Competencies Medical Students should have upon graduation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

surgicel

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking what are the competencies a medical student should have upon graduation. Is there a list somewhere out there I know experiences differ depending where one goes to medical school but any school list/ general list would be appreciative.

I ask because clinically I still feel I have deficiencies such as not being able to read an ECG besides knowing rate, rhythym, and some axis abnormalities,
Differentiate between the various heart sounds on auscultation, and lung sounds
I feel like sometimes I miss physical exam points that I should have picked up:

I know there are somethings that I will get better at with time in residency, but I've also heard there are some competencies that if you haven't learned by the end of med school you will probably never learn later on. I want to work on my weaknesses this year (MS-4) so any advice would be helpful

Members don't see this ad.

Generally speaking what are the competencies a medical student should have upon graduation. Is there a list somewhere out there I know experiences differ depending where one goes to medical school but any school list/ general list would be appreciative.

I ask because clinically I still feel I have deficiencies such as not being able to read an ECG besides knowing rate, rhythym, and some axis abnormalities,
Differentiate between the various heart sounds on auscultation, and lung sounds
I feel like sometimes I miss physical exam points that I should have picked up:

I know there are somethings that I will get better at with time in residency, but I've also heard there are some competencies that if you haven't learned by the end of med school you will probably never learn later on. I want to work on my weaknesses this year (MS-4) so any advice would be helpful

If you have passed step 2 ck and cs you are doing fine for your level.

There is a reason we do residency....

Bump. Any residents/attendings in any specialties like to chime in?

Members don't see this ad :)
From a medical knowledge standpoint I agree with using CK as a good way to gauge.

From a clinical standpoint just make sure you can recognize things that are grossly abnormal, generally know what to do about it, and be fairly efficient at eliciting and gathering data (history, physical, interpreting labs). Don't worry about subtle physical exam findings for instance. Procedurally it would be nice if you can place and IV and do a radial artery stick but that's about it unless you are going into a surgical field then they might at least expect u to know how to tie a knot.

One of our faculty was talking about what seemed like a new list of 15 things that new interns can do (read: "should be competent at") on the first day of internship without any supervision whatsoever.

I don't know what those things are exactly...does this sound right or familiar to anyone else?

15 seems like an awfully high number though :p

From a medical knowledge standpoint I agree with using CK as a good way to gauge.

From a clinical standpoint just make sure you can recognize things that are grossly abnormal, generally know what to do about it, and be fairly efficient at eliciting and gathering data (history, physical, interpreting labs). Don't worry about subtle physical exam findings for instance. Procedurally it would be nice if you can place and IV and do a radial artery stick but that's about it unless you are going into a surgical field then they might at least expect u to know how to tie a knot.

We must have taken different CK exams. I had plenty of questions that had nothing to do with practical medical knowledge. The "new" questions were easily identifiable and absolutely ridiculous.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

and if you can tie your shoes you can tie a knot.