Competitive specialty chances for an IMG?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PastHunt

Reaction score
I'm interested in two completely different but super competitive fields - Ortho, and Rads (specifically Rad Onc but also DR).

275 Step 1 - first time pass.

264 Step 2 CK

No red flags on application (no failed classes or repeats). Also have 1 first author publication on bone cancer, and I am a non trad (finishing med school at the ripe old age of 33) and had a career in the biotech industry before med school if programs give a **** about any of that.

DISCLAIMER: I am completely 100% ok with IM or PM&R if I'm lucky enough to match into that. These are just speculations of a simple human being trying to reach for the stars.

Members don't see this ad.

Yawn...don't trolls hibernate in the winter?

Reactions: 2 users
You need research and connections where you have a chance of matching. Step scores are only part of the puzzle.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Rads definitely. Ortho I'd be surprised if you got more than a handful of interviews and probably have a very low chance of matching.

You said you're an IMG. Can you be more specific? US citizen who went Caribbean? Canadian? Western European from school somewhere in Western Europe? Asian or South American? Will you need visa support?

Connections will help, and it's always possible. But not all IMGs are alike...

You said you're an IMG. Can you be more specific? US citizen who went Caribbean? Canadian? Western European from school somewhere in Western Europe? Asian or South American? Will you need visa support?

Connections will help, and it's always possible. But not all IMGs are alike...

I'm a US Citizen at one of the big 4 Caribbean schools. What do you mean by it's always possible? I was under the assumption that specialties like rads and ortho are pretty much out of question for people like me.

I'm a US Citizen at one of the big 4 Caribbean schools. What do you mean by it's always possible? I was under the assumption that specialties like rads and ortho are pretty much out of question for people like me.
rads is not as competitive as ortho, especially community programs.

the fact that you are claiming to have a 275 and not know that Rad onc is not under “rads” is setting off my troll radar.

But regardless, even with a 275, img virtually kills rad onc chances. Rads is doable.

Reactions: 1 users
the fact that you are claiming to have a 275 and not know that Rad onc is not under “rads” is setting off my troll radar.

But regardless, even with a 275, img virtually kills rad onc chances. Rads is doable.

by rads I meant DR, and I was under the impression that rad onc and DR have separate residencies. But is it possible to do a rad onc fellowship after a DR residency or do you have to apply to the program separately?

US citizen from Caribbean school is deeply problematic. First question will be why you went to a Caribbean school versus a US MD school, and there are very, very few good answers to that question.

by rads I meant DR, and I was under the impression that rad onc and DR have separate residencies. But is it possible to do a rad onc fellowship after a DR residency or do you have to apply to the program separately?

DR and rad onc are totally separate specialties with totally separate aims. It's not like DR and IR where they are specialized versions of the same pathway.

DR is radiology where they read films, do diagnostic procedures, and advise other physicians on further workup and management

Rad onc are oncologists (like medical oncologists or surgical oncologists) who treat cancer patients. Their method for treating cancer patients uses radiation, but in a TOTALLY different way that radiologists use radiation.

Ortho and Rad Onc = zero chance. You would need to do lots of research, and get really lucky. Google "Million Dollar Mistake Blog" to see how trying to get into Ortho from the carib can end badly. (For the record, had that guy applied to IM the first time around, he would have matched much better and then had no problem getting a great Cards spot)

Radiology = no problem from the carib with scores like that. DR is much easier than IR, but both are possible.

As mentioned, Radiology and Rad Onc are two different fields that have no crossover. You can't train in one and then "fellowship" in the other.

I'm interested in two completely different but super competitive fields - Ortho, and Rads (specifically Rad Onc but also DR).

275 Step 1 - first time pass.

264 Step 2 CK

No red flags on application (no failed classes or repeats). Also have 1 first author publication on bone cancer, and I am a non trad (finishing med school at the ripe old age of 33) and had a career in the biotech industry before med school if programs give a **** about any of that.

DISCLAIMER: I am completely 100% ok with IM or PM&R if I'm lucky enough to match into that. These are just speculations of a simple human being trying to reach for the stars.

you'd have to be jesus to be considered for ortho in the slightest. even then it's almost impossible.

Aren't you this guy from the screen shot thread, with 285 step 1 and 260 step 2? And also 2 papers about bone cancer??
SmartSelect_20181020-044051.jpeg

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: 4 users
Aren't you this guy from the screen shot thread, with 285 step 1 and 260 step 2? And also 2 papers about bone cancer??View attachment 240981

LOL. Dude is probably a first year in the Caribbean, wondering hypothetically if he gets a 285 step 1 and two "bone cancer" publications, is it enough. Hilarious.

LOL. Dude is probably a first year in the Caribbean, wondering hypothetically if he gets a 285 step 1 and two "bone cancer" publications, is it enough. Hilarious.
Agreed. Especially from him thinking rad onc is radiology.

Didn’t we have this troll thread already, or am I having a temporal lobe seizure?