Competing for slot in PhD program with manager of desired lab

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

katciao

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, All,

If you've been invited to PhD admission interview on-campus and are fairly certain that you are competing for only position to work in professor X's one and only lab with professor X's lab manager of a couple of years, how would you compete? Lab manager is young but did undergrad at that university and has a lot of experience working on home turf. Contender is older, broader academic/professional (technical/mathematical along with some undergrad/grad psych courses) background but attended other universities and has no experience working with professor X or any other professors at that university. Might the prof give the contender a chance?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi, All,

If you've been invited to PhD admission interview on-campus and are fairly certain that you are competing for only position to work in professor X's one and only lab with professor X's lab manager of a couple of years, how would you compete? Lab manager is young but did undergrad at that university and has a lot of experience working on home turf. Contender is older, broader academic/professional (technical/mathematical along with some undergrad/grad psych courses) background but attended other universities and has no experience working with professor X or any other professors at that university. Might the prof give the contender a chance?

Thanks.

If you were invited for an interview, then you absolutely have a chance. Unless you know the lab manager (do you?), there could be all sorts of other factors you don't know about that would still make them the less desirable candidate. And even if you know for a fact that they're a good candidate, the fact that you were invited means you're being seriously considered. I think you should just go in with head held high, be ready to talk about all the reasons you're a perfect fit for the lab, and then cross your fingers. :oops:

Members don't see this ad :)
If the lab manager went there for undergrad, he/she may be at a disadvantage actually.

go into the interview confidence. show them why you are a new addition and tell them all the great research ideas you have for the lab. your fresh new ideas will be welcomed! good luck!

Last edited:
I was on the other end of this last year. I applied to work with one of the PIs on my multisite study. I found out prior to the interview (through the grape vine) that I was her last choice/might have only been invited out as a professional courtesy since she was planning to take her lab in another direction (in terms of what she wanted to study). Needless to say, with this information in the back of my mind, my interview wasn't exactly stellar. Don't count yourself out!

similar but different: i went on an interview where a full time RA was competing against me for the spot. i got the spot.

go into the interview confidence. show them why you are a new addition and tell them all the great research ideas you have for the lab. your fresh new ideas will be welcomed! good luck!

Thanks for the input, Researchgirl. I'm thinking hard about new research ideas and extensions of current research projects, esp. in light of the fact that the lab seems to be at a turning point (ready to start new projects). What type of psych program are you in, and what are your specific research interests?