COMP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

alexcc_ms

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Woah, I'm at the end of my first year here and I have some advice and warnings for all you prospective students out there.
Advice: If you get in ANYWHERE else go there.
Warnings: The faculty and staff at this school are apathetic and self-centered. They really enjoy to see people fail and go out of their way to hinder your education (not all of them, but almost half of them).
Prejudice and lying among some of the new heads of Departments is common and supported by the University.
Of course if you're really good at kissing ass and never need any help you'll make it through just fine.
I've been lied to many times at this school. Watch out. When I was applying to med-school I thought all posters on this board just supported their individual schools. I never read much about COMP, now I know why. I think people are more likely to say good things about their schools. I wish I never came to this school. I repeat what so many of my class mates often say, "I hate this school."
I came because of location. Shoulda gone to NYCOM.
If you want to be supported, If you want your ideas listened to, If you want your education facilitated, If you want to feel like you matter at the school you attend,... Don't go to COMP !!!

Members don't see this ad.

Wow, I was surprised to see a post like this from you. I have been following SDN for a few years and you always seemed so gung-ho on COMP.

Just to give you some positive vibes: I had a couple of your students on rotations with me, and they were good students. One of them got into a very competitive residency (more competitive than surgery -- this year anyway...) -- a very driven student who just ignores all obstacles (including negative feelings against DO students at my institution) and achieves all goals. I don't want to give out personal info, but even with the pain-in-the-ass administration at COMP, this person still got the into #1 choice.

It's hard for me to believe people actually lie. Are you sure about this? Maybe there was a misunderstanding? Is it that bad or were you extremely pissed when you wrote that post?

Don't mean to be a pain in the butt, but lots of premeds email me privately because they know I am in L.A. and like to ask me about COMP. I usually give it the thumbs up (with some qualifications -- being scattered to the 4 winds for rotations always seemed like a pain to me) because I had a good impression from them from others.

Thanks for your response.

Hi there,

I will have to disagree with you alex. Though alex does have a few points regarding some of the things that have happened here at COMP, overall I believe people are (generally)happy to be here. Though it has been difficult having to deal with classes as well as instructors and administration, a lot of them are open to ideas and want to help. I can say this from a personal standpoint because for almost this entire semester, as Vice-President of our class, I have had to deal with Administration and faculty on several issues. I have had numerous meetings with all of them. I have to listen to the concerns of our class practically everyday and I address them to the appropriate channels. And from this experience, I can honestly say that there are more positives that outweigh all of the negatives here at COMP. At any medical school you will find postives and negatives. No medical school is perfect. I look at the clinical faculty who come to teach us, especially the COMP alumni, and I am always impressed with their knowledge and their life experiences. I am sorry that you feel the way you do alex. It has been a very difficult semester, for all of us.

I for one am happy to be here. I am in medical school, learning to become the best osteopathic physician I can be. Despite the negatives that we go through, in the end, it is worth it. But this is my personal experience and I do not speak for everyone.

Thanks for listening,

Arnold

Members don't see this ad :)
Originally posted by alexcc_ms:
[QB]Shoulda gone to NYCOM.
QB]

o.k. for one, you seem either really pissed off or really stressed out or really bitter. i won't begin trying to convince you that COMP is awesome or otherwise. all i know is that NYCOM is not much better. when i was looking at schools, NYCOM was at the bottom of my list. poor facilities, lack of school pride, slow or nonexistent communication with admissions staff and administration, and location sucks a big one. only thing i saw going for them was their NYC rotations.

if you need an emotional boost for reasons why people want to go to COMP (or if you want to burst our bubble) check out the 250+ messages posted on the OSTEOPATHIC-WESTERNU/COMP 2005 forum. you people are going to get a kick out of us.

see ya next year.
~j
COMP '05

Couple of more points to make...
Students here do not have the benefit of receiving lecture notes prior to the lecture.
In fact getting a copy of the lecture notes at all is not guaranteed. According to the staff it's not their responsibility.

Want to record a lecture for future study (like when you finally get the notes after begging another busy med-student to accompany you to Kinko's)?
You need to ask a professor before you record them. One professor knocked over a student's cassette recorder in the middle of recording. They'd rather destroy (or steal) your property than be responsible enough to ensure that what they are presenting is accurate.

Like I said AE-VP, You'll get along ok at COMP if you're a good ass kisser. I like you personally, but the fact that administration LISTENED to a class officer doesn't impress me much. Were you able to make any changes?
You have to treat these people no matter how narrowminded and ignorant they are like they are infallible. The arrogance that many competent physicians have warned me against developing is alive and well in some of the professors here. Ever heard the saying, "Those who can do and those who can't teach."
I swear, some loser who went to DO school back when the average MCAT was in the single digits and today lives in an imaginary ivory tower of intellectual superiority that he built for himself gets to pass judgement on me, possibly jeopardizing my entire future... That's screwed up! And where are the checks and balances? The incompetent judgment is appealable, but the heirarchy won't look at the facts; they support the initial decision invariably.

wow alex is there one defining incident that happened to u that made u hate comp with such passion.. if so please let us know... what has brought out such hatred....

are u gonna transfer out cuz the way u sound, it doesnt seem like u would want to be there for another 3 yrs.

anyways im sure med school is as good as one makes it be

Just putting in my two cents....

alex is not alone.... Just recently I had a friend who was so gung ho with COMP that that was her first choice, but after talking to several students.... she won't even want to apply there anymore.

I also have an acquaintance there as a first year student and he has express the blatant cheating going around and everything else that alexcc_ms has expressed in the initial email.

I hope that whatever it is that is bugging alexcc_ms, that something is going to be done about it.

I'm sure that every medical school has problems and things that need to be improved upon.. perhaps drastically at times. I understand that talking to current students is probably the best way to gain valuable information as to what a school is like, but sometimes one may not get the big picture but talking to a few students that are not as positive about the school as others. I went to a college hearing plenty of rumors about cutthroats, sabotage, and intense competition. While the majority of the rumors were unfounded, there was still that competitive atmosphere that alienated some students. I do think this sort of tension will exist no matter what med school we end up going to.

Anyway, instead of mentioning all negative aspects of the school, are there any positives you can think of at all??? You can understand how incoming students might feel.. what if we had talked to a few disgruntled students at your own med school and mentioned all these problems on the message forums? I appreciate bringing up concerns so that we'll be aware of them as the incoming class and hopefully something can be done about them.

thank you melancholy
hope there are "a few" positives you can mention :D

Hey if this is the only school you get into then you'd be crazy not to come. I'm still pretty pissed with the school. Most schools do backflips to keep students in their programs. Here, those who experience academic trouble early on, rather than being supported, are dismissed. Unfortunately, while admissions actively tries to recruit ethnic minorities, the break-up of students kicked out this year approaches 100% blacks and hispanics (if I'm missing someone let me know). Sad but true.
I certainly don't think it's genetic and won't even argue it. Cultural is more like it. It takes time to adjust, but don't ask COMP to understand.

Alex,
I am truely dismayed to hear this about COMP. DO schools have historically payed greater attention to the undersserved and ethnic communities, and this seems counter to that tradition.

In general, the only reason for not supporting students in academic difficulty is the desire to preserve a "batting average." It is prestigious to be able to say you had a 100% board pass rate, high residency 1st-3rd choice match percentage, etc. If you boot students having problems early on, then you don't have to count them in your statistics. Sometimes, schools do have to dismiss students, but generally this is after many attempts at rehabilitation. The drop out rate for medschools is about 1-3% per class over 4 years (depending on which stats you use), and USUALLY for nonacademic reasons. More than 1-3 students dropping out per class year for acadmic reasons is unusual.

Some questions for you re. COMP (if you don't mind...):
1. How they fill those empty slots in rotations? I mean, if they dismiss too many students, they end up with a small graduating class. Do they take a lot of transfers?
2. Does COMP have a minority student affairs office? Are they involved in intervening on these students' behalf?
3. Does COMP have a 5-year program extending the first two years of med school for those in academic difficulty?
4. What does student government have to say about this? They are your representatives (and those of students dismissed), and it seems to me to be their job to address these issues.
5. Does you school have an honor committee? How do they address honor code violatins (like cheating) at your school?

Thanks.
Ana

I too am a first year COMP student. I am an older student with a wife and kids and all of the other problems that medical students have, and I am doing really well in my first year. I am tired of the small monority of students that cry and moan about the state of COMP. The students that were booted out totally deserve to go down, especially the 5th years. I am extremely glad that Dean Lenz stopped the 5th year program. In my opinion that program was abused by students that could not hack the regular program. I know people will bring up unique circumstances about why the program should exist, but I disagree with all of excuses. Med school is tough, period!! But take responsibility for your own short comings. Don't blame the program or the faculty. I know alot of people that did extrememly well in spite of their problems. My advice is: shut up, buck up and grow up!! And if you don't like the school, do us all a favor and move on!!

First of all, I am not a first year student in COMP and seizure is partly right and partly wrong.

There are legitimate reasons why some people express discontent with COMP and to shut up about it is to remain ignorant about the issue. I say, go ahead and post in the forum for those that want to express their concerns but like everything else in this forum, we all have to filter out those that are bad from the good. I feel that it is necessary to express thoughts and feelings about a school for others to see and make an informed decision about.

seizure, sorry you're fed up with the "minority" but I think some folks like alexcc_ms must have had a great enough concern to post what he/she had to post. From talking to others and attending conferences by COMP, I don't think it is a minority. You just seem to be blindsided with the issue.

I have nothing against COMP, and don't want to put down the school. But we can't all just "shut up" to satisfy a "minority" who want people to "shut up" because they can't face other's opinions.

Thanks for your two cents, seizure.... and this is just my two cents. :cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to add my 2 cents also. I have some good things to say about COMP and some bad things. These are just my observations and personal opinions after having visited COMP for an interview and being accepted.

There are a couple of good points about COMP.

1. Students who want to stay in CA have many residencies and clinical rotations available to them. COMP is well established in CA more so than any other DO school including Touro.

2. The school is expanding. For example, the new library is really something to marvel at. It is probably one of the better libraries available to DO students.

Some bad points

1. I was really interested in a school with unity among the students and faculty. I'm afraid I really didn't see any on the particular days I visited COMP. At other schools I interviewed at, students came up and actually shook our hands and talked to us when we were on tour. The administration, including the secretaries stopped what they were doing and stood up to welcome us. There was nothing of the sort at COMP.

2. For interviews that day, none of the 3 panel interviewers showed up. We waited 20 minutes for an interviewer who was called at the last minute to interview us. The guy interviewing basically said he would not be there when the admissions committee made their decision but that a peice of paper he was taking notes on would. The interview turned out to be more of a note taking session.

3. The two students who gave us a tour really gave their honest opinions of things. They were satisfied with COMP in general but admitted there were many things that needed to be changed such as the way things were run. Some of the faculty at COMP were great while some were really not very congenial at all.

If there is anything I would recommend to future docs considering COMP, it would be to trust your own instincts and feelings when you visit. Inevitably, I really think you have to go to a school your gut tells you to go to. Unfortunately, COMP wasn't the school for me but it was for others. Be warned, COMP isn't perfect, yet I don't know what school really is.

:p

Aloha Kid, just wanted to say thanks for sharing that.... Though I'm from CA, I chose DMU because of that same advice you just gave. Trust your guts and you'll know whether or not you will feel welcome/belong in that school. Like you said, no school is perfect. Trust me when I say that DMU has its fair share of negative postings in this forum.... To those going to COMP.... You guys have a nice trend going in the forum. That shows some unity, I guess, for at least those in this forum. Good luck and looking forward to being a colleague someday.

Seizure, when I referred to 100% of students being booted as either black or hispanic, I was talking about 1st year class of 2004 students. I was not referring to five year students. Am I glad the program was done away with? Hell, no. Why would you be? You'd have to be a real a--hole to be glad about something like that.
I guess you have a real future in administration here at COMP. They love closed minded people like you.

Hi guys,
I think I probably gathered the same positives and some of the negatives Aloha Kid previous mentioned from my time spent on campus during OMAC and during the interview day. The students who gave us tours were pretty honest when it came to how various students felt about the school and management, but it did sound like they tried to make the best of the situation.

Contrary to Aloha Kid's experience on interview day, mine's went extremely smooth and was very relaxing. In my case, I did go with my gut instinct and chose COMP. In addition to trying to take a positive attitude going into the school year, I'm hoping there will be some changes.. or perhaps my incoming class will be able to provide constructive input that will help the school continue to improve.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear how bitter Alexcc_ms sounds.. especially that personal remark (to Seizure regarding his own personal views about the school). Everyone comes from diff. backgrounds and can have such a wide range of experiences at school.. both good and horribly bad. I thought the point was how you deal with problems and persevere in the face of adversity. If you think everything is unbearable at the school, maybe you have to evaluate how far you're willing to go to keep with COMP or consider transferring to anywhere else you think you might be happier. In the end, I hope you'll somehow stick with COMP to the point where things might get better. I think your experience will definitely help the rest of us know what to be aware of and perhaps what concerns to address in the future.

Just my thoughts..

so alex, what do you plan to do in your future? are you gonna stick it out at comp or try to go elsewhere? i feel very bad that you have had to go through what you have, but i know of a couple other first years that were upset with comp many months ago that are now happy to be there. they all went through a difficult adjustment period... some more difficult than others. but don't you think that since you are there anyways, you should try and make the best of your time instead of putting yourself through a personal hell? i wish you the best... :)

Alex,

I agree with Smiles. You don't have to like the system at COMP, but you can definitely hang tough. I'm positive you will do just that. Hopefully your 3rd and 4th year rotations will be better in that you don't have to deal with COMP directly.

As for now, I think you should just keep venting away. Your thoughts may piss others off, but they definitely help others too.

melancholy - persevere in the face of adversity
smiles - try and make the best of your time
Aloha Kid - hang tough...keep venting away
You guys/gals rock! Thanks for understanding and supporting me. I'll be fine. One more year on campus, then I'm gone.

COMP kicks a$$!! i agree, u gotta hang tough when the going gets rough. but regardless of what school you choose, there are bound to be some administration problems. ...beats substitute teaching! i dont knock you for speaking your mind, i want to say im happy to be starting medical school at COMP.

After spending two years at COMP, I can agree and disagree with some of the comments stated. I can tell you all that COMP has improved this past year. There is a new culture at COMP!
To those graduating and disgruntled first-years, I can say that you had it easier. The curriculum has been shortened and the repetition of lecture material has also decreased. The new dean, faculty (new pharmacology professor), and clinical chairs will do good for the school. I believe the new curriculum by subject approach rather than system approach will be beneficial to new students. My most important point needs to be mentioned- when things change at a school, things don't happen smoothly! Stop complaining, and I believe that COMP will be regarded as a strong osteopathic medical school in the future.
For me, I have had my good and bad days at COMP. And every medical student across the US has them. Medical schools have their problems. I think we lose the fact that we are fortunate to be in an US medical school. I'm just happy that I'm away from COMP and on rotations.

All I have to say is let people make up their own minds about where they want to go to school. I will be attending COMP this fall and am sick and tired of people telling us that its a mistake and waving flags of horrible stories, and mass cheating on exams. I understand that some of these statements are being made out of good intent, but please give us some credit... Most of us have done a lot of research into COMP and are completely Jazzed about the upcoming year. I agree you are probably right... there are mostly likely some problems with the school... but HELLLOOOO!
Most of the Undergraduate schools were probably as bad or evern worse.
I would like to encourage all of you new COMPers to take into consideration what these other students are saying, but remember that we can either choose to be negative based on someone else's experience or we can get even more excited and show up to school ready to do well and have the time of our lives. I can't wait to meet you all...
take care

Tigg

Like everything else in life.... It's what you make of it....

Hey, isn't "Mind.... Body.... Soul..." the motto of Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine? Maybe it's the same as COMP, just interested.... I just checked.... KCOM's is Mind, Body, Spirit.... interesting how that would be the same, huh?

Actually....

Its from an essay I wrote in my applications.
Interesting that it would be almost identical to that of Kirksville. Coolio.
Thanks for the info... its not anything from
COMP... just referring to Osteopathy in general.

Tigg,

Cool.... Congrat on COMP!!! An achievement not to be taken lightly.... Your motto's like KCOM....Hey, maybe that's why you're made it in an osteopathic school.... Congrat again. COMP is a good school with a good reputation.... among other things.

For those reading this trend remember to take everything with a grain of salt.

i wanted to bump this thread i came across from 3 years ago; many students had similar concerns/questions some of us may have about some of the negative feelings toward COMP; although this thread is probably outdated; i still think its important in a "historical" sense

thoughts?

Originally posted by FowlersGap
i wanted to bump this thread i came across from 3 years ago; many students had similar concerns/questions some of us may have about some of the negative feelings toward COMP; although this thread is probably outdated; i still think its important in a "historical" sense

thoughts?

oh yes- i had plenty of thoughts when i read this, but i will leave out the worst swearing:

if you are a generally unhappy person with a HUGE sense of entitlement, bitterness about not getting into an MD school and have spent your life being told you're special and smarter than everyone else, then OF COURSE it's not your fault when you do shi*ty in school and feel like a failure. it's the administration! it's the professors! it's the other students! they're all keeping me from being the best!

maybe it's the first time you've ever felt this way, maybe you've spent your entire life doing everything half-assed and then complaining and blaming all those around you. whatever it is, seeing **** like this over and over on SDN gets boring. ray charles could see your insecurity. cultivating fear on a freaking message board for pre-meds is such a cop-out. it's shooting fish in a barrel.

i have to wonder where these people went to undergrad, because they make it sound like a crappy administration is unique to COMP. i am an alum of the largest university in the largest university system in california. 38,000 people went to my school. and yet, somehow i managed to graduate in 4 years. and i'm not as smart as YOU are! then i went back, at the bottom of the list for registering for classes, to get another degree. i didn't do it by bitching the whole time and expecting others to get me into the classes i needed for medical school.no one will ever be responsible for getting you through this, no matter how much you think your $31,000 is worth.

i don't care if you're unhappy. i don't care if you hate COMP. grow the f*ck up and deal with it. how do you think working in medicine is like? do you honestly believe that COMP should wipe your a$$ for four years? who's gonna wipe it when you graduate? i'd hate to see what happens when you discover that filipino nurses really control the hospital, not you.

i hope to buddha that all the other COMP 2008 peeps will not freak out when seeing postings like this, no matter how old or new they are. let's be the class that has a huge majority of positive students with plenty of personal responsibility. let's throw away our silly i'm-a-special-snowflake complexes and act like adults.

and spare me the "you don't go there yet, so you don't know" bullsh*t. the only reason people say things like that is to induce uncertainty in others, thus maintaining their status as a perceived expert. my supervisor at work tries the same tactic, and it doesn't hide her incompetence one bit.

</snarky rant>

you don't go there, so you don't know!!!

j/k, i was reading this and didn't realized til the second page that the thread was 3 yrs old. and Yeah, COMP's administration is frustating but the diversity is nice

Interesting thread. The way I see it is that all that matters are the results. The match list is top notch and the rotations are excellent because you can rotate at good hospitals in southern CA. To me these advantages outweigh the crap that I may have to go through for two years.

Who cares if the administration gives us problems because frankly it won't affect how we practice as physicians and it is probably more of an annoyance rather than anything else. Honestly, such annoyances are not that strong enough to make me want to go to a medical school in the east.

All I care about are the results and what I've seen has impressed me about COMP, which overrides these annoyances.

Its been a while since I have had the time to read these postings.

This thread has the usual mix of stuff.

Before I get into it - if you want to go to school in California and dont get into USC, UCLA, UCI, UCSD or Loma Linda- COMP is in Southern California- it was perfect for me. Geography ruled supreme. I like being a DO - and would have gone to any school I was accepted to in SoCal. I was only accepted to COMP in California. I declined MD interviews outside of California.

When I decided between KCOM and COMP this is what I thought. I think it was correct. COMPs 1st 2 years are not the most well taught and were unpleasant, while the rotations 3/4th year were awesome. Whereas other DO school have better 1/2nd years their rotations do not offer the convenience of rotating through the different SoCal hospitals.

COMP DOES ITS JOB FINE. COMP IS IN SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA. OTHERS SCHOOLS MAY DO THEIR JOB BETTER, BUT WHERE DO YOU WANT TO END UP? iF YOU WANT TO END UP IN CALIFORNIA - TO REAL WORLD DME/PGS THERE ARE 2 DO SCHOOLS THEY HAVE HEARD OF COMP (OR WUSS AS THEY ABBREVIATE IT- INSTEAD OF WUHS) AND THE OTHER SCHOOLS. THEY KNOW OUR SCHOOL. OTHERS ARE NOT WELL KNOWN-THOUGH TOURO IS UP AND COMING.

As far as the COMP and the whole trying to "wead out thing". The school has no support mechanism and zero advising throughout the whole stay here. If you have trouble, you need to rely on your friends. My peers at COMP are the best thing about this school. There used to be an old gang at COMP. When Dr. Hicks passed away and Kasovak left - before Dirty Useless Dr. Lenz arrived (only my opinion) things changed and are still in motion. If you fly below the radar and are picked up, you have to take evasive manuevers. If you get shot down - the worst thing the school does is make you repeat the whole year and extort another years tuition. Not so bad- you audit the classes and get a heads up for next year when you take the class for a grade.

No one goes to school expecting to perform poorly. You should all be enter school expecting to pass everything- maybe not get straight A's but pass. Most people do pass and most people do have an uneventful passage through the 1st half of COMP.

COMP costs a --------- of $$$$ and it does what it is supposed to do. I am rotating at a UC and no cares where I am visiting from. I am dictating, scrubbing in, writing scripts, &c...

Every school that does not have a pass/fail system the 1st years is going to suck. If you had the stellar numbers and you worked harder before then you have earned attendance at one of these top notch schools that reward the students who were able to get into their programs. If your numbers are not stellar- suck it up, shut it up, and do your time.

The light at the end of the tunnel is well worth it.

Nice Cliff. I'm pretty much in your situation and have generally the same opinion that you do about COMP's rotational years. Thanks for providing more info about it.:)

This was quite an interesting thread. As an new DO student for the class of 2008, I for one, am excited to be attending COMP. I don't know the specifics of what the original student who started the thread was going through, but it doesn't seem all that bad to me. I'm finishing up my degree at UC Berkeley, a school known for its population of over 31,000 students. Lets see if you can talk to a counselor in that space. And we all know the rumors that go around at that school of the back stabbing, cheating, "I dont want to help you because you'll ruin the curve" student. Believe me, I've seen it all. And I survived.

Am I mistaking when I say this, but I believe that we are all on our way to becoming physicians. I take pride in saying that I have worked hard, cried endless tears over midterms, and wiped my sweat from my brow just to see the sunshine. Come on, we're better than this. This world is not fair, so lets not demand that medical school will be either. If we cannot survive a few bumps on our road to becoming doctors, what will we do when step foot into a hospital where no one has the time to hold our hands, where we have to see patients in 10 minutes or less, or we can't find a pen to write our prescriptions? And what will we do if (god forbid it ever happen) our first patient doesn't survive the treatment, because lets face it, we are not god.

We are (future) doctors. We are a unique bunch. Lets just do what we do best.

-instrumental
COMP class of 2008 (and proud of it)

Originally posted by instrumental
This was quite an interesting thread. As an new DO student for the class of 2008, I for one, and excited to be attending COMP. I don't know the specifics of what the original student who started the thread was going through, but it doesn't seem all that bad to me. I'm finishing up my degree at UC Berkeley, a school known for its population of over 31,000 students. Lets see if you can talk to a counselor in that space. And we all know the rumors that go around at that school of the back stabbing, cheating, "I dont want to help you because you'll ruin the curve" student. Believe me, I've seen it all. And I survived.

Am I mistaking when I say this, but I believe that we are all on our way to becoming physicians. I take pride in saying that I have worked hard, cried endless tears over midterms, and wiped my sweat from my brow just to see the sunshine. Come on, we're better than this. This world is not fair, so lets not demand that medical school will be either. If we cannot survive a few bumps on our road to becoming doctors, what will we do when step foot into a hospital where no one has the time to hold our hands, where we have to see patients in 10 minutes or less, or we can't find a pen to write our prescriptions? And what will we do if (god forbid it ever happen) our first patient doesn't survive the treatment, because lets face it, we are not god.

We are (future) doctors. We are a unique bunch. Lets just do what we do best.

-instrumental
COMP class of 2008 (and proud of it)

nice post!

Good going guys and gals!
I like the spirit of COMP's class of 2008.Hopefully I'll be a part of this wonderful group of peole that I have been reading about all over the website.
I absolutely loved the school and Cali!