1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Comparing Emergency to Anesthesiology

Discussion in 'Emergency Medicine' started by Frank Miller, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Frank Miller

Resident [Any Field]
    I'm in my prelim yr, scheduled to do the next 3 yrs in anesthesiology. I'm having second thoughts in that I enjoy patient interaction. Now that I've done a EM rotation, I'm considering terminating Anesthesilogy and applying for a EM residency. Your thoughts on EM? Burn out is what i'm most concerned about.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. quideam

quideam Too tired to complain
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Excellent thread discussing the issue of burnout in EM: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=100898

This is a thread discussing EM vs. Anesthesia: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=342266
    (it's also a preview of what this thread could deteriorate into...)

Also, please check out the Emergency Medicine FAQ sticky towards the top of this forum. It has a lot of great advice and answers to commonly-asked questions about EM, including the pros/cons, lifestyle, post-residency opportunities, etc. After that, if you have very specific questions, please feel free to post them! Good luck :)

Q

#2 quideam, Jan 4, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  4. Termwean

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    PM ventdependant. He is a guy that was in 3rd yr of gas res and just applied for EM match. Maybe he will tell you what he went through.