My advisor is, obviously, at a university. As such, I feel a sort of bias on her part when I inquire as to the benefits and drawbacks of community-based programs, as well as those that are university based (or affiliated). I'd like a few more thoughts: what advantages would a community-based program have?

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dankatzzz

dankatzzz Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi,
    I encountered the same attitude from the program director in medicine in my school. As far as disadvantages of a community program, dor OB/GYN the following would apply: 1) most likely less exposure to the subspecilaties like urogyn, gyn onc, MFM and REI. 2) If you are interested in doing a fellowship it is helpful to be in a university program. 3) may have more exposure to different hospitals: a number of university program residents rotate between 2-3 hospitals. E.g. in my school they rotate between an middle-upper class hospital and a high risk children's hospital. 4) bigger program may allow for more flexibility if you are planning on starting a family in the next 4 years as tey have more residents to cover for you.
    Advantages of a community program: 1) small, personal feel. 2) See most of the bread and butter. 3) Possibility of better work hours (though this can be not true). 4) easier to get in to.

I can't think of anything else. Personally, it is more important for me to have good comradrie and treatment of residents than a name. Plus, it is important to do many surgeries because it is harder to gain experience with this than with OB.
    Hope this is helpful,
    Dani