Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Comparative Literature and English pre-req's

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by FireDragoonX, Apr 10, 2007.

1. FireDragoonX

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Does Comp. Lit satisfy the English prerequisites that American medical schools have?

This is the course I want to take:
    COMP LIT 1A03 INTRODUCTION TO COMPARATIVE LITERATURE I
    Students engage in the close study of selected literary works from texts of antiquity to the beginnings of modern literature. Considerable attention is given to the development of critical skills in reading and writing.

Or should I take an English course that has 'English' in the course code? eg. ENGLISH 1B03 CULTURAL STUDIES AND VISUAL CULTURE
    An introduction to cultural studies focusing on the critical and conceptual tools for the analysis of various forms of visual culture (e.g., photography, film, television, advertising, new media technologies). Considerable emphasis is placed on the development of effective writing skills.

Thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. dbhvt

dbhvt Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    As a previous comp lit student, the first course should fulfill the requirement, but your best bet would be to call/email schools that you are interested in and ask them. If you have no idea where you are going to apply, you might try emailing a few representative schools with friendly admissions staff. A suggested list: 1) your state school, 2) Duke, 3) UIowa, 4) UPitt, 5)Tulane, 6) Mt. Sinai.

4. lina123321

lina123321 ralph: im a unitard
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    why are u asking us?...ask ur premed adviser and/or the schools ur gonna apply to

5. AnEyeLikeMars

AnEyeLikeMars Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I agree with you, but if people actually did that SDN would die ;)
    God forbid anyone finds the SDN search function or Google

6. silverlining1

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

7. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Some schools (Mt. Sinai comes to mind) only accept classes offered by the English department for the English pre-req.

8. FireDragoonX

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Thanks for the replies, dbhvt and ADeadLois.

Also to the others, I did search. The only relevant thread before was about foreign literature courses and the question didn't really seemed to be answered.

I'll email a few schools as well, just wanted to get peoples opinions first.

9. silverlining1

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    I hope I was not offensive; I just found AnEyeLikeMars' comment very funny because I have noticed many repetitive posts. I did not mean to laugh at your post, and I too had not seen this question asked before.

To actually give some input, I had called UCLA and they said CompLit was okay. Thanks to the others who recommended calling other schools as well; I was not aware that Mt. Sinai only takes English classes.

10. GreenShirt

10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Heck, I didn't know that I had to have 2 semesters of English to apply to medical school. I'm two yrs out of college and I had to go back and take another English course to apply....so annoying! I guess it's good that the OP is looking into this matter now. Having to scramble to fulfill prereqs before matriculation is a pain in the butt.

11. AnEyeLikeMars

AnEyeLikeMars Member
    7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Just for the record I wasn't criticizing your thread or even specifically referring to your post. Feel free to ask any questions you want, that was this is for.

It's just the ultimate irony that SDN might be one of the worst places to get information because it's all hearsay.

To actually address your question, it will depend on the the school. For example, I placed out of (and received credit for) 1 year of english based on my SAT verbal. Since I have 1 year of college credit in English, most schools were fine with that. Vanderbilt doesn't take any sort of advanced placement credit for prereqs, so they just told me to fill out the English section with writing-intensive humanities courses.

If you're not taking Engl 101 and 102 (or whatever basic intro college english is), does that mean you have AP credit? That might be enough. Otherwise, anything in the English department should count and Comp Lit would probably be acceptable to schools.

12. ADeadLois

ADeadLois Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Neither was I. I e-mailed the schools I applied to (I didn't have a full-year of English classes) to ask if other classes could substitute. Whoever responded to the Mt. Sinai e-mail said only English Dept. classes worked.

13. silverlining1

7+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    Damn... a full year... I guess I can't apply to Mt. Sinai =/

14. Law2Doc

Law2Doc 5K+ Member
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Agreed. I know of people who had to take an english class over their pre-matriculation summer because literature courses not offered by the english department did not qualify for their particular school. Check with the school what counts -- some are sticklers, some aren't.

15. Writer1985

Writer1985 Mistress of Spices
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    The ironic thing is that the comp lit course is probably more like what the schools had in mind when they set the year-of-English requirement. Cultural studies is fun and all, but it's really more about visual media than verbal.