Competitiveness for General Surgery or another surgical subspecialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

theNDhopeful44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone could help me with some questions I had regarding my future residency application. I like the idea of doing general surgery so that I can do any subspecialty fellowship after residency, and I ideally would want to pursue an academic program (excluding the west coast, that's probably too far from home for me). I feel like my academic profile so far is solid but not extraordinary on its own: 243 on step 1, top 20% of my class at a mid-tier midwest MD program, in the middle of 3rd year rotations right now, with 3 abstracts and 1 publication in a relatively minor journal with 1 pending.

So my question: what do I need to be doing between now and when I apply to help my competitiveness to match?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey guys,

Was wondering if anyone could help me with some questions I had regarding my future residency application. I like the idea of doing general surgery so that I can do any subspecialty fellowship after residency, and I ideally would want to pursue an academic program (excluding the west coast, that's probably too far from home for me). I feel like my academic profile so far is solid but not extraordinary on its own: 243 on step 1, top 20% of my class at a mid-tier midwest MD program, in the middle of 3rd year rotations right now, with 3 abstracts and 1 publication in a relatively minor journal with 1 pending.

So my question: what do I need to be doing between now and when I apply to help my competitiveness to match?

Try to get the best clinical grades possible and set yourself up for good LOR’s. Otherwise seems like you’re doing well and have good research.

Thanks for your replies guys. I think staying in the midwest would be great–– do you think I look ok for programs like Cleveland Clinic and Mayo?