• A new admissions hurdle is becoming more common: the CASPer test. Learn more about it at a free webinar hosted by SDN and PrepMatch on May 6th. Register now!

Djanaba

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 5, 2000
Minneapolis, MN
www.geocities.com
Status (Visible)
Hello, all!

My advisor is, obviously, at a university. As such, I feel a sort of bias on her part when I inquire as to the benefits and drawbacks of community-based programs, as well as those that are university based (or affiliated). I'd like a few more thoughts: what advantages would a community-based program have?

Thanks!

dankatzzz

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2002
Hartford, CT
Status (Visible)
Hi,
I encountered the same attitude from the program director in medicine in my school. As far as disadvantages of a community program, dor OB/GYN the following would apply: 1) most likely less exposure to the subspecilaties like urogyn, gyn onc, MFM and REI. 2) If you are interested in doing a fellowship it is helpful to be in a university program. 3) may have more exposure to different hospitals: a number of university program residents rotate between 2-3 hospitals. E.g. in my school they rotate between an middle-upper class hospital and a high risk children's hospital. 4) bigger program may allow for more flexibility if you are planning on starting a family in the next 4 years as tey have more residents to cover for you.
Advantages of a community program: 1) small, personal feel. 2) See most of the bread and butter. 3) Possibility of better work hours (though this can be not true). 4) easier to get in to.

I can't think of anything else. Personally, it is more important for me to have good comradrie and treatment of residents than a name. Plus, it is important to do many surgeries because it is harder to gain experience with this than with OB.
Hope this is helpful,
Dani

About the Ads
This thread is more than 18 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.