COMPETITION, SURGERY N STUFF!!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

impotentking

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've heard that general surgery residencies have become less competitive over the last few years. Is this true, and if so, to what extent? Why do you think gen. surgery has lost its appeal? Just for the fun of it, lets try to rank the various specialties in order of most competitive to least. I think it goes something like this:

1) Orthopedic Surgery
2) Dermatology
3) Neurosurgery
4) ENT
5) Opthalmology
6) Urology
7) General Surgery
8) Anesthesiology
9) Internal Medicine
10) Family Medicine
11) Pediatrics
12)Psychiatry

What do you all think? Please don't go gettin all P'd off, this is just for fun, K?

Later all
USA RULES!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Specify...Allopathic or Osteopathic.

More like
Derm
Neurosurg
Ortho
EM
ENT
Optho
Gen Sug
OB
Anesth
Radiology
IM
Peds
FP
Psych
OMT fellowship HA!

Hmmm...I think given the current environment, Radiology should be a bit higher in the list.

The reasons given for the lack of popularity of General Surgery are legion but most boil down to:

1) cycles - every 5 years or so each specialty experiences a change in popularity and now is GS's downswing

2) lifestyle, lifestyle, lifestyle. You only have to look at the Surgical Specialties which are most competitive - with the exception of Neuro, most things like ENT, Plastics, etc. enjoy a relatively better lifestyle than General Surgeons.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree that it seems Radiology should be pretty high up, how high do you think it should be? I say more competitive than Gen Surgery and ER and OB/GYN but less than Opthalmology, ENT, and Urology. What's a D.O. generally need to do to land a Radiology residency? Are we talking 75th percentile on the boards or in class rank or 50th percentile or what? How's this list:

Derm
Ortho
Neurosurgery
Optho
ENT
Urology
Radiology
EM
Gen Surgery
OB/GYN
Anesthesia
IM
Peds
FM
Psychiatry
Pathology

Take care all!

Dude you are high...Isserson ranks EM and Derm as the most competetive.

I think IM and Peds is a lot more competitive than either Anasthesiology or OB. Anyone know an authoritative internet source on this subject? Im interested in the ranking, boards, and grade requirements etc for getting into variuos residencies. thanks in advance.

So, Freeeedom!~ are you saying OMT fellowships ("HA!") are NOT competitive? What can you (or any others) say about them? :eek: