competition for residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Boba Fett

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a first year student and I've heard that fileds such as orthopedic sugery, plastic surgery, etc. are highly competitive for residency spots. How competitive is otolaryngology? What is an average step I score for a competitive applicant and what sort of grades are they looking for?

thanks

Members don't see this ad.

ENT (Otolaryngology) is probably even more competitive than Ortho. ENT residencies -- quality residencies -- often look for great grades (AOA-type), incredibly high board scores, and research in the field.

Tim of New York City.

I am a 4th year medical student who just matched to Iowa's oto residency. I think that high step I scores and high grades are only part of the picture. Your current medical school's reputation, a rec letter from a big name faculty member, and RESEARCH can really help your app. Apply to a large number of programs, prepare for your interviews, and you shouldn't have too many problems. I personally think that ortho, derm, neurosurg, and plastics are harder residencies to get matched into.

------------------
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist." The Usual Suspects

Members don't see this ad :)
I would like to point out that the quotation at the bottom of TheThroat's post is about none other than...me!
smile.gif
Nice to see it, TheThroat. Rock on!

Hi, I am applying to med school right now, and I don't understand what AOA-type school grade means. Thanks.

AOA (Alpha Omega Alpha) is the medical school equivalent of Phi Beta Kappa. It is generally given to the top 10-15% of the med school class. Like PBK, a few really top students get it at the beginning of junior year based on the grades of years one and two(they are called "junior AOA") and the rest get it at the beginning of senior year, based on the grades of years 1-3 (called "senior AOA."). Some schools base it soley on grades, some schools factor other stuff into it.

Surgical specialties place a big emphasis on AOA selection. It is an honor that follows you throughout your career. But, it doesn't crush you if you don't get it. People still match in optho, ENT etc without it -- they just match at slightly less "prestigious" programs.

The way to get it is to try to get honors whenever you can. But don't get too hung up on it -- just do your best and don't be too much of a gunner.

That's it.

p.s. Competitive board scores are generally those in the 90%th percentile or above.

About what % of applicants to residency programs dont get accepted to any of the programs they applied to?

------------------
"There is nothing more powerful on this Earth as a man who has nothing to lose. It does not take ten such men to change the world--one will do." Elijah Mohammed

baylor21,

here are some statistics for you from sfmatch, the matching program for ent and some other "early match" residentcies.
For 2001 match:
#total matched: 243
#US seniors matched: 227
#unmatched: 75
avg USMLE for matched: 236
avg USMLE for unmatched: 215
avg # of apps: 40
avg # of interviews: 9.4
%US seniors matched: 81%

So, if you are a US senior medical student and you work hard, get a pretty good step I score, DO RESEARCH, do an away rotation, and apply to a large # of programs, you have a pretty good chance of matching.

Hope that helps.

------------------
"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist." The Usual Suspects

The stats above were for the oto match. I don't know if you can get more stats on the other early matches, but you can check out sfmatch.org if you want.