Comparing Ohio State and Medical University of Ohio

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

IRV

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm deciding between these two schools, and I want to make a decision this weekend (I hate holding onto multiple spots, because I know it's hard for those waiting and hoping.). Does anybody have insights on how these schools compare? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

IRV said:
I'm deciding between these two schools, and I want to make a decision this weekend (I hate holding onto multiple spots, because I know it's hard for those waiting and hoping.). Does anybody have insights on how these schools compare? Thanks!

I dont think there is much to think about here. I'm from OH and at least in my opinion OSU is vastly superior in most all ways. Very good national reputation and a few depts. that are at the head of their field (i.e. The James, the ortho dept). Go be a buckeye.

I don't think it is such an easy decision. Is it true that MUO has a higher board passage rate? Also, in comparing curriculums, I have been told that MUO eases students in a bit easier, and truly fosters teamwork and tries to decrease competitiveness. And if you search MUO's match list, they do a great job. I would look at your personality and pick what is right for you. Great doctors come from both institutions.

PS - Why are you still holding spots at both schools?

Members don't see this ad :)
CruiseLover said:
PS - Why are you still holding spots at both schools?

I just got into OSU yesterday, so I haven't been holding multiple spots for long (~1 day). I'm only taking this weekend to decide.

I guess the decision depends on the qualities you most strongly value in a med school. When I visited, MUO seemed like a cozy little place in a small town, with friendly faculty and students. I'm sure the curriculum there will ease you in better than OSU, but you may not be looking for that. If you have more of a competitive personality, and academic reputation and close city proximity are important to you, then OSU is the answer.

If I were in your shoes, I would go to OSU...hands down. I've lived in Ohio for most of my life, and my father went to OSU. I grew up in near OSU, so maybe I'm biased.

My Princeton buddy from Ohio chose Ohio State. He got a 40 on his MCAT. Nuff said. Ohio State is waaaaaaaaaay better. GREAT National reputation. This isn't even open for discussion. Close the forum down

There is nothing to think about. OSU is a much better school, better hospital, and better city to live in. I'm an Ohio girl and I know.

I grew up in Toledo (where MUO is). Trust me when I say that spending your young adulthood in Toledo will leave you terribly bored. OSU is a stellar school, please go there.

And for the record, I'm waitlisted at OSU. I still am telling you to go there.

I'm a student at MUO, so here's my two cents:

It depends on what you really want I think. OSU is a larger school with a larger reputation. MUO is a smaller school with a smaller reputation. That does not mean you'll get a superior education at OSU at all, and it doesn't mean you have a better chance of matching into a top residency. I have had interaction with people from OSU and they seem very happy about their choice. Same thing for MUO, and there are people who turned down OSU to go to MUO. I think the biggest noticeable difference is the cities that the two schools are in. While Toledo is significantly smaller than Columbus (about half the size) it's hardly a small town. There is definitely more to do in Columbus. However, there is plenty of stuff to do in Toledo, and I know I personally don't have the time to see and do everything in Toledo.

Some things to consider:
-I have heard from multiple sources that MUO covers more information in the first two years than OSU, and most schools for that matter. I guess it leads to more stress, but you *should* also learn more.
-I don't know OSU's pass rate, but MUO probably does have a higher step I pass rate than OSU. For 2005 MUO was in the top 10 schools in the country with a first time pass rate of 98.5%. While they are correlated, a higher pass rate does not necessarily mean a higher mean score. OSU may (or may not) have a higher mean score than MUO....I just don't know. MUO's average is a 218 I think.
-OSU is in classes until mid-June. MUO's last exam for first years was May 12th this year.
-MUO will be the University of Toledo COM due to the merger between the two institutions. Obviously the name UTCOM will have no repuation in medicine. However, there is tremendous upside, and the value of the name ebbs and flows over time.
-OSU has a very large class. If I remember correctly they had 230 or so first years. Next year may be even larger as they have said they are increasing their class sizes over the next few years. MUO's incoming class will be right at 145.
-OSU has the individualized study route, so if you don't want to go to class and would rather do things your way then OSU is probably the better way to go.

Hope this helps a little.

I was in your situation last year. Honestly, I liked MUO better, but for family reasons OSU was better.

You will get a good education at either school. Yes, OSU is higher ranked and has a better reputation, but MUO has a pretty good match list as well.

Class size at OSU this year was 214. The goal is usually ~210.

The biggest thing that sucks about OSU, IMO is the lack off time off between your first and second year - especially if you want to do research or travel. We have EXACTLY 8 weeks between year one and year 2 this year. (Med 1 IP's are officially done June 14). Or, if you're like me and are behind schedule in ISP, you get even less time off than that.

My advice - go where ever you think you will be happiest. If you think you will be equally happy at either school, then take reputation into consideration.

Most have been telling me that I couldn't go wrong choosing either place. A very wise surgeon plainly told me, though, that the clinical training makes OSU the better choice. The first two years are pretty similar at both schools, but the Columbus sees more interesting medical cases more often than Toledo. I think that MUO definitely has a cozier feel to it at first, but I am feeling quite welcomed at OSU so far. The largeness of the university is a little intimidating, but it is a trade-off for all it offers recreationally, etc.

Also, some residencies are so competitive that they require research experience, and research is going on in just about every area at OSU. Plus, OSU has the latest technology, and it appears to make it more efficient to study medicine.

Really, I think OSU was my top choice at the beginning, but I was getting so mentally prepared for MUO that it was daunting to change gears. Thanks to everyone who advised me.

Good choice and thanks for making the decision quickly as a courtesy for others on the waitlist. Much appreciated! :)

Congrats on being a Buckeye!

And let me just tell you, as a lifelong Ohio resident and Buckeye fan...

This November when the Buckeyes kick off against the state up north in the next chapter of the greatest rivalry in sports history, you'll be happy you're in the 'Shoe and not in gloomy Toledo!

(as a sidebar, in medical/career terms, I would rank OSU/Columbus waaay ahead of MUO)

Go Bucks!

MU.Redskin said:
Congrats on being a Buckeye!

And let me just tell you, as a lifelong Ohio resident and Buckeye fan...

This November when the Buckeyes kick off against the state up north in the next chapter of the greatest rivalry in sports history, you'll be happy you're in the 'Shoe and not in gloomy Toledo!

(as a sidebar, in medical/career terms, I would rank OSU/Columbus waaay ahead of MUO)

Go Bucks!

:rolleyes:

I do agree with the greatest rivalry in sports history though. I'll also be in the shoe this november, though not rooting for the buckeyes.
Go Blue!

I'm from Toledo. I happen to be intimately familiar with both institutions.

The only thing MCO (or "MUO" as they now call it) has over OSU is the parking situation. The latter has 50,000 students, many of them driving in, to about a 2 square mile area each day and parking is a perpetual hassle.

The city, the weather, the reputation, the quality of training, etc. is all better at Ohio State.