Comparison of Midwest IM Programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Roadrunner

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts about the following Midwestern programs: Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Hennepin County, Creighton? For those of you in these programs how has your experience been so far? Any major sore spots?

For the rest of you, how do the reputations of these places compare? I know, some of you are costal snobs and you think there's nothing to be had in the midwest, but that's not what I'm looking to hear. Constructive thoughts please.

I think I already know what my ROL is, but I'd appreciate additional input. Cheers.

Members don't see this ad.

Roadrunner said:
What are your thoughts about the following Midwestern programs: Kansas, Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Hennepin County, Creighton? For those of you in these programs how has your experience been so far? Any major sore spots?

For the rest of you, how do the reputations of these places compare? I know, some of you are costal snobs and you think there's nothing to be had in the midwest, but that's not what I'm looking to hear. Constructive thoughts please.

I think I already know what my ROL is, but I'd appreciate additional input. Cheers.

1) Iowa
2) Minnesota
3) Kansas
4) Nebraska

Roadrunner said:

Recently, the chief of internal medicine at Missouri reataliated against a Hepatitis C expert who was leaving the hospital by giving the names of all of the Hep C expert's patients to another party...and he's still the chief as far as I know. Their Family Practice program is solid though, from what I've heard. I would stay away from MU unless you like small-town politics.

Members don't see this ad :)
nicholasblonde said:
Recently, the chief of internal medicine at Missouri reataliated against a Hepatitis C expert who was leaving the hospital by giving the names of all of the Hep C expert's patients to another party...and he's still the chief as far as I know. Their Family Practice program is solid though, from what I've heard. I would stay away from MU unless you like small-town politics.

Sorry, I'm going on a rant here... What's up with a pre-med student getting on the IM residency forum and posting a reply of uninformed gossip to a legitimate question. And doesn't even address the question of the OP! If I wanted a premed response I would have posted on that forum. I want feedback from M3s, M4s, and residents. Stick to what you know. And BTW, I don't give a rats a$$ about MU's FP program.

Roadrunner said:

I didn't interview at any of these places for medicine, but I did go visit both Iowa and Minnesota for fellowship interviews. And for what it's worth, I was impressed by the quality of both hospitals and the quality of residents at each. I don't know who's better, but I do know that Minneapolis kicks Iowa City's butt any day.

Are you looking at Indiana?? Very good IM training if you're interested...

Elahuhu said:
I didn't interview at any of these places for medicine, but I did go visit both Iowa and Minnesota for fellowship interviews. And for what it's worth, I was impressed by the quality of both hospitals and the quality of residents at each. I don't know who's better, but I do know that Minneapolis kicks Iowa City's butt any day.

Are you looking at Indiana?? Very good IM training if you're interested...
what about Mayo and Wisconsin. Considered either?

Roadrunner said:

You might consider Case. I don’t know of any current residents who are unhappy they chose this program. The faculty are not perfect (are they anywhere?), but mostly are great and are much more open and approachable that the faculty at my medical school. There are many well know NIH funded researchers who are willing to collaborate on projects with residents, and my superb bedside teachers. There is great camaraderie among the residents. This is my third year and the residents have done very well getting fellowships- including Cardiology. The program directors and Chief Residents are nothing if not supportive. The Chair is not always warm and fuzzy- but seems very supportive of the program, and is involved frequently with morning report, etc.
My medical school advisor told me to look at Case- as a top program without a competitive or cutthroat environment- and she was correct. From my days on the interview trail and from the people I know in academic Medicine- the only program in the Midwest that compared was Michigan- and as an OSU fan- I could not go there.