This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nontradhopeful12

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm currently a rising senior at a small, private Midwestern college graduating in June 2019 with a B.S. in Mathematics with the former hopes to be an actuary. I've always been extremely fascinated with the health field and have been on the fence about my degree but never felt I "had what it takes" to even be accepted into a medical school. However, after completing an internship at a large Healthcare insurance corporation I have found that I am going to take the leap and pursue either an MD or DO.

I will be graduating with a 3.56 cGPA having completed the entire Calculus sequence, advanced Computer Science courses and proofs classes, but no high level science courses. I understand that maybe a Post-Bacc or DIY Post Bacc should probably then be my next step.

I was looking into Northwestern University and Loyola University but was worried that I would not be a competitive applicant to their PB program as I really am not a "career-changer" as I will just be graduating college (with nearly no full time work experience or volunteering under my belt) and I have no real idea what I would put in my statement of purpose.

Hopefully someone in here could provide more insight for me or some advice on what my next steps should be.

TIA!

Members don't see this ad.

Career change post-bacc are for those that have completed little to none of the pre-med requirements. They are not solely for those have have been working other jobs for the past couple years. They are called career change because during undergrad you had initially thought you were going into some other field (accounting, marketing, teaching) and now you are planning to go into a different field (medicine) - ergo "career changer".

There are so many post-bacc programs you could look at. The AAMC has done all the work already and has a list of the vast majority of formal post-bacc programs. Postbaccalaureate - AAMC

Additionally there are several MD/ and DO postbacc programs with linkages (gaurenteed spot in their medical school immediately after completing the postbacc)
Bottom-line there are so many options for you, it time to get to work and do your research.

JHU has one as well which also confers a degree that is useable at the CDC and NIH until you reapply, or w/e.