competitive MCAT score?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Smooth Operater

don't bug "operatEr"!
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My Canadian friend said that she got 11 on her MCAT. Is that consider a competive score to apply for med schools in general?

Members don't see this ad.

Smooth Operater said:
My Canadian friend said that she got 11 on her MCAT. Is that consider a competive score to apply for med schools in general?

If it is 11 total then it is not. There are 3 sections with maximum of 15 per section with total of 45. If she got three 11s then she would have 33, and this is competitive. In general people say you need over 30 to be competitive.

Generally you want to shoot for a 30 composite score (which averages out to 10's in each section). That's not to say that you can't get in with a lower score, in fact I know a ton of people who got in with 28's and 29's. However, once you drop below 27, your chances of acceptance drop off pretty quickly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Smooth Operater said:

A "good" MCAT score does not necessarily make a good applicant to medical school.

What about GPA? Personal/life experiences? Extra-currciculars? Accomplishments? Letters of rec.? The MCAT score needs to be considered in a more hollistic context, in my opinion.

Cat's Meow said:
A "good" MCAT score does not necessarily make a good applicant to medical school.

What about GPA? Personal/life experiences? Extra-currciculars? Accomplishments? Letters of rec.? The MCAT score needs to be considered in a more hollistic context, in my opinion.

There is a 100000000000% chance of your screwup on the test. Just DO it.

Cat's Meow said:

Yea, but I've found that there are more people being rejected with interesting life experience and crappy MCAT scores than people with high MCAT scores and relatively boring lives. No amount of life experience will make up for a 20.

Smooth Operater said:
Observation: Smooth Operater has 100+ Posts
Observation: Smooth Operater has been around since May.

Conclusion: Trolling! :sleep:

Maybe trolling, but probably just foreign. He's a dental person anyway, doesn't know anything about med...hmmm, begs the question of why he's posting in pre-allo, doesn't it?

rockit said:
There is a 100000000000% chance of your screwup on the test. Just DO it.

Wait a minute...I am not sure what your post is saying, but are you implying that I messed up the MCATs???

Thanks for making me feel bad :mad:

BTW, I did pretty well.

PostalWookie said:
Yea, but I've found that there are more people being rejected with interesting life experience and crappy MCAT scores than people with high MCAT scores and relatively boring lives. No amount of life experience will make up for a 20.

PostalWookie said:

True, but I don't think that arbitrarily setting a 30 MCAT as competitive is accurate.

For example, someone with a 25 still has a good chance if GPA is okay, ECs are good, and that the person had much to talk about.

I have not heard of anyone getting in by numbers alone. A 40 MCAT 4.0 GPA will not necessarily get you into med school if you have little to put on your application.

Face it: if you did nothing in college outside of classes or if you did not have any personal circumstances, you'd have a lot of time to study and do well on your MCATs and have a high GPA. A 40 MCAT and 4.0 GPA might get you a secondary at schools that screen, but if you have nothing to write about, your chances of getting an interview are quite small.

Being a doctor means being human and exploring your interests and showing that you will be empathetic as a caregiver. Numbers alone cannot do this.

Cat's Meow said:
True, but I don't think that arbitrarily setting a 30 MCAT as competitive is accurate.

For example, someone with a 25 still has a good chance if GPA is okay, ECs are good, and that the person had much to talk about.

I have not heard of anyone getting in by numbers alone. A 40 MCAT 4.0 GPA will not necessarily get you into med school if you have little to put on your application.

Face it: if you did nothing in college outside of classes or if you did not have any personal circumstances, you'd have a lot of time to study and do well on your MCATs and have a high GPA. A 40 MCAT and 4.0 GPA might get you a secondary at schools that screen, but if you have nothing to write about, your chances of getting an interview are quite small.

Being a doctor means being human and exploring your interests and showing that you will be empathetic as a caregiver. Numbers alone cannot do this.

You can look at it however you want, but I'd aim for a 30.

stoic said:
You can look at it however you want, but I'd aim for a 30.

Yeah, but if one doesn't get a 30, it doesn't mean that s/he will not make it or have his/her chances significantly reduced.

Cat's Meow said:
Yeah, but if one doesn't get a 30, it doesn't mean that s/he will not make it or have his/her chances significantly reduced.

You're right, but if you get more than a few points below 30 (say 26 or below), then you're chances for admissions really do go plummet. The AAMC has information showing as much on their webpage.

Look at it another way: How many people do you know who got a 32 (or better) and didn't get in? How many do you know who got a 26 or lower and didn't get in?

Shoot for at least a 30. If you don't get it, it's not the end of the world, but it is a good number to try for.

Members don't see this ad :)
30 doesn't make a good doctor, but it does make a good applicant.

rockit said:
30 doesn't make a good doctor, but it does make a good applicant.

...up to the point of secondary questions and interviews.

Cat's Meow said:
A 40 MCAT 4.0 GPA will not necessarily get you into med school if you have little to put on your application.

Barring a Level One felony, I'd bet the farm that a 4.0 and 40 would get anyone into medical school. Ever hear of Wash U? :) :)

DrYo12 said:
Maybe trolling, but probably just foreign. He's a dental person anyway, doesn't know anything about med...hmmm, begs the question of why he's posting in pre-allo, doesn't it?

I thought Smooth was into optometry. The OAT (mmmm, oats for breakfast), is a lot different from the MCAT.

SanDiegoSOD said:
Barring a Level One felony, I'd bet the farm that a 4.0 and 40 would get anyone into medical school. Ever hear of Wash U? :) :)
Oooo another shot.

Smooth Operater said:
No, she should consider optometry. :D

Sorry, but MCAT's do mean a lot. I have friends that are way more qualified for med school than most of the people I know with crazy scores. They really deserve (will be better MD's in my opinion) than the donkeys that can put up 33+ digits. The system has its ways. Best luck playin'. :thumbup:

Cat's Meow said:
I would say that a 4.0 and a 40 don't assure you a spot in any specific med school, but they can all but guarantee that you're going to get into at least one!

Cat's Meow said:

That's why God invented D.O. schools