Compensation increase with experience?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lothric

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey,

Assume a physician works in an undesired state due to H1B-visa sponsor. When green card is obtained after 2 years and that physician decides to move to let's say Texas, will he/she start from scratch when it comes to compensation or will those years in the undesired state contribute to a higher compensation when a job in Texas is obtained?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,

Assume a physician works in an undesired state due to H1B-visa sponsor. When green card is obtained after 2 years and that physician decides to move to let's say Texas, will he/she start from scratch when it comes to compensation or will those years in the undesired state contribute to a higher compensation when a job in Texas is obtained?

I’m confused, isn’t Texas an undesirable state as well?

I’m confused, isn’t Texas an undesirable state as well?

Dallas and Houston are pretty nice
SA isn’t bad
Austin pretty nice
The pay for doctors there is amongst the highest in the country
Depends on what you are looking for. One person’s desirable might be another’s awful. The majority of this board seems to be people from NYC and California so that’s the reigning opinion I’ve seen here

Members don't see this ad :)
Dallas and Houston are pretty nice
SA isn’t bad
Austin pretty nice
The pay for doctors there is amongst the highest in the country
Depends on what you are looking for. One person’s desirable might be another’s awful. The majority of this board seems to be people from NYC and California so that’s the reigning opinion I’ve seen here
Exactly!

I fear that if I work in a state A that's not Texas, work myself up to 300k+ due to experience (after a few years), and then move to Texas, I might drop to what I had in salary when I began practising in state A and I have to wait a few years again until the salary ramps up. Is this how it works? Or is that "experience salary" carried over?

Exactly!

I fear that if I work in a state A that's not Texas, work myself up to 300k+ due to experience (after a few years), and then move to Texas, I might drop to what I had in salary when I began practising in state A and I have to wait a few years again until the salary ramps up. Is this how it works? Or is that "experience salary" carried over?
It depends.

And I'm pretty sure nobody is going to force you to move to Texas.

You can try to negotiated whatever salary you think you deserve. The person on the other side of the table may disagree with you on that and offer you less than you're making now. Only you can decide if that move is worth it.

Reactions: 1 user
What an odd question. Either you come from a country very different than here or you’ve never had a job. Your salary is based on whatever you and your employer agree on. An employer will usually prefer to hire someone with experience so yes, you’ll probably find a better paying job after working...