Jul 18, 2013
Status
Medical Student
Generally speaking what are the competencies a medical student should have upon graduation. Is there a list somewhere out there I know experiences differ depending where one goes to medical school but any school list/ general list would be appreciative.

I ask because clinically I still feel I have deficiencies such as not being able to read an ECG besides knowing rate, rhythym, and some axis abnormalities,
Differentiate between the various heart sounds on auscultation, and lung sounds
I feel like sometimes I miss physical exam points that I should have picked up:

I know there are somethings that I will get better at with time in residency, but I've also heard there are some competencies that if you haven't learned by the end of med school you will probably never learn later on. I want to work on my weaknesses this year (MS-4) so any advice would be helpful

link2swim06

10+ Year Member
Dec 14, 2007
Status
Attending Physician
Generally speaking what are the competencies a medical student should have upon graduation. Is there a list somewhere out there I know experiences differ depending where one goes to medical school but any school list/ general list would be appreciative.

I ask because clinically I still feel I have deficiencies such as not being able to read an ECG besides knowing rate, rhythym, and some axis abnormalities,
Differentiate between the various heart sounds on auscultation, and lung sounds
I feel like sometimes I miss physical exam points that I should have picked up:

I know there are somethings that I will get better at with time in residency, but I've also heard there are some competencies that if you haven't learned by the end of med school you will probably never learn later on. I want to work on my weaknesses this year (MS-4) so any advice would be helpful
If you have passed step 2 ck and cs you are doing fine for your level.

There is a reason we do residency....

From a medical knowledge standpoint I agree with using CK as a good way to gauge.

From a clinical standpoint just make sure you can recognize things that are grossly abnormal, generally know what to do about it, and be fairly efficient at eliciting and gathering data (history, physical, interpreting labs). Don't worry about subtle physical exam findings for instance. Procedurally it would be nice if you can place and IV and do a radial artery stick but that's about it unless you are going into a surgical field then they might at least expect u to know how to tie a knot.

Anastomoses

secretly an end artery
Removed
Account on Hold
May 11, 2013
Texas, Chicago
Status
Medical Student

Trogghunter

7+ Year Member
Nov 16, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
How about life hacks like getting out of speeding tickets and jury duty.

VictorAlpha

7+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2011
Midwest
Status
Resident [Any Field]
One of our faculty was talking about what seemed like a new list of 15 things that new interns can do (read: "should be competent at") on the first day of internship without any supervision whatsoever.

I don't know what those things are exactly...does this sound right or familiar to anyone else?

KnuxNole

Sweets Addict
10+ Year Member
May 3, 2006
Status
Attending Physician
15 seems like an awfully high number though :p

Laryngophed

Supratentorial problems
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2007
TDC
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
15 seems like an awfully high number though :p
I got the impression that if my stethoscope was on my person on July 1st, 2014, I could chalk that day up as a win.

tco

10+ Year Member
Apr 22, 2008
Status
Resident [Any Field]
From a medical knowledge standpoint I agree with using CK as a good way to gauge.

From a clinical standpoint just make sure you can recognize things that are grossly abnormal, generally know what to do about it, and be fairly efficient at eliciting and gathering data (history, physical, interpreting labs). Don't worry about subtle physical exam findings for instance. Procedurally it would be nice if you can place and IV and do a radial artery stick but that's about it unless you are going into a surgical field then they might at least expect u to know how to tie a knot.
We must have taken different CK exams. I had plenty of questions that had nothing to do with practical medical knowledge. The "new" questions were easily identifiable and absolutely ridiculous.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk