Competition of Opening a Practice

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PD3

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I am a prospective pre-dent and have been doing some searching, but have found no answers about starting one's own practice. When I opened my local phonebook, I realized there were 17 pages of dentist's office in the yellowpages (rural area population ~490,000). This lead me to wonder what the possibilities of starting my own practice in this area would be. I realize that dental training may take me anywhere, but this is where I would eventually like to practice. I am coming from a business background, so maybe I am looking at this more skeptical than I should, but 17 pages of dentists seems like more supply than demand.

I would love to hear other's thought on this topic, whether you opened a practice or bought into one. Also, what are the typical startup costs of opening a practice in terms of equipment needed? I assume that most of it is leased as opposed to buying it outright.

Lastly, are most of the people opening a general practice doing a GPR or taking an associate position for a couple of years then venturing out on your own.

Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

a good patient base is about 2000 people per dentist. That would mean your area would need 250 dentists (500K/2000) to meet the averages. Some dentists have more patients, some have less and numbers fluctuate tremendously. ie. I haven't been to a dentist in 5 years...no joke.

Starting your own practice is very realistic. There are so many possibilities a small post wouldn't begin to answer them all. Some people finish dental school and maybe want to do some more hospital based dentistry before they move on to the 'real world'. (implants, extractions, etc.) so they do a GPR. Some do an AEGD (advnaced education in gen. dentistry) etc.

After school is over they can become an associate and either work off of salary, or earn what they do, or both, or they can work for a dental group which is owned by a couple of rich dentsts making money off of you (but the overhaed is payed for and you get patients, etc.) There are so many possibilities...opening your own practice is also a possibility. It can be expensive though. I have seen figures (i have dentists in the family) of 100K to 500K to 1million to start up a new practice. Depends on may factors..banks, area, contractor, equipment, etc.

I know I am but a lowly freshman in the game, but this is what I know.

Also it is being harped lately that in the next 10 years many baby boomers will be retiring. More dentists are retiring than are being made. Another golden age of dentistry is upon us.

Cliffs notes:
VERY doable
Worth it
Do it because you like it
First things first: get into dental school

hope that helps:D

a good patient base is about 2000 people per dentist. That would mean your area would need 250 dentists (500K/2000) to meet the averages. Some dentists have more patients, some have less and numbers fluctuate tremendously. ie. I haven't been to a dentist in 5 years...no joke.

Starting your own practice is very realistic. There are so many possibilities a small post wouldn't begin to answer them all. Some people finish dental school and maybe want to do some more hospital based dentistry before they move on to the 'real world'. (implants, extractions, etc.) so they do a GPR. Some do an AEGD (advnaced education in gen. dentistry) etc.

After school is over they can become an associate and either work off of salary, or earn what they do, or both, or they can work for a dental group which is owned by a couple of rich dentsts making money off of you (but the overhaed is payed for and you get patients, etc.) There are so many possibilities...opening your own practice is also a possibility. It can be expensive though. I have seen figures (i have dentists in the family) of 100K to 500K to 1million to start up a new practice. Depends on may factors..banks, area, contractor, equipment, etc.

I know I am but a lowly freshman in the game, but this is what I know.

Also it is being harped lately that in the next 10 years many baby boomers will be retiring. More dentists are retiring than are being made. Another golden age of dentistry is upon us.

Cliffs notes:
VERY doable
Worth it
Do it because you like it
First things first: get into dental school

hope that helps:D

Actually thats 2000 active patients. So you need roughly 5000 patients to have a busy fulltime practice. Another thing that should be mentioned, schools are now cranking out more graduates and new schools are opening up. Within the next year or two, schools will be spitting out several hundred more graduates a year then they were 10 years ago.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually thats 2000 active patients. So you need roughly 5000 patients to have a busy fulltime practice. Another thing that should be mentioned, schools are now cranking out more graduates and new schools are opening up. Within the next year or two, schools will be spitting out several hundred more graduates a year then they were 10 years ago.

Okay, I was wrong with the patients...but there is no way they can build schools fast enough to make up for retiring dentists. A new school every three years = ~100 new dentists a year (after four years until they graduate their first class). New schools wont just pop up either like everyone in the predent section believes.

15 years ago Illinois had 7 dental schools. There were more back then than there are now.

We are still at a major advantage even if two new schools were built every two years for the next 10 years.

Okay, I was wrong with the patients...but there is no way they can build schools fast enough to make up for retiring dentists. A new school every three years = ~100 new dentists a year (after four years until they graduate their first class). New schools wont just pop up either like everyone in the predent section believes.

15 years ago Illinois had 7 dental schools. There were more back then than there are now.

We are still at a major advantage even if two new schools were built every two years for the next 10 years.

Illinois had 7 dental schools. you're sh1ttin me right?? to the OP do a search on here and you'll find plenty of views. my opinion is it depends on location.

Hello all,
(rural area population ~490,000)

This is no answer to your question, but where do you come from that you think somewhere with a half million people is rural??

Citation, please?

Citation?! seriously you think I care enough to spend time finding a citation? Just do the math. LV opened a school, Az opened a school. Az is opening another one with 100 students. I hear that their is another planned for somehwere here in CA, and in another thread on this site someone from NC was talking about a school opening there plus they were going to increase the class size of the already existing UNC school. Those are just the one that I remember off the top of my head

Citation?! seriously you think I care enough to spend time finding a citation? Just do the math. LV opened a school, Az opened a school. Az is opening another one with 100 students. I hear that their is another planned for somehwere here in CA, and in another thread on this site someone from NC was talking about a school opening there plus they were going to increase the class size of the already existing UNC school. Those are just the one that I remember off the top of my head

Ok, so I guess that I do care. Here are a few "citations": "In 2003, almost 4,500 new dentists graduated from U.S. schools, more than 600 more than graduated in 1996."

"Currently there are more than 168,550 professionally active dentists in the United States. On average, that is one dentist for every 1,685 people.'

http://www.agd.org/library/2004/oct/gater.asp

By the way the reasons that the article gives for opening new schools are a bunch or crap. Increasing the number of dentists will not take care of the underserved areas of the country until the prices of dental services and dental income is cut to the point where serving in these underserved areas becomes attractive to dentists. Its funny that these reasons are pretty much recited by dental schools and the ADA all across the country. Its pretty much said so much that everyone believes it even though the reality of the situation does not support it whatsoever. Its also funny that while talking about opening up new schools because their is such a need to serve the underserved communities, these schools are raising the cost of D-school at almost and exponetial rate.

UNC is going from 80 students to 100. Midwestern in Az is starting out with 100 students. ECU will start up with 50 students. http://www.ada.org/prof/resources/pubs/adanews/adanewsarticle.asp?articleid=1900

So add those to the number of graduates from Nova, the other Az school, and UNLV and you have around 300 new graduates.

Here is some stuff from the latest CDA (California Dental Association).
In 1993 their were 1,825 people for every dentist in the U.S.. In 2000 their were 1848 people for every dentist in the U.S.. Now based on the article from the academy of General Dentistry, their are 1685 people for every dentist and this is only going to get worse after these new grads start hitting the streets. Keep in mind that the actual market is much smaller becuase Almost all dentist are clustered in the most profitable areas, I.E. areas with a lot of people with the money to pay for their services. Therefore the real market consists or significantly fewer individuals per dentist. How many patients do we need to adequately support a practice? About 5000.

Hello all,

I am a prospective pre-dent and have been doing some searching, but have found no answers about starting one's own practice. When I opened my local phonebook, I realized there were 17 pages of dentist's office in the yellowpages (rural area population ~490,000). This lead me to wonder what the possibilities of starting my own practice in this area would be. I realize that dental training may take me anywhere, but this is where I would eventually like to practice. I am coming from a business background, so maybe I am looking at this more skeptical than I should, but 17 pages of dentists seems like more supply than demand.

I would love to hear other's thought on this topic, whether you opened a practice or bought into one. Also, what are the typical startup costs of opening a practice in terms of equipment needed? I assume that most of it is leased as opposed to buying it outright.

Lastly, are most of the people opening a general practice doing a GPR or taking an associate position for a couple of years then venturing out on your own.

Thanks in advance.

No matter where you live starting up a successful dental practice in the next decade may be easier than ever before.

People are living longer and, therefore, will have dental needs for an extended period of time. The value of maintaining their dentition has become a priority for many.

20 years ago about 6,000 dentists graduated per year. There was a lot of saturation of dentists.

Now, roughly, about 4,000 dentists graduate per year. Even if this increases by 300, this doesn't come close to the number of dentists graduating in the late 70's and early 80's.

In the late 70's and early 80's men comprised about 80% of the graduates, now it's almost 50/50. Women tend to work less hours and, in addition, take more time off to rear children, some women significantly less.

During the next decade many dentists 55 years old and up will not necessarily be retiring, but they may be reducing their work hours, possibily significantly

If you enjoy doing dentistry, enjoy people and are willing to work, you will be fine. Good Luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Actually thats 2000 active patients. So you need roughly 5000 patients to have a busy fulltime practice.

With 168,000 active Dentists (168,000 x 5000 = 840,000,000) in the US that means the United States needs a population of 840,000,000 for all of us to have a busy fulltime practice. That is rather depressing if you believe it.

This, http://www.padutchcountry.com/our_world/see_our_world.asp seems pretty rural to me, but thanks the help and insight.

Hello. I've practiced outside of Lancaster PA (Amish country / Dutch Country) and I can tell you this. You will have very little "competition" opening a practice out these. There are more than enough patients, to the point where waiting lists for some procedures (root canals) are to the point of being underserved.
Also this 490,000 I'm not sure where this number is coming from?? Lancaster is often referred to Dutch country, and it has a population of 56,000:
http://www.cityoflancasterpa.com/lancastercity/cwp/view.asp?a=3&q=564385

Perhaps your 490,000 includes all the surrounding areas (over a hundred miles) surrounding Dutch Country. Where are you getting that number from???
Again, anyone out there, consider Lancaster County / Dutch / Amish Country when opening a practice. Honest, hard working people, and an area truly in need of dentists. Lastly, you will find plenty of dentists there, mostly in their 40's to 60's happy to mentor you.
OK my PSA is done!

Other points. Yes schools are increasing class sizes. Although they may scream access to care, mostly the reason reason is poor fiscal responsibility so they increase tuition and classes.

Solving access to care requires proper policy (grads will go to underserved areas for the right package - simple as that). Opening these new schools in underserved areas will get students to move out there for school, but then will move right back home. They need the right (conditions, salary, etc) to commit to working there.
It has been shown again and again in order to get the underserved treated, provide reasonable reimbursement for treating these patients. There have been some succesful models of this. I belive OH recently raised medicaid reimbursement and access to care dramatically improved.

Another huge factor in the equation is higher percentage of female dentists. Who on average work part-time and take leave significantly more than their male counterparts.

Hello all,

Thanks in advance.

you are already worried about opening a practice??

hahahah

thats amazing and totally anal.

No matter where you live starting up a successful dental practice in the next decade may be easier than ever before.

People are living longer and, therefore, will have dental needs for an extended period of time. The value of maintaining their dentition has become a priority for many.

20 years ago about 6,000 dentists graduated per year. There was a lot of saturation of dentists.

Now, roughly, about 4,000 dentists graduate per year. Even if this increases by 300, this doesn't come close to the number of dentists graduating in the late 70's and early 80's.

In the late 70's and early 80's men comprised about 80% of the graduates, now it's almost 50/50. Women tend to work less hours and, in addition, take more time off to rear children, some women significantly less.

During the next decade many dentists 55 years old and up will not necessarily be retiring, but they may be reducing their work hours, possibily significantly

If you enjoy doing dentistry, enjoy people and are willing to work, you will be fine. Good Luck.

I'm glad that you posted here Lesley because I wanted to here from you about the late 70's and 80's. I don't remember exactly when you graduated but I have talked to several dentists that graduated over that time frame and they said that times were a lot tougher for them back then and that their were many graduates who went into something else because of the tuff market conditions. If this is true then the argument comparing the number of dental graduates back then to how many graduate today, which is used to calm everyone fears of saturation, is inherently flawed.

Citation, please?

Jesus, you are a moderator. Don't you get tired of abusing your powers?

Just moderate, why criticize peoples comments?

Total abuse of power.

I'm glad that you posted here Lesley because I wanted to here from you about the late 70's and 80's. I don't remember exactly when you graduated but I have talked to several dentists that graduated over that time frame and they said that times were a lot tougher for them back then and that their were many graduates who went into something else because of the tuff market conditions. If this is true then the argument comparing the number of dental graduates back then to how many graduate today, which is used to calm everyone fears of saturation, is inherently flawed.

"I TALKED TO SEVERAL DENTISTS THAT GRADUATED OVER THAT TIME FRAME AND THEY SAID....."

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

LIES!

read that comment. How did you find several dentists from the same time frame.

man people lie so much on this website!

And in that same period of time, multiple dental schools have closed. Especially after taking that into account, that leaves you a long way from "several hundred more new dentists every year." :)

Hi, I graduated d-school in 1982, almost 25 years ago. I can hardly believe it. My goal in life through high school was to go to college, get married, work a little bit and have three kids. Truly. It's hard to believe that I've been working steadily since graduation and that it's gone by fast and, while not according to the above vision I had for my life at 18, better than planned.

A lot of things were different back in the late 70's and 80's. First inflation, then stagflation and then recession, all with in a decade. Interest rates on school loans, business loans and our mortages were huge. There was a lot of competition, plus patients just had a different mind set. You had to talk them into saving their teeth. The market has definitely changed. I am very optimistic that even as an older dentist, I will be able to find work indefinitely for all of the reasons mentioned in my previous post.

For younger dentists, my only concerns are:

1) The debt from dental school. If you can get past that and take out that 30 year note, you will be fine. If you can pay it back sooner, all the better.
I am a fuddy duddy about this. Sorry.
and
2) If at all possible, try to avoid participating in dental discount plans, PPO's and HMO's. If allowable, you can accept payment from the patient's insurance company and let the patient pay the rest, but do not allow the insurance comany to dictate what your service is worth. It is your call. This, unfortunately, is the muddle that almost the whole of medicine has gotten itself irretractably stuck. Plastic surgery may be the exception.

Everything in life is about sticking with it. If you stick with things through thick and thin, dental school, marriage, business and work through things, you will be rewarded in the end. The outlook for dentistry is very, very good. Best wishes.

Jesus, you are a moderator. Don't you get tired of abusing your powers?

Just moderate, why criticize peoples comments?

Total abuse of power.

Actually, you don't have to be a moderator here to criticize. Just look at me...

Illinois had 7 dental schools. you're sh1ttin me right?? to the OP do a search on here and you'll find plenty of views. my opinion is it depends on location.

Not sure if it was 7 in illinois though. I believe Illinois had 4, now it has 2.
Loyola and Northwestern closed, the rest that closed were not in Illinios, could you imagine 7 dental schools in one state.

Actually, you don't have to be a moderator here to criticize. Just look at me...

right, but don't you think these moderators should be more accountable for ignorant comments.

just moderate and keep the snide smart-aZZ remarks to yourself is what I would say.

Its like they log on and start smarting off the members here. its idiotic.

right, but don't you think these moderators should be more accountable for ignorant comments.

just moderate and keep the snide smart-aZZ remarks to yourself is what I would say.

I think you are confused about the roles of moderators. Furthermore, I find nothing demeaning about Bill's post. He's simply pointing out that it is improper form to state an anecdotal comment as fact and omit references.

I think you are confused about the roles of moderators. Furthermore, I find nothing demeaning about Bill's post. He's simply pointing out that it is improper form to state an anecdotal comment as fact and omit references.

I agree with that and that was fine with me.

however, I took an hour and looked at his old posts and he has been quite a smartAZZ for quite some time.

ITs amazing to me that such a wonderful website would allow someone like him to continue to be a moderator.

with his excellent attitude he would make a wonderful dental professor, I am going to go out on a limb and say thats what he will do for sure.

POWERTRIP

Huh?

All I asked for was some kind of source for his claim that dental schools are pumping out hundreds of new graduates a year compared to ten years ago.

I don't see anything in that worth calling smart-assed, ignorant, snide, or abusive of power (twice).

I agree with that and that was fine with me.

however, I took an hour and looked at his old posts and he has been quite a smartAZZ for quite some time.

ITs amazing to me that such a wonderful website would allow someone like him to continue to be a moderator.

with his excellent attitude he would make a wonderful dental professor, I am going to go out on a limb and say thats what he will do for sure.

POWERTRIP

You'd be hardpressed to find an instance where Bill has made a comment that was out of line. He is perhaps one of the most able memebers of SDN when it comes to cutting through all of the nonsense that is frequently and carelessly posted.

Anyhow, move on. Let's not hijack the thread any longer.

.....and you still haven't provided your sources.

I have heard that the number of elephants has doubled in Africa in the last 10 years.

I have heard that the number of elephants has doubled in Africa in the last 10 years.

I'll believe it! Ever seen a male elephant in heat?! They don't call them elephant for nothing!
Hello all,

Thanks in advance.

The failure rate of opening a dental offfice is 0.04%. Unless you're clinically incompetent, a crook or having bad chair side manner then you won't have anything to worry about. Build it and they will come!

By the way, don't you have to get into dental school then graduate and licensed first before worrying about opening a dental office?! If you're thinking about getting rich in dentistry then you're better off sticking to buzinezz! Dentistry's all about back pain and sweats!

"I TALKED TO SEVERAL DENTISTS THAT GRADUATED OVER THAT TIME FRAME AND THEY SAID....."

HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAHAHAHA

LIES!

read that comment. How did you find several dentists from the same time frame.

man people lie so much on this website!

Right, dude are you all there? Back in the day my wife worked for someone who graduated at that time. I shadowed a dentists who also graduated in 77 and their are several faculty here who graduated in that time frame. Seriously, if your going to say something is a lie then at least pick something that doesn't make you look stupid.

Right, dude are you all there? Back in the day my wife worked for someone who graduated at that time. I shadowed a dentists who also graduated in 77 and their are several faculty here who graduated in that time frame. Seriously, if your going to say something is a lie then at least pick something that doesn't make you look stupid.

that comment was awesome, I pick it!

great job!.

:laugh:
I'll believe it! Ever seen a male elephant in heat?! They don't call them elephant for nothing!

The failure rate of opening a dental offfice is 0.04%. Unless you're clinically incompetent, a crook or having bad chair side manner then you won't have anything to worry about. Build it and they will come!

By the way, don't you have to get into dental school then graduate and licensed first before worrying about opening a dental office?! If you're thinking about getting rich in dentistry then you're better off sticking to buzinezz! Dentistry's all about back pain and sweats!

The failure rate of opening a dental offfice is 0.04%.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha:laugh:

Also this 490,000 I'm not sure where this number is coming from?? Lancaster is often referred to Dutch country, and it has a population of 56,000:
http://www.cityoflancasterpa.com/lancastercity/cwp/view.asp?a=3&q=564385

Perhaps your 490,000 includes all the surrounding areas (over a hundred miles) surrounding Dutch Country. Where are you getting that number from???

Thank you for the information. The number that you sited is in reference to the city of Lancaster, as it states it is only 7.4 square miles. In all reality, people are coming from all over Lancater county, even more likely is that those 7.4 sq miles are where the minority of your patients come from. The information in my post comes from the US Census, http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/42/42071.html. Any other input is certainly welcomed.

Inn2, I feel your assumption about getting rich in dentistry shows the ignorance of some people on these boards. I feel doing by finding out what I am in store for is only responsible when you are looking at 4+ years of schooling and 200-300K in debt. As I stated, it may be my business background that is more inquisitive than necessary, but it will make me run a more successful practice.

well, we could always hope that CU, Harvard, Penn, Baylor, ASDOH, Nova, Marquette, Temple, ...and all the private schools out there close down.

Thank you for the information. The number that you sited is in reference to the city of Lancaster, as it states it is only 7.4 square miles. In all reality, people are coming from all over Lancater county, even more likely is that those 7.4 sq miles are where the minority of your patients come from. The information in my post comes from the US Census, http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/42/42071.html. Any other input is certainly welcomed.

Inn2, I feel your assumption about getting rich in dentistry shows the ignorance of some people on these boards. I feel doing by finding out what I am in store for is only responsible when you are looking at 4+ years of schooling and 200-300K in debt. As I stated, it may be my business background that is more inquisitive than necessary, but it will make me run a more successful practice.

True. The 56,000 population is for only 7.4 square miles. Now this 490,000 population is for 986 square miles.....that's a HUGE area. I can't stress that enough. To put this in perspective, Rochester NY (where went for college) is a mid-size city. It's population is 221,000 for 35.8 square miles. So your 17 pages covers almost a hundred square miles..

I got these numbers for www.city-data.com, and the padutch county website which you provided.

Anyways, so again rural areas such as Lancaster County are fantastic places to practice. Lots of patients, very little competition, patients are grateful for the care you provide.

Now, you are bringing up an important point: Is it worth going 200-300K in debt and spending 4+ yrs. training. I don't think you should be knocked for asking this question before going to dental school, after all you're showing good foresight. I know I'd be thinking the same thing if I were in your shoes. Fortunately I went to a state school, and recently graduated (at the beginning of the skyrocketing tuition era) with less than 80K in debt. Heck, 2-300K... that's a huge time and financial investment. You have to dig deep to answer that questions. If it's solely about money, the investment is a good one, and dentistry is a stable field. Now you can make better business investments with that 200-300K no doubt about it. You have to see if it's something you'll enjoy.