Commuting to school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

3rdMolarRoller

User Account Deleted
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone!!!

When you all start looking for housing, what is the furthest you are willing to commute?

And what do you consider too far?

Members don't see this ad.

i'm planning on between 15 and 30 minutes each way, depending on traffic.

the way i see it, if i'm 30 minutes each way, I have an hour less to do constructive activities.

i'm married, so we like to look at it as an hour less time together. but it could just as easily be study time, or relaxation time.

of course, i would like to be closer to school. but some schools are in areas that make homebuying prohibitive. in chapel hill, where i will be attending school, home prices in the entire COUNTY average over 275,000.

um, i can't afford that.

15 extra commute minutes give me the opportunity to have a much better home. and the same thing often applies to rentals as well.

the two factors are time and your home/apartment. more time, less home. more home, less time. you have to find a balance.

i'll be commuting 30-40 minutes. my wife is in school about 70 miles from where i will be. we plan on living somewhere between the two. not really looking forward to the commute. you get use to it though. i've commuted in the past and it just becomes part of your day. i plan on trying to make the time spent productive with tapes or something like that. most of my driving will be highway so that will give me more options.

Members don't see this ad :)
My interviewer at UOP told me that she commuted most of the time she was in school (UOP dental) and she had no problems with it. She sat on the train and listened to her tape. She told me it's more productive than living near to the school, because chances are when you walk home, you start to eat, and do something else, not studying....

However, I plan to live as close to the school door as possible. I prefer to get up early and go to a coffee shop to sit and study. So, commute is not for me.

I'm looking to stay outside the beltway of columbus. The area around osu is not the greatest, plus i'm looking for a more quiet environment to go home to. Just remember if you are going to live in a large city like myself, a 15 mile drive can turn into an hour drive with the amount of traffic.