Competitive programs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
M

Miklos

Does anyone have an opinion or know where I could find a list of highly rated Psych programs?

Also, I would be interested in finding out how competitive west coast programs (especially California) are, especially for USIMGs.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Miklos

Members don't see this ad.

As a US-IMG, you'll have no problems at all matching at a really good psych program. Psych typically only fills 50-55% with US grads, and due to the nature of the work, i.e. communication skills are a premium in psych, you'll have a leg up on true IMGs. Good luck.

Members don't see this ad :)
Many programs seem to take AMGs first - the lists of current residents and their medical schools are sometimes posted on the residency websites, and could give you an idea of which programs might be IMG-friendly.

I think that UCLA, Stanford, UCSF, have relatively few IMGs (if any). Not sure about the other Cali programs. However, for psych in general, I think there are still a lot of spots for both AMGs and IMGs.

Last years match results showed 60% filled by US grads( based on NRMP). This year I predict closer to 70%. I interviewed at 13 programs and all of the program directors and coordinators stated that the applicant pool is much stronger this year and the number of applications to psych programs has significantly increased compared to previous years.

Originally posted by hurt
Last years match results showed 60% filled by US grads( based on NRMP). This year I predict closer to 70%. I interviewed at 13 programs and all of the program directors and coordinators stated that the applicant pool is much stronger this year and the number of applications to psych programs has significantly increased compared to previous years.

Thanks. That's very interesting.

If we look at the number of PGY1 Psych. positions filled via NRMP by US seniors for the last several years, we find the following data:

Year %US Seniors Tot. Positions
-------------------------------------------
1999 53.1% 908
2000 51.0% 944
2001 56.2% 933
2002 58.9% 957
2003 60.5% 986

Based on this, I would think that a jump to 70% would be unlikely unless fewer positions are being offered. Is that the case? Does anyone know how many positions will be offered?

Or does anyone else also think that there will be a large 'demographic' shift in the composition of Psych. programs?

Miklos

Re: above post. Took data and tried to create an area chart.

Any opinions?

Attachments

• psychnrmp.gif
    3.9 KB · Views: 330
I just looked at the resident roster for UCLA and only one "IMG" was on the roster and she was from Canada. I don't have information on Stanford or UCSF though, although I can tell you that Stanford's website says that they have not taken a FMG for many years.

Both Canadian and American med schools are accreditted by the same body, namely, Liaison Committee on Medical Education (LCME) http://www.lcme.org/

Therefore Canadian med school grads are not IMG regardless of what definition you use. :)

That's also why when you buy the AMA-published book, Medical School Admssions Requirement (MSAR), it contains both American and Canadian med schools. They are considered in the same group for all intent purposes.

Originally posted by PsychNOS
I just looked at the resident roster for UCLA and only one "IMG" was on the roster and she was from Canada. I don't have information on Stanford or UCSF though, although I can tell you that Stanford's website says that they have not taken a FMG for many years.