1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Dismiss Notice
  4. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
  5. Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Competitive and less competitive dental schools

Discussion in 'Pre-Dental' started by docline, Apr 24, 2004.

1. docline

docline Junior Member
    5+ Year Member

Which dental schools are easy to get into....and which are hard to get into in the Northeast and West Coast?
    Can you please provide me with a small list.
    Thank you.

I'll start with the most obvious.

Competitive Schools:
    Harvard
    UPenn

Less competitive schools:
    ?

Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Woodsy

Woodsy S-D-N Blue Blood
    7+ Year Member

Competitive Schools:
    Harvard
    UPenn
    Columbia
    USCF
    UCLA
    UConn

Less competitive schools:
    Howard (but you have to be black...dunno)
    NYU
    UBoston
    Tufts
    NOVA
    Maryland

can't think of any right now...

4. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

I wouldn't put Nova in the least competitve list, at least on their last cycle's matriculants stats.

5. Ecks

Ecks Member
    7+ Year Member

I would take out Maryland and tufts of that list and add meharry, temple and USC.

6. JRogoff

JRogoff Resident Palatal Phallacy
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    And what are those?

7. JRogoff

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    If i am not mistaken, last years entering GPA was a 3.4. I definetly would not consider that non-competitive.

8. dental2008

dental2008 Member
    7+ Year Member

Instead of arguing what is competitvie and non, why not standarize it.

3.4 is pretty good, but there are a number of schools with that number. So I think 3.5 should be considered competitive. Think about it, thats a B+ average

9. grettlin2

grettlin2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    I would say
    Tufts, USC and Nova are also competitive schools.

This year, there are more than 2000+ applicants in Nova, and the chance to be accepted is getting low.

For USC, the cons is their tuition, but the pros are their faculty, clinic training, and especially their location in CA (for those who are interested in CA board).

Tufts is a traditional good clinic school with high NBDE I average score.

10. aphistis

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician, Dentist
    It doesn't really affect the comment, but a 3.5 is a little better than a B+ average, if you're using a 4-point scale. Dental school admission is definitely ramping up in difficulty.

11. DcS

DcS damn the red baron
    7+ Year Member

People inherently want to see hard rankings, but it's not going to happen. I think even in this forum people will take things too personal, and it's just way too subjective. That is why the official rankings were abandoned. I'd like to consider UNC competitive, but it's all in what you consider competitive. If you are trying to get in from out of state, for example, it's extremely competitive. Here are some stats for my class (2006):

GPA
    Science: 3.40 (3.51 in 2005)
    Non-Science: 3.50 (3.54 in 05)

DAT
    Academic Average: 19.7
    Perceptual Ability: 18.7
    Quantitative Reasoning: 19.0
    Reading Comp: 20.9
    Total Science: 19.3

13 out of state out of 81 total enrolled, and I believe a total number of applicants around 800-1000 (heavily instate).

Just a side note that's just my opinion, but competitiveness doesn't always equal better school. In fact, I think it has very little relation. If you want to be a great clinician, for example, going to the ultra competitive harvard will not give you nearly as good a clinical training as many other programs. Obviously, a 3 year program will attract many more applicants, but it doesn't necessarily translate into a better school.

12. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

JRogoff

3.4 GPA and 18/19's DAT for Nova's last cycle (according to Sue-Ann), but the averages have not been confirmed yet.

So, that (in my opinion) is competitive.

13. JRogoff

7+ Year Member

Dentist
    I agree mo
    :D

14. dental2008

dental2008 Member
    7+ Year Member

I think the trend has already become where a 3.4, 18 or 19 on DAT will be the norm. Take a look at Bupshots link. I was really impressed with the numbers. For the hell of it I figured out the avg GPA for all the schools listed. It was 3.36, which if it was a particular school they would round it up to a 3.4 to list it as their average.

Anyone care to do the DAT?

15. dental2008

dental2008 Member
    7+ Year Member

You know what guys, do you think DAT performance is linked to dental school performance? My brother told me of this guy in his class (NYU 2007) that got a 29AA on his DAT, had a full scholarship, and was a hard core research guy that not too long ago presented his biomaterials research in Hawaii at some dental meeting. Well he was kicked out of NYU after his first term because he failed 4 classes. How weird to get such a high avg and flunk out.

16. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

Failing 4 classes is a serious academic defect. It's possible to do well on the DAT and do bad in Dental School.

17. Woodsy

Woodsy S-D-N Blue Blood
    7+ Year Member

DCS were you in state or out of state?

Competitive doesn't always equal better school...Perhaps...

University of Toronto
    Stats of entering class:
    GPA: 3.76-3.84

DAT:

AA: 20
    PAT:17

These are the only two sections they look at on the DAT. Canadian DAT only.

Columbia
    GPA: 3.4
    DAT:
    AA: 21
    PAT:20

So I'm not sure what competitive means anymore. All i know is that if the school accepts a lot of people and doesn't require insane marks or DAT scores, it is not that competitive, hence I said tufts isn't the most competitive nor was NOVA. It might be now...dunno. dun care. Not going to those schools. But seriously, if you got the marks and DAT scores, you can get into anywhere, then you can choose.

18. Serge718

Serge718 Member
    7+ Year Member

I don't know what you guys think. But in my opinion the increasing number of applicants doesn't mean that the school is more competative then the one that has less applicants. For instance harvard does not have as many applicants as NYU does. But we do know that Harvard is much harder to get into then NYU. Also Harvard prefers an Ivy pedegree. But there is no doubt that admissions into dental school are becoming more competative.

19. booshwa

booshwa Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Honestly, this thread is drivel to me. What are you guys basing these qualifications on? The competitive schools are where you didn't get in, and the less competitive schools are where you did get in?

At some point you will come to the realization that a person's dental education will depend mostly on how hard they apply themselves-not where they attended. Sure some places are going to teach certain things better than other schools, but ultimately, most dental students will pass every test they need to practice-so the school you went to really doesn't matter....unless you want to be able to advertise to all your patients that you went to "umm...hawvud." In reality, how many patients even know where their dentist went to school? I surely didn't until I become interested in school, and started asking the question.

My advice is to find a school that you love and attend it: most importantly being one where you enjoy the fellow students (since you will spend A LOT of time with them) and a city that you enjoy (as you will not always be studying and need to have a release).

Anyways, just my opinion....

20. LetMeIn

LetMeIn Member
    7+ Year Member

In the end, its about the dental education you recieve. Dont judge a dental school by its competitiveness or its ivy league status, look into the program to see if its right for you.

Im curious to see how many schools do Class 1, 2, 3, 4, 5's amalgam and composite preps and fillings, pit fissure sealants, cast gold crowns and preps, provisionals, and 3 unit pontics... in the 2nd semester of their first year with around 4-5 graded projects in each section and 14 practical exams. Im getting more confident every day, and i cant wait to start working with actual patients! :D

21. DcS

DcS damn the red baron
    7+ Year Member

First off, if this thread is drivel to you, why even respond? Did you even read the entire thread? We aren't basing the qualifications on anything. Read past the first few posts and then come back and post logically. That's what the discussion was about...what in your opinion constitues a "competitive" school. It was pretty much aknowledged that it's pointless to make a list of competitive vs. non-competitive schools because everyone's definition of what qualifies would vary. It was also discussed that just because a school is considered competitive doesn't mean it's the best school. The discussion had nothing to do with bragging to patients where you graduated from, nor does it have to do with where or where we didn't get into school. If you are going to add "drivel" to threads in the future, at least spend time reading the entire post beforehand so your post can actually make some sort of sense.

I agree with your thoughts on how to choose a school. However, since this thread has nothing to do with choosing schools based on competitiveness, what's your point? It was basically a theoretical discussion about the term competitive and how it has little relation in the big scheme of things.

22. DDS2BE

DDS2BE Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Do you think Case Western competitive? Don't you think $53,000 per year makes it less competitive than some other school in, say, $29,000 - $37,000...

23. swiminh2o

swiminh2o ...bike and run
    7+ Year Member

Here is my .02 worth:

Competitive schools:

All of 'em

Non-competive schools:

None of 'em

24. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

Tuition has nothing to do with how competitve a school is. Take UCSF and UConn for example, they are both very competitve schools, with averages of 20-21 on the DAT and strong GPA's, but they are both state schools with cheap tuition. Tuition only plays a role when it comes to private or state schools. Case is a private institution, just like Columbia, which is also very competitve, and has $65K+ tuition and living.

So whenever you think of private schools, think higher tuition (not neccesarily off the roof, some private schools like Nova have reasonable tuition, ~$30K).

25. Omahahahaha

Omahahahaha Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dentist
    Swiminh2o, You have a great point. I agree with you.

26. jes1ca

jes1ca OP Resident
    7+ Year Member

I agree as well. All schools are tough to get into.

Jessica

27. grettlin2

grettlin2 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Dental Student
    $53,000?? Does it include living expanse or just the tuition?

28. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Guardian of Justice
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    $53,000 includes living expenses - although the actual Case expenses comes to $49,650 (living and tuition) + $7900 (equipment fee) = $57,550 (all inclusive).

29. Mo007

Mo007 Gifted Hands
    10+ Year Member

WoW! - Case is definetly joining the high price-tag family (BU, Tufts, USC, Columbia, UPenn and NYU).

30. The Musketeer

The Musketeer Guardian of Justice
    10+ Year Member

Dentist
    It's just the equipment fee that makes a big difference. A computer in not included in this fee and lab fee is already included in the tuition. So what could be worth $7900?? I know part of it will be a Orascoptic loupes, but the rest of the equpments better be good for this price (like Kavo brand....) :eek:

31. jes1ca

jes1ca OP Resident
    7+ Year Member

that's a huge equipment fee

32. sxr71

sxr71 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Barbara told us that next year's budget at Case was going to be closer to $63,000. One thing they do for you guys is to lock your tuition for four years at the rate that you started at.

BTW, the second year equipment fee is around $4700 and the third year around $2000, No equipment fee for the fourth year.