Competing against students from same Ugrad?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NewGuy789

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey all!

I was wondering if other students from your same Ugrad university getting accepted to a school has any effect on your chances at that school?

For example, if I applied to a medical school and someone from my same Ugrad applied and got accepted at that same school, would this hurt my chances?

I am actually in this exact situation; I'm on the wait-list and I just found out a fellow undergraduate has been accepted.

Any thoughts on the matter? Do you think it even matters at all? Several of my friends have said things along the lines of 'This will definitely hurt your chances big time", and it's kind of bothering me now.
Thanks for all the help!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm going to tell you no because I honestly don't think they care. Some waitlists are ranked, in which case it wouldn't matter, or they do it by fit and then it may help if he gave up his spot but theoretically could hurt "diversity" if he was in the class, but that seems shaky. Or they manage it by some other method that probably doesn't limit undergrad institutions. Public schools take tons from their in-state public schools.

But it's a no mainly because you can't do anything about it now and it is what you want/need to hear.

You're competing against every one else on the waitlist at this point, not just those who attended your undergrad. I can't imagine any adcom setting quotas on how many they pick from each undergrad institution. When they're comparing applicants to accept, they're looking more closely at reasons that you are a good fit for their school or how likely you are to matriculate at their school.

Members don't see this ad :)
@gonnif - that needed a warning ... I just snorted diet coke out my nose onto my laptop :lol:

Reactions: 1 users
I think it is possible that it may have some minor effect. Some schools with unranked waitlists pull someone off the WL that was similar to the person that withdrew an acceptance. This is to maintain the class composition that was created initially, whether based on geographic diversity, interests, etc. At this point however, you are not competing against the student from your undergrad as he/she has already been accepted...

Reactions: 1 user
Youse reads the forums, youse take yur chances. I saw the movie "Brooklyn" tonight and think I am still channeling

UR ... get with it, Gonnif!

The only influence a UG school has is if it's a known feeder, and do as known commodities, applicants might be viewed more favorably.

Wait list decisions? Not a chance.

Hey all!

I was wondering if other students from your same Ugrad university getting accepted to a school has any effect on your chances at that school?

For example, if I applied to a medical school and someone from my same Ugrad applied and got accepted at that same school, would this hurt my chances?

I am actually in this exact situation; I'm on the wait-list and I just found out a fellow undergraduate has been accepted.

Any thoughts on the matter? Do you think it even matters at all? Several of my friends have said things along the lines of 'This will definitely hurt your chances big time", and it's kind of bothering me now.
Thanks for all the help!