COMP-NW vs. RVUCOM CO

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1145410

Hi everyone, I'd greatly appreciate your input on a tough decision that I have to make over the next couple of weeks. I've been fortunate enough to get acceptances at both Western University COMP-Northwest and Rocky Vista University- Colorado. Both programs seem great and will get me to where I'm trying to go. Students at both programs seemed happy and laid-back, so I think I'd fit in well at either school.

I've been weighing each program's match list from 2022 heavily, which is the main point where I feel conflicted. COMP-NW didn't seem to have nearly as much variety as RVU last year, especially in more competitive/surgical specialties. I don't exactly know what I want to do yet, but definitely want to keep my options as open as possible.

COMP-NW
Pros
  • Well-established program
  • Pass/Fail (mostly)
  • High board scores/many prep resources
  • Outdoor access/PNW
  • Lower cost of living
  • More research opportunities
Cons
  • No support network nearby
  • More scattered clinical rotations
  • Less competitive match list (2022 only, previous years seem more diverse)
  • ~50% zoom/remote classes
RVU-Colorado
Pros
  • Competitive residency match (2022
  • High board scores (mandatory USMLE Step 1 and COMLEX)
  • Support network/friends nearby
  • Decent outdoor access
  • Good clinical rotation sites, same site for the duration of third year
  • Pass/Fail
Cons
  • High cost of living
  • Lacks research opportunities
  • For-profit

Summary: Overall I'm truly torn between the schools. RVU seems to have had more competitive residency match lists over the past few years, but I'm wary of its for-profit status. COMP-NW seems well-established and I feel like the culture/location might be a bit better for me.

Members don't see this ad.

As for RVU:
Yes, they have a good match every year. If you want to do research there is plenty of opportunities but if you have a specific subject area or type of research that you want to do (like bench research) you should reach out and ask about specific opportunities. However, they are trying to grow those opportunities. Everyone I know that wanted research was able to do it. They even have a physician scientists track if you are really interested in the research path. For-profit, doesn't really matter but this school is expensive. Rotations can be scattered. Don't bank on doing all of them in one hospital in Denver. RVU has core sites in Denver, Pueblo, the springs, several in Wyoming, and North Dakota and even NYC. It is a lottery system so you are not guaranteed your first choice. And just because that is your core site doesn't mean they wont send you out of your area if they can't find you a spot (if that happens they help with housing though). Most classes in year 1-2 are pre-recorded to watch on your own. If you have any specific questions please feel free to reach out.