Competitive volunteering (non-clinical), volunteering (clinical) and shadowing hours for top 20 Med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KeViN2502

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I know this completely depends on each student's situation, but if assuming I have great research experience, publication, great ECs like starting a club and non-profit organization, what are the appropriate hours for the 3 things I listed above to be a competitive applicant for top Med schools? To me those things are like "checking the box" rather than really showing my personality, so I just want to have an idea for what I should aim for (or close to) and use my time wisely.

Thank you and have a great day everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

There's no magic number to aim for. You should be doing things because you enjoy them, not because you're trying to "check a box". These experiences are super important for your interviews, and interviewers can tell if you didn't actually care about any of your EC's.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
The hours matter far less than what you learned from the experience.

Because I already assumed I will learn great things and be able to express it well in an interview. But as an Adcom you don't want to see like 50 volunteering hours don't you?

To clear things up, I didn't mean to say "Oh I have 2000 hours, like checking the box, but I don't learn anything or I don't have any great story to tell in the interview". No no no I still have great stories, my experience will still be super meaningful, but I hesitate to spend like 800 hours instead I can spend 300 and use that extra 500 hours for research and have a publication.

Because I already assumed I will learn great things and be able to express it well in an interview. But as an Adcom you don't want to see like 50 volunteering hours don't you?

To clear things up, I didn't mean to say "Oh I have 2000 hours, like checking the box, but I don't learn anything or I don't have any great story to tell in the interview". No no no I still have great stories, my experience will still be super meaningful, but I hesitate to spend like 800 hours instead I can spend 300 and use that extra 500 hours for research and have a publication.
Do what's meaningful for you in the number of hours you deem right for you.

Reactions: 2 users