Compared to TPR's site....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OldManDave

Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't know about you guys; but I have utilizing The Princeton Review site up to now...NO LONGER! This site blows away TPR for ease of use, speed and Osteopathic info. It is however lacking in info on the allopathic schools...so I'll have to plod along on TPR to keep up to speed there.

I'll disseminate this site address on TPR

------------------
'Old Man Dave'

Members don't see this ad.

I'm glad you enjoy our site, Dave. I visit the TPR on occasion but I find that the osteopathic information presented is both inaccurate and useless. I have found an amazing pattern of how osteopathic postings seem to flow at TPR. The discussions seem to go like this:

* Premedical student A asks if D.O.s can become neuro or orthopedic surgeons.

* Premedical student B says no.

* Osteopathic medical students offer websites of successful osteopathic surgeons.

* Premedical student B says these D.O.s must have been accepted to residency programs based on political connections or any other reason but competence or merit. Therefore, they are exceptions and so they don't really count.

So the individuals there seem to be osteopathically uninformed, biased and do not want to be confused with facts.

Anyway, welcome to the site, Dave.

sig1.gif

Thanks for the warm welcome...another thing TPR is sadly lacking, earnest HUMAN contact...scary in how that mimicks the overall allopathic philosophy?

It is disconcerting how allopathic schools are adopting what are traditinally osteopathic values and calling them 'innovations.' Yet, a significant portion of the allopathic applicant pool continues to deride DO schools.

For myself, the more I research osteopath vs. allopath, the more strongly I lean toward osteopathic medicine. My own profile seems a better complement what the osteo schools seek. Also, the type of medicine I wish to practice would appear to be more well served with osteopathic training.

Should it become necessary for me re-apply next cycle, I will primarily focus on the osteopathic schools.

Sincerely,

------------------
'Old Man Dave'

Members don't see this ad :)
We sound a lot alike, Dave. I remember about two years ago my uncle forwarded me an e-mail that was a news article addressing a recent allopathic conference where it was determined that holistic care of the patients should be emphasized more in medical education. The article suggested that this was a great turning point in American medical education.

Needless to say, I laughed hysterically and e-mailed my uncle telling him that the osteopathic profession has believed this for over 100 years. I also told him that any "trends" in allopathic medicine generally have a long-standing history of practice in other allied/alternative health professions.

Osteopathic medicine is a philosophy whose time has come. Although I doubt we will receive much credit for those osteopathic beliefs that are becoming mainstream. I think this is evidenced by the number of physical therapy techniques that are inherently osteopathic but not recognized as such. Perhaps we deserve to be overlooked, though. We have long de-emphasized research in our profession. So while we can claim that we have been utilizing a therapeutic intervention with great success for over 100 years, if the allopathic profession is the first to empirically prove the success of our interventions, who do you think will get the recognition and publicity? They will, of course.

sig1.gif

Dave,

Welcome to osteopathic.com! There are a lot of cool people on this bulletin board who are quite knowledgeable about osteopathic medicine and are wiling to answer all your questions about the profession. I no longer visit the Princeton Review site, I find many of the pre-medical students there to be incredibly annoying. Instead of helping other people out with accurate information, they insist on perpetuating negative stereotypes on osteopathic medical students and physicians. What aggravates me the most is that many of these same people haven't even been accepted to ANY medical school, and they already feel entitled to look down on other health professionals who will not earn an M.D. degree. Well good luck with the apps and we hope you continue to visit us here.

EDGAR
Class of 2003
Western Univ. of Health Sciences/COMP

The amount of misinformation on the web about D.O.'s is enormous. It's also interesting to see how the same old rumors about osteopathic medicine come back with every new crop of pre-meds year after year! Still, I think that the "regulars" here at osteopathic.com should make it a priority to lurk on TPR, M.E.M., and other sites looking for misinformation. I've found that the most useful way to combat the misinformation is to post a curt reply and follow-up with URL's for sites with more reliable information. I know Gregory, Brian Maxwell, myself, and others have been doing this informally for some time now. Perhaps we should organize a "misinformation patrol" under the auspices of OMEGA.

Any thoughts?

[This message has been edited by drusso (edited 02-28-99).]

[This message has been edited by drusso (edited 02-28-99).]