Competitive ER residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rattlesnake

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I am intersted in ER field. Does anyone know what are the best ER residencies?

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry for the incorrect spelling. I just got accepted to medical school. I have always wanted to be ER (I mean EM) doctor. I just needed someone's advice about EM residencies.

Members don't see this ad :)
you can check out various em residencies at: <a href="http://www.saem.org/rescat/contents.htm" target="_blank">http://www.saem.org/rescat/contents.htm</a>
they list 3 year and 4 year em programs.

Some of the more prestigious programs, in no particular order:

Denver
Cincinnati
Hennepin County (Minnesota)
Oregon Health Sciences
New Mexico
Cook County (Chicago)

There are many others, no doubt, but I'm just starting to research EM myself.

Malignant programs - so I'm told:
Hopkins
Yale

Yale is bad. They run you into the ground and the faculty is not no nice. Hopkins sucks, plus EM docs there are caught in a petty turf war b/t IM and G-Surg. At Hopkins, they look at EM docs as being just a notch above scrub techs and nurses.

(Please, somone flame me about how all docs should just be considered a notch above nurses, or how scrub techs do a valuable job.) :)

The programs that have been mentioned above are all good programs. There have been several other posts on this forum about this topic in the past, and you may be able to look back (to around January/February of 2002), to find ideas on some of the programs with good reputations.

Just my two cents --below I have listed some programs with very good reputations (there are plenty of others, though, so I recommend doing research at saem.org to find out what type of program you are looking for...

Also, you may want to check out scutwork.com to look at some of the programs that didn't fill last year.

Hennepin County in Minneapolis
Carolinas in Charlotte
Pittsburgh
Cincy
Denver
Vanderbilt
Indianapolis
UCLA-Harbor