Compating Rush, Loyola, and UIC, which is better?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Mr. H

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Yeah, so I'm wondering what you guys have heard about these schools and if their are big differences between the three? Someone told me that Rush has hard time getting people into residency? I haven't really heard any solid comments on these schools though.
thanks

Members don't see this ad.

this topic has been discussed before. which school is better depends on what you're looking for--one is not unequivocally better than the other two. none are ranked but they're all solid schools and each has its own advantages. talk to different people and you'll get three different opinions on which one is really better. and no, rush has no trouble getting people into residencies (???)--if this were really true why would anyone want to go there? i'm thrilled to be going to rush (which i chose over UIC) and if getting a residency after graduation was really a problem for rush graduates, you can bet i wouldn't even have applied.

Loyola seems like an inceredibly student friendly place and seems to produce well adjusted students. In regard to the comparison, I talked with a student at Loyola (so the opinion is obviously biased) and he pointed out that RUSH's urology dept. had moved over to Loyola due to funding issues.

I dont know anything more about this, but it is what I heard.

Members don't see this ad :)
i don't know anything about rush's urology dept, but i know that the school isn't having any kind of financial problems considering they are in the midst of new construction projects. for ex, they're constructing a new research facility.

no school in the US has trouble getting anyone into US residencies. that's a definite advantage of going to a US med school. you may not get your first choice, of course, but that happens anywhere and the numbers of people who don't match in *anything* are pretty small across the board among med schools (although of course it depends on the exact specialty).

•••quote:•••Originally posted by sandflea:
•i don't know anything about rush's urology dept, but i know that the school isn't having any kind of financial problems considering they are in the midst of new construction projects. for ex, they're constructing a new research facility.

no school in the US has trouble getting anyone into US residencies. that's a definite advantage of going to a US med school. you may not get your first choice, of course, but that happens anywhere and the numbers of people who don't match in *anything* are pretty small across the board among med schools (although of course it depends on the exact specialty).•••••I totally agree with sandflea on this one. No u.s. accredited school has a hard time matching students into residency. Rush is a good school, whoever says other wise doesn't know what they are talking about. I especially like how cook county hospital is so close, and also how the program has institutionlized many community service projects, albeit, voluntary,..a majority of the students participate in.
I was really looking forward to attending rush, but i got in at Northwestern, and i simply can't turn that down.

Good luck to the class at rush

Here's my take on things... By the way, long-time reader, first-time poster. All 3 are among my top choices, so I've tried to get a good feel of each of them.

Rush - Rush is a solid school. The people I know who are in med school at Rush or are associated with it rave about it. The administration and faculty at Rush are very dedicated and are very open to helping the students. The atmosphere is very student-friendly. Lecture hours are a bit on the long side, something like 9-5. I haven't met a single student who was dissatisfied with their experience at Rush.

Illinois - A lot of the students I've talked to from the Illinois system show a lot of reservation about their school. I don't have the time right now to totally get into it, but basically in-state tuition is the biggest thing it has going for it. Student frustration in the 1st 2 years is rampant, at least at the Chicago campus. I think it has something to do with the way the system is set up. Don't get me wrong, there are many good things about Illinois med, but there's also a lot more baggage.

Loyola - Loyola has a very friendly atmosphere. I think they approach teaching medicine in a very holistic manner. The administration and faculty truly care about their students' education. I got a very good feeling from Loyola. Lecture hours are 8:30 -12:30. Small group discussions every couple days. They have one class at a time, so they'll have Cell bio for 8 weeks, then anatomy for 12 weeks...etc... Not to mention the facilities. I know that's not what one should be overly concerned with, but they are really nice.

That's all I have time for now. I actually have to get back to work. I work at Rush, coincidentally.

I second everything that Wallace said. I was quite a bit less impressed with UIC than Rush, and I didn't interview at Loyola. I'd say that everything in the previous post is pretty accurate.

In my post I didnt mean to slight RUSH at all. In fact, I applied there and hoped to get in as a friend of mine is enrolling there this fall. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH RUSH AS A SCHOOL. They place in residencies just as well as everyone else.

I was merely passing on what I had heard, not making any judgement (that is up to the original poster).

Hello guys, for any of you that have interviewed at Rush, have you been waitlisted? IF you've been accepted, are you holding/giving up your seat. I've been waitlisted and I just want to know if the waitlist will move at rush. thanks.

Well that's easy.. which one is closest to home? :wink: :) :p :D