Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Competitiveness of AF HPSP

Discussion in 'Military Medicine' started by HooahDOc, Apr 20, 2004.

1. HooahDOc

Physician 15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Does anyone have any info or links regarding the competitiveness of Air Force HPSP? I know it's the most competitive of the three, but I have heard stories that the AF accepted all applicants this past cycle.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. cdreed

cdreed Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I am not sure about the acceptance rates, but as a MSI, I have a classmate that did not receive the scholarship.

4. bokermmk

bokermmk Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

I dont think it is that competative. After I turned my scholarship down, my recruiter got frank with me and said he was surprised I applied b/c the majority of his previous applicants had MCATS 24-27. On another note my premed advisor said no one at our school that applied HPSP has ever been denied.

5. idq1i

Attending Physician
    The reason for the AF's competitiveness: Limited #of spots

24-27 on the MCATs??? :eek: Can anyone actually confirm that? Seems awfully low.

6. I was told that by a recruiter. apparently a lot of post baculatete (spelled wrong) do it. A lot of good people do it too. and this year af had a lot of appliactions compared to last year.

If you really want in, I think almost any serious student can.

NEW QUESTOIN: a lot of this gmo stuff seems to be from the navy, but what about af?

7. denali

denali Senior Member
    15+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    We received a brief from the AF Dep. SG a couple of months ago and he stated he felt with the increase in the AF's deployability, the AF would have to go back to GMOs.

FWIW,

8. Rudy

Rudy Member
    10+ Year Member

Yes, the numbers are low and this is an area of major concern for higher-ups in military medicine. See this excerpt from a US Medicine article:

* USU has experienced a 50 per cent drop in applications over the last five years. MCAT scores have held steady at the average for most state schools, but are below the average of top-tier schools. USU accounts for about 12 per cent of current accessions but because its graduates have longer obligated service they make up 24 per cent of today's military physicians.

* HPSP provides three-quarters of military physician accessions. Applications for HPSP have declined over the last five years from more than four to less than two per scholarship. Five years ago many scholarships went to students attending top-tier schools. This year there are none. Now HPSP students' mean MCAT scores are at the minimum for acceptance to allopathic medical schools. Over half of this year's scholarships went to osteopathic students, although there are only twenty osteopathic schools and 125 allopathic schools in the nation.

Full link:
    http://www.usmedicine.com/column.cfm?columnID=147&issueID=56

9. HooahDOc

Attending Physician
    They should stick PAs and LNPs in the spots normally taken by GMOs.