MJB

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
It's looking more and more like we will end up living about 45 minutes from the school I plan to attend so the job possibilities will be better for my wife, and so I will hopefully not have to move after the first two years for rotations..and should be a reasonable driving distance from school and 3rd and 4th year rotations.

My question is this...will this be a problem?

Is it imperative to live closer to the school?

MJB

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
It's DCOM, in Tennessee...so I don't expect much bad weather.

I have to assume with all the technology available, the lectures will be available online, etc...

I'd rather live very close to the school, but knowing we will likely need to buy, I'd rather not be in a position of having to move after the first 2 years.

About the Ads

DragonWell

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Nov 20, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
It's looking more and more like we will end up living about 45 minutes from the school I plan to attend so the job possibilities will be better for my wife, and so I will hopefully not have to move after the first two years for rotations..and should be a reasonable driving distance from school and 3rd and 4th year rotations.

I have a commute about this long. Not too bad as long as there aren't too many things that can make it longer or more stressful - ie. high schools starting at the same time, rush hour, bad traffic lights etc.

The only time I mind having to commute is when something is going on in the evening (ie club meeting, study session,etc.) and I am out of class early. It'd be nice to go home and study/eat/sleep, but 45 minutes is a bit too long to go and come back...

Just be aware that if there are breaks in your schedule, you'll probably end up finding the most comfortable chair to sleep in at the library.

MJB

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Thanks...even if I live close, I think I would try to treat school as a "full time job" and try to stay there from like 7:30-5 or 6 daily...just too easy to get distracted if I go home, etc...

I'm sure I won't like the driving so much, but I think it will be nice come 3rd year rotations not having to move.

PlasticMan

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 24, 2005
Status (Visible)
Are you going to be at school everyday? If you are planning on only going to school 2-3 times a week for required labs like OMM or anatomy, then being far from school shouldn't be a big deal. If you would rather attend lecture every day rather than study on your own, then being 45 mins away can be a big deal. Find out if DCOM will be requiring attendance at lecture. I only go to school 2-3 times/week, as I stream. If I was a lecture goer, I could never see myself driving 45 mins each way, 5 days/week. It will run you ragged. Med school is draining enough.

**Edit** I just re-read your post. If you think you will be too distracted staying home to study, that sounds like you'll be @ school to study alot. If you're gonna be heading to school often, you're gonna want that drive as short as possible. And that stuff about treating it like a full time job? That's what I thought before I got here; I have not seen it work that way in ANY of my friends; we all study 7 days/week with the occassional 6 day workweek. Another words, if you're planning on doing your studying at school, you're gonna be driving there 6 or 7 days/week and be exhausted most of the time. However, you could always study @ your local library to save yourself the drive.

MJB

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Are you going to be at school everyday? If you are planning on only going to school 2-3 times a week for required labs like OMM or anatomy, then being far from school shouldn't be a big deal. If you would rather attend lecture every day rather than study on your own, then being 45 mins away can be a big deal. Find out if DCOM will be requiring attendance at lecture. I only go to school 2-3 times/week, as I stream. If I was a lecture goer, I could never see myself driving 45 mins each way, 5 days/week. It will run you ragged. Med school is draining enough.

**Edit** I just re-read your post. If you think you will be too distracted staying home to study, that sounds like you'll be @ school to study alot. If you're gonna be heading to school often, you're gonna want that drive as short as possible. And that stuff about treating it like a full time job? That's what I thought before I got here; I have not seen it work that way in ANY of my friends; we all study 7 days/week with the occassional 6 day workweek. Another words, if you're planning on doing your studying at school, you're gonna be driving there 6 or 7 days/week and be exhausted most of the time. However, you could always study @ your local library to save yourself the drive.

Thank you...I really need to do some thinking about this..This is a tough one because I don't like the idea of having to try to sell and move after the first 2 years...but I also don't want to have to drive.

Ideally, I can find a place I could turn into a rental if need be.

That, and the jobs are much more prominent for my wife nearer Knoxville.

DaveinDallas

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Jan 23, 2004
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Ok - before I go spouting off my 'wisdom' - here's what I did my first trip through year 1. I lived about 1.5 hours away from school. We had lectures available on audio and I tried listening to them in the car.

Problem: exhaustion - I was up at 05:00 every day to be out of the house by 6 to be at school at 7:15. Class usually ran from 8 to 5 or 8 to 3. So I'd hit the library and try to study from 3 to 6:30 to let the traffic die down. Mistake - I'm tired from the day and need a break (plus I found that 4 to 6 was my mental 'lull time'). So I drive home and get home at 8:00pm just in time to eat/tuck the kids into bed and then try to study from 8:30pm to 10:30 pm and have 10:30 to 11 or 11:30 time with my wife.

I forgot to mention - I was studying 10 to 12 hours a day on both days of the weekend also.

I made it through all my classes (some were real squeakers --like passing with a 70.03) with the exception of the last one which I failed by 3 questions.

So, it was in front of the student performance committee and they really did me a favor by asking me to repeat the year as you could write what I knew about medicine in the back of a matchbook with a large grease pencil. The dean was really nice about it and gave me another chance when he could've launched me out the door.

Anyway, I took an apartment across the street - literally - from school, took out some extra loans and am in the middle of repeating first year. My grades have gone from low C's to mid-B's. It's hard being away from my family but it's only for a short period. Moving them is a last resort as we have a well established 'support system' in place. It's only for another 3 years anyway
and I'm hoping to get rotations in the city they're in so I can be home for 3rd and 4th year.

For me, that commute didn't work out. For others, they did just fine. As my dean said - it can be done but that's not really the way to get the most out of your medical education.

Charlie Bravo

Deadhead
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 19, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I've been commuting approximately 40 miles each way for a little over a semester now. Doesn't seem to be too much of a problem. And i GO to class every day. There are many who dont attend class and listen to lectures online. Its do-able both ways.

Founder

10+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2007
Status (Visible)
Isn't DCOM making all of its lectures available online in streaming video format?

MossPoh

Textures intrigue me
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2006
Tally/Willkillya County
psu.facebook.com
Status (Visible)
  1. Medical Student
In the grand scheme of things 45 minutes isn't too bad. I think as students one kind of gets used to being close to campus. While in Berlin I lived about a 45 minute- hour commute away from my place. You will learn to adapt. The key with any of that is kind of maximizing your time and trying to prevent that being dead time. I can't get into details since I am not that far...but the basics apply everywhere. Even if it is creating the ride back as a kind of "me time" where you try to relax for a little bit before starting back up...whatever. I suspect audio lectures may become your friend, even though it is an inefficient way to learn.

MJB

Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 12, 2005
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
During my "working time" the last 8 or 9 years...I grew to hate commuting and when I took this job I insisted on no commute..

Now, I kind of wish I had about a 30 minute drive...partly because the city my job is in is just not a good fit for us to live in...and partly because I never have any time for myself to just chill...
I figure if I commute 30 minutes or so, I will be able to listen to sports radio or something to catch up and take my mind off of things...

Not sure what will happen, and I don't know if DCOM will have all of them online or not.

BMW19

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Dec 19, 2002
Da South
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
I commute 35 mins. There are really 2 times when it really sucks:
1) Accidents, normal Atlanta stupid traffic- And I'm trying to make it to a test on time. Just leave about an hour earlier on test day and if you make it there with a lot of time just study at school.

2) 4 hours of class are cancelled for some reason (visiting professor can't make it, in house professor got sick etc.) And now I drove up for nothing. Usually I just study in the library but would have been nicer not to put 60 miles on my car!

3) Oh just thought of one more: when there is like a test review or something and that is all that is going on that day. Sucks to have to drive up for that.

Make good friends that will get you note packets or take notes for you if there is only 1 class that day etc., and you can save some gas and mileage on your car. Luckily our lectures are video taped 95% of the time so I can make it up.

BMW-

About the Ads
This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.