Dismiss Notice
SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Competitive Stats for Johns Hopkins?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by rjhtamu, Feb 19, 2002.

1. rjhtamu

rjhtamu Stargazer Royale

Anyone have an idea what they might be?

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Papa Smurf

Papa Smurf Thug 4 Life

Anywhere between HIGH and REALLY HIGH.
    If you were looking for numbers, I'd say >3.7 (from a reputable school) and around 33+ on the MCAT.

4. bots

bots Member

I got into Hopkins with a 38S and a 3.9. However, I know of others who have much less than that. Funny thing is, even with the numbers, I just got waitlisted at Columbia.

The moral: Numbers aren't the whole story; it all depends on what else you have to offer and what they're looking for.

BOTS

5. irongirl

irongirl Member

I was waitlisted at Hopkins, you need good stats, but not really high. I would say 3.7 and 30. They put a lot more emphasis on the rest of the application. As for where you went to undergrad, I don't think it is very important to Hopkins compared to other big name schools. Almost everyone I interviewed with came from a public school or a small liberal arts school... I don't remember any Ivy Leaguers.

6. coop

coop Senior Member

obviously sample sizes are small on any given day, but when I went there were 4 hopkins ugrads (myself included), 3 harvard, 2 stanford, 2 penn, 1 berkeley, and the other 3 or 4 were from smaller schools.

Stats are certainly only one thing, I've heard of people with 3.9, 43 who didn't get interviews, and those with 3.5, 30 who got in. In general, unless you've done something super extraordinary, anything below the 3.6, 31 range is probably unlikely.

7. Original

Original Ogori-Magongo Warrior

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by bots:
    <strong>I got into Hopkins with a 38S and a 3.9.
    -----------
    Super Nintendo, Sega Genesis-- when I was dead broke, man I couldn't picture this.

--Notorious
    </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Those are some wild stats! Congrats on Hopkins. Still digging your signature. Definitely timeless! Straight out of Juicy:

We used to fuss when the landlord dissed us
    No heat, wonder why Christmas missed us
    Birthdays was the worst days
    Now we sip champagne when we thirsty
    oh, damn right I like the life I live
    'Cause I went from negative to positive

And it's all good......and if you don't know, now you know...

--Notorious

8. DesperatelySeekingMD

DesperatelySeekingMD Senior Member

I got into Hopkins in early Nov. with good (from a top tier school), but not exceptional grades and a very solid score on the MCAT. What they really seemed to be stressing was my overall application and the breadth and depth of my experiences. I really loved their interview becuase it was not just a what did you do when and why is this that way, but my interviewers asked in depth questions that really got at the kind of person that I am and how I have been shaped by all of my experiences. It was definitely my favorite interview....and I am 99.9% sure (unless I get a ton of financial aid from another school) that I will be at Hopkins next year...
    I would say apply and see what happens...good luck..

9. Ben01

Ben01 Member

</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Originally posted by DesperatelySeekingMD:
    <strong>my interviewers asked in depth questions that really got at the kind of person that I am and how I have been shaped by all of my experiences. </strong></font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">like what?

10. bots

bots Member

In response to Ben01--

My interview experience at Hopkins was the same way. Since I'm a JHU undergrad, the interviewer only asked me one question, why I wanted to stay at Hopkins another four years. In answering, I described in detail my activities and why they pushed me to remain here. 10 minutes later, just when I thought the intro part of the interview was over, he was like "okay, that's great, good luck with the rest of your interviews," and I was over. I guess I must have been on target with what I said!

BOTS

11. NSF

NSF Junior Member

Hi all. I'm still kind of new to SDN.

Bots! I was also accepted to JHU (found out early Nov.) but two days ago got my beautiful waitlist letter from Columbia. We should start a club.

To the original poster on this topic;

My stats were around average for JHU: 35T and a 3.8 from an ivy. My ec's were decent but not spectacular (one year full-time research with one pub on the way (2nd author), hospital volunteer work, some tutoring work).

I think key for me was a good interview and well-written, sincere essays. I got along well with my interviewer and I wrote enthusiastic thank-you letters to my interviewer, student interviewer, and Dean White.

I'll probably be at JHU this Sept. Bots, will I see you there?

If I manage to get off the P&S waitlist, I MAY reconsider.