COMP students whatcha think?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DoHzA

I AM A CHAMPION!
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
COMP offers a 4 week course in the summer before matriculation...it's 3 weeks of Anatomy and 1 week of Biochemistry and Pharmacology. Now do you guys know anything about this class? how the hell can u learn biochem/pharm in 1 week??? and anatomy in 3???

i was plannin on taking biochem and anatomy in the spring at a cal state school...anythoughts???

i'm in desperate need of advice on this matter

thanks so much in advance fellow COMPerz!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey Dohza, do you know how much the course costs? Also, if you do go where are you going to live at. Are you just going to commute.

I'm not sure if I'll go because as I understand it, they'll teach it again during the school year.

it's 400 bux and i might live by western in the pad i'm gonna get for while i'm in school

true they'll teach it in school
but it won't hurt to get a head start especially since i've been outta school for 2 years

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard from LOTS of people that the summer program (SAPP) was extremely helpful. Also, if you are invited to take ISAC, do it if you can. You still work hard during the first semester as a lab facilitator, but you have already taken the course/received your grade.

Hope this helps.

IMHO SAPP is waste of time, u're better off just start going thru netter urself. ISAC is not bad, b/c there's actually reward for your investment. However, some said ISAC people get burned out by the time spring semester comes around b/c they been in school for so long already w/o a break.

Originally posted by Sabre_DO
IMHO SAPP is waste of time, u're better off just start going thru netter urself. ISAC is not bad, b/c there's actually reward for your investment. However, some said ISAC people get burned out by the time spring semester comes around b/c they been in school for so long already w/o a break.

Please explain why you think it's a waste of time??? do you think takin anatomy and biochem at cal state next spring is better? and what do you mean "thru netter urself"?

thanks

I'm a first year at COMP.

Anatomy is an out and out beeyotch, so if you can do the ISAC, I'd recommend it. Anatomy takes up the majority of your time in the first semester so if you can avoid it, it'll help you in your other courses. The other stuff is a waste of time.

Going through Netter (which is the "bible" of anatomy books) isn't necessary. The questions that you get on your exams usually won't be found directly on Netter. Taking anatomy before you get here would be helpful. The course administrators assume that you have A LOT of knowledge prior to starting the class. They do not spend any time going over bones (like attachments, etc.) and REALLY ZIP through lectures. We finished everything but the head in about 3 1/2 months. Trust me. That's fast!

I think I'm gonna take ISAC if they'll let me. But I guess I gotta go through my Osteology atlas to brush up on the attachments, cuz it's been like 5 years. While it sucks to lose a summer, it sucks more to do crappy in two classes because you had to party just one more time.

Hey everyone,

Congrats on those who have gotten in! I had a few things to comment on:

I didn't do ISAC, or SAP or any coursework during the summer. To tell you the truth, I'm really happy I chose that. (Not to say that if you did it wouldn't be good of course).

I took 2 great vacations before I started and it was nice to start fresh for school. I formed a lot of great friendships during the first year..nothing like stressing with fellow students, staying at the anatomy lab till 12 am smelling foul. Forming study groups and identifying with everyone's stress. You build a lot of camaraderie during those times, with a lot of people.

The ISAC students were the TA's (if they scored a certain %) but I noticed they kept to themselves a lot during the first semester. The good part is that with no anatomy, (besides TA'ing it) you really do have a lot of time and more time to study (or slack off, whichever you prefer) :)

Either way will be fine...just have to ask yourself if you want to be burnt out early.

And I don't know about SAP...I know a lot of students that thought it wasn't really worth their time. But that's hearsay.

Arnold Cuenca
MS-IV
Western University of Health Sciences/COMP

Originally posted by aecuenca2
Hey everyone,

Congrats on those who have gotten in! I had a few things to comment on:

I didn't do ISAC, or SAP or any coursework during the summer. To tell you the truth, I'm really happy I chose that. (Not to say that if you did it wouldn't be good of course).

I took 2 great vacations before I started and it was nice to start fresh for school. I formed a lot of great friendships during the first year..nothing like stressing with fellow students, staying at the anatomy lab till 12 am smelling foul. Forming study groups and identifying with everyone's stress. You build a lot of camaraderie during those times, with a lot of people.

The ISAC students were the TA's (if they scored a certain %) but I noticed they kept to themselves a lot during the first semester. The good part is that with no anatomy, (besides TA'ing it) you really do have a lot of time and more time to study (or slack off, whichever you prefer) :)

Either way will be fine...just have to ask yourself if you want to be burnt out early.

And I don't know about SAP...I know a lot of students that thought it wasn't really worth their time. But that's hearsay.

Arnold Cuenca
MS-IV
Western University of Health Sciences/COMP

thanks for the imput arnold! i've heard the same about ISAC facilitators from others- that they tend to form their own cliques. i for one am way too extroverted to ever not want to be friends with anyone unless they're an a$$hole or a massive gunner type, and even then i'd give them a shot.

all in all, i think a summer of hell is worth it to 1) not have to worry about it 1st semester and 2) help your fellow classmates who might get higher grades bcause of it.

I have to give my 2 cents about SAPP. I took SAPP before first year because I had never taken anatomy and it was SO WORTH IT! Dr. Leo is THE BEST PROF at COMP and it will be the only time you will have one-on-one teaching from him. SAPP is what you make of it....I studied every night after SAPP and reviewed and figured out how to study for anatomy. I received one of the highest grades in Anatomy (including ISAC students + the rest of the class). Don't forget, even if you take ISAC in the fall, you still have to take Head and Neck in the spring with the rest of the class. SAPP was a great way to meet your future classmates and the TA's who helped teach w/ Dr. Leo will give you the skinny on what books to buy and what profs to watch out for. Finally, I think SAPP will teach you how to study for anatomy. Did I mention Dr. Leo was awesome? :laugh: :D

I too was a SAPP-er(for lack of a better term) and I would do it again in a heartbeat for several reasons.
1)It gave me a chance to begin school a little early, with no pressure, but also gave me a good idea of the intensity that school was gonna bring(as I was out of school for two years before begining COMP)
2)I met classmates early, and actually get settled into a study group, that for the most part carried on for the 2 years I was there.
3)I got to meet my "professors to be" Dr. Leo included(I echo Doc Martin about him), and got a lot of one on one attention
4) We were taught by the new 2nd years who had just been through everything that I was about to begin, and gave us PLENTY of hints, tips and mneumonics for remembering the tedious amount of anatomy minutia(sp?)....I am sure all SAPP people recall...Sally and those "filthy mattresses" and Texans "affinty" for Cold beer. Not that you can't and won't get these at other places...but you can get a preview and jump on things you will have to know in great detail.
4)There was no attendance policy, and there was no stress...for me, and I think many others...it was quite an eye opener of things to come
5) As of last year they added a Pharm component, and also a biochemistry component(this is the ONE class you DO NOT WANT TO FAIL)...granted you will not learn pharm or biochem, but a med school level introduction to the subjects is probably different than past experiences with the topics.

I think people enter med school at different levels, in different places and certainly with different levels of preparedness...so different people have different needs...

I moved from the East Coast...and found the extra time in Pomona, as well as the 3 week ease into classes invaluable, and still to this day am GREATFUL to Dr.Leo, and the now 4th years who spent part of their summer to teach us.

We have no vested interest or goal in promoting the course..just sharing our experiences....

Just a side note, SAPP was soo popular last year that it closed out and people were turned away...so if you are interested and are fortunate to have gotten accepted already....it is worth seriously thinking about.

Best of Luck to you all...whatever you decide to do!!!

so DoHzA, are you definitely going to COMP next fall?

That's Right Dr. Jigga Jack

:thumbup: :hardy: :thumbup:

Originally posted by DoHzA
That's Right Dr. Jigga Jack

:thumbup: :hardy: :thumbup:

alright! see you there. i'd like to try and get some people together beforehand to meet and stuff. it would be nice not to wander around on the first day feeling like it's junior high all over again.

Originally posted by that dr. jack
it would be nice not to wander around on the first day feeling like it's junior high all over again.
I remember those days. So sad...

will we not be meeting in SAPP?

will we not be meeting in SAPP?

I've already taken a ton of anatomy and biochem so I'll be doing ISAC if I can get in. I think we're there at the same time though. My course is wayy more expensive, and that kinda sucks.

how do u get invited to Isac?

I'm confused. I thought ISAC and SAPP were the same thing. I know I heard about a program where you had to have something like above 8's on each section of the MCAT and above a certain gpa.

how do u get invited to Isac?

I was told by esther in admissions. I know you theoretically need a certain gpa and mcat, but I heard if you ask, so I should be able to get in. I'm just going to ask, and hopefully it shouldn't be a problem. I've taken two full anatomy courses, along with osteology, done research in comparative bio, excavated human skeletal remains for the coroner's office, and I helped teach the lab portion of human anatomy (with cadavers! Woo hoo!) for three semesters. I'll be so bummed if that's not enough to get me into ISAC.