Competitive fellowships for women

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

blue.jay

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Not sure if it's a myth or truth. I have heard due to low % of women in certain competitive specialities like cardiology, GI and critical care, their societies are pushing for more gender parity in fellowship programs.

Is it true that a male candidate should have better credentials (higher scores, more research) than a comparable female candidate to be considered for an interview/ranking?

Members don't see this ad.

No idea, but I will say that having been in a still male dominated career before medicine and now being in one of the aforenamed "competitive specialties" that being a clearly eminently qualified candidate amongst the peers who may be my future colleagues in a particular setting has sometimes still gotten the attitude of "oh, you were only invited because you're a woman". The assumption that women have gotten their positions in male dominated fields for their gender and not their qualifications (quantitative and qualitative) is still common and galling.

Reactions: 1 users
I don’t think men are at a disadvantage. I think it’s the other way around.

Reactions: 1 user
No idea, but I will say that having been in a still male dominated career before medicine and now being in one of the aforenamed "competitive specialties" that being a clearly eminently qualified candidate amongst the peers who may be my future colleagues in a particular setting has sometimes still gotten the attitude of "oh, you were only invited because you're a woman". The assumption that women have gotten their positions in male dominated fields for their gender and not their qualifications (quantitative and qualitative) is still common and galling.

Its good work they are doing to encourage women to pursue their passion in spite of other difficulties that they have to deal with. It's hard to change the culture in male predominant speciality overnight.