competitive residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gibna

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am hearing alot that top tier graduates have an advantage over lower tier graduates when applying to medical schools. Could this advantage be eliminated if the guy graduating from a lower tier school got a PhD with their MDs.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by gibna
I am hearing alot that top tier graduates have an advantage over lower tier graduates when applying to medical schools.

When applying to med schools, or residencies?

Residencies, top tier being top 10 medical schools, and lower tier being around 50 - 80 most selective medical school

Originally posted by gibna
I am hearing alot that top tier graduates have an advantage over lower tier graduates when applying to medical schools. Could this advantage be eliminated if the guy graduating from a lower tier school got a PhD with their MDs.

it sounds like you meant whether or not md/ph.d helps when applying to residencies, not medical schools.

I'd say, yes it helps. Many things help. Like being AOA, or having a great rack. But you have to ask yourself...is it worth the extra 3-4 years? Something you gotta figure out for yourself.