petstoreboy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 5, 2004
Status
First of all, I would like to say that I'm not posting this asking anyone to make my decision for me, just to gain insight. I have finally completed the process I've narrowed it down to CCOM and NSUCOM both of which I like. I am hoping some of you can give me insight into these programs. I am looking for the program that will best prepare me for a competitive residency in either FL or preferably CA. I really like the systems based approach at NSU, as well as the campus environment. CCOM appears to have good hospital rotations, but I don't know much about NSU's hospitals. CCOM also appears to give more electives in their rotation choices. Any insight you have would really help!

Eyecon82

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Nov 3, 2003
Visit site
Status
petstoreboy said:
First of all, I would like to say that I'm not posting this asking anyone to make my decision for me, just to gain insight. I have finally completed the process I've narrowed it down to CCOM and NSUCOM both of which I like. I am hoping some of you can give me insight into these programs. I am looking for the program that will best prepare me for a competitive residency in either FL or preferably CA. I really like the systems based approach at NSU, as well as the campus environment. CCOM appears to have good hospital rotations, but I don't know much about NSU's hospitals. CCOM also appears to give more electives in their rotation choices. Any insight you have would really help!
If you talk with many physicians, they will tell you that getting into a competitive residency depends mostly on your rotation grades, LOR's, and board scores. Since CCOM has the strongest clinical rotation program of all DO schools, you will receive a stronger education in clinical medicine. You will also be working side-by-side with med students from uic, loyola. northwestern, rush, u of c, chicago-med. There are a million hospitals in and around chicago. You will be exposed to many more clinicians than NSU. Which, in turn, will lead to stronger LOR's.

This is why I decided to come to CCOM.

jss2003

15+ Year Member
Jun 13, 2003
Visit site
Status
I agree with the last post that CCOM probably has better clinical rotations. I am a Nova student and I feel very comfortable with my experience at Nova. But the hospitals tend to be stronger in education up in Chicago. I have done some elective rotations in Chicago as well. However, if you are interested in coming to Florida to do a residency you should weigh that heavily in your decision. Many of the residency programs in Florida are very familiar with Nova. Many of our grads have gone on to allopathic residencies here in Florida. Not to say that if you go to CCOM you won't get into a Florida residency, but it helps to have connections. Besides, who wants to stay in cold weather when you can come to sunny Florida! :)

Robz

La Vie Boheme
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Aug 3, 2003
Drinking Texas Tea
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I just wanted to add something here. I agree that a good portion of CCOM rotations are great. No doubt there. I remember though that they had a system that did NOT promise you that you would end up in those rotations. Of course NSU has a lottery system for its 3rd and 4th years and for the most part it cool. I liked the idea and the opportunity for great rotations at CCOM but you may jsut end up in another area and not the big name hospitals the other medical schools have priority at.

I disagree with the statement of the rotations being the link to a great residency. That may be the case if you want to stay in chicago at that same hospital but I know its how you go about your business that gets you the worm. I can take a state school grad and you've seen them. They stand in the back, don't put in the extra hours, and get by. The main point here is be agressive and be proactive in those years.

Anyway, do your homework. I made a list of pros and cons and measured them up for me. Personally, I liked n broward general hospital system but I am keeping my options open and will do more research on my rotations as I progress through next year.