competitive for Dental school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kingo1996

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am a senior in college and will be taking the DAT this summer July 2019. I kind of decided to become a dentist not too long, in high school I was really not into school and barely knew what I was doing in school. Once getting in college I began caring for my grades and so far I have to say I am doing good but what scares me is that I am only doing well with my grades but my research, extracurricular and involvement in the dental field is kind of weak.

here is what I have so far:

- GPA: 3.9
- shadowing: Around 300 hours
- volunteering at a cancer hospital right now and did over a thousand hours in a soccer team years ago if that counts, and did a few hours here and there in other minor stuff
- only did 80 hours of dental volunteering outside the US in Ecuador
- I have no clue what my science and math GPA is but I only got an A- in physics 2 and everything else biology and math related I got an A or A+ (I still have to take biochemistry, cell biology and microbiology)
- my research is REALLY WEAK and I am not exaggerating, I am currently doing something for the department of chemistry in my college but the graduate student kind of does not take me seriously and I have not been assigned to do anything important for research.

Research is what scares me the most for my interview because I feel like if they ask me about it I will not impress them at all or will not even know what to say. Also I have not really done much with my pre-dental club and I heard it is very important to be involved. So please let me know how can I improve my application one day, should I be freaking out about research or should I join another research for spring before my DAT? I am only confident with my grades and I know I will do well in the DAT if I work hard enough (not fantastic but I can definitely try to get a competitive score). Am over reacting or is what I have good enough to be accepted to a school like UF and something in that category?

thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

I am a senior in college and will be taking the DAT this summer July 2019. I kind of decided to become a dentist not too long, in high school I was really not into school and barely knew what I was doing in school. Once getting in college I began caring for my grades and so far I have to say I am doing good but what scares me is that I am only doing well with my grades but my research, extracurricular and involvement in the dental field is kind of weak.

here is what I have so far:

- GPA: 3.9
- shadowing: Around 300 hours
- volunteering at a cancer hospital right now and did over a thousand hours in a soccer team years ago if that counts, and did a few hours here and there in other minor stuff
- only did 80 hours of dental volunteering outside the US in Ecuador
- I have no clue what my science and math GPA is but I only got an A- in physics 2 and everything else biology and math related I got an A or A+ (I still have to take biochemistry, cell biology and microbiology)
- my research is REALLY WEAK and I am not exaggerating, I am currently doing something for the department of chemistry in my college but the graduate student kind of does not take me seriously and I have not been assigned to do anything important for research.

Research is what scares me the most for my interview because I feel like if they ask me about it I will not impress them at all or will not even know what to say. Also I have not really done much with my pre-dental club and I heard it is very important to be involved. So please let me know how can I improve my application one day, should I be freaking out about research or should I join another research for spring before my DAT? I am only confident with my grades and I know I will do well in the DAT if I work hard enough (not fantastic but I can definitely try to get a competitive score). Am over reacting or is what I have good enough to be accepted to a school like UF and something in that category?

thank you all in advance!

don't worry about the research
if asked, just tell them you were just doing undergrad assistant type stuff rather than hardcore research
MANY people get into dental school without any research

unless you're gunning for Columbia, Penn, Harvard, or any other school that specifically highly values research, then I would not worry too much about it. Focus on volunteering at a community dental clinic.

you're good!
1. Get a competitive score on the DAT. A high GPA means they will be looking for a great score. This is due to schools having grade inflation.
2. make sure your shadowing hours are majority general.
3. If you can get a leadership role in a club, that would help too. This doesn't have to be Pres/VP.
4. Don't stress so much on the research. Medical schools care a lot about research, but no so much dental schools.
5. Have a good relationship with your professors because you'll need LoRs from them.

I have 0 research experience, and still got 6 interviews so far. Just really focus on the strengths you DO have!

I have 0 research experience, and still got 6 interviews so far. Just really focus on the strengths you DO have!

That is awesome! but what are you planning to tell them when they ask you about research? thats what scares me I do not want to seem like I have no idea what Im even doing

That is awesome! but what are you planning to tell them when they ask you about research? thats what scares me I do not want to seem like I have no idea what Im even doing
A lot of the time, they don’t even ask about research. I haven’t gotten a single question about it, though I did do some research for credit.

I strongly considered research in the middle of undergrad, but I was very deliberate in my decision to not do research. Instead, I focused this energy into other extracurriculars and pursuits outside of dentistry, so I explained during interviews. Not really a problem at all.

Reactions: 1 user