Comparing Path and PM&R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hayixie

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Which will be more popular and more competitive? Which will have a better job markets? Which has a better life style and pay? Which do you prefer?

Members don't see this ad.

I think the better question for you to ask yourself is which do you enjoy doing the most. Path and PM&R are completely different types of jobs. I find it hard to believe anyone would like both equally.

Both will have busy and bright futures with the aging baby boomers. Both will pay you lots of money. So just pick the one that makes you happy to go to work.

GP, thanks for the reply. I know it's hard to compare. That's why I ask for advices. I am a quiet person, love to do procedures. I have extensive research background related to pathology, and have been thinking of applying for path in the future. However, just recently, I began to know about PM&R which sounds like fitting my character, too. Because there is no PM&R program in my school, I have to ask for your comments. Please tell me more, anything you know or think of about the two specialties.
Thanks again.

Path,

Normally a relaxed enviornment, little direct patient care except for fine needle aspirations, bone marrow biopsies and apheresis. And, the patient care is as a consultant not the primary caregiver. Requires alot of reading and self-study. Requires good visual memory and good attention to detail. Good pay, especially when partner.

PM&R

I do not know much about PM&R. But, more like internal medicine than path.