Competitiveness of AF HPSP

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DD214_DOC

20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have any info or links regarding the competitiveness of Air Force HPSP? I know it's the most competitive of the three, but I have heard stories that the AF accepted all applicants this past cycle.

Members don't see this ad.

I am not sure about the acceptance rates, but as a MSI, I have a classmate that did not receive the scholarship.

I dont think it is that competative. After I turned my scholarship down, my recruiter got frank with me and said he was surprised I applied b/c the majority of his previous applicants had MCATS 24-27. On another note my premed advisor said no one at our school that applied HPSP has ever been denied.

Members don't see this ad :)
I was told that by a recruiter. apparently a lot of post baculatete (spelled wrong) do it. A lot of good people do it too. and this year af had a lot of appliactions compared to last year.

If you really want in, I think almost any serious student can.

NEW QUESTOIN: a lot of this gmo stuff seems to be from the navy, but what about af?

We received a brief from the AF Dep. SG a couple of months ago and he stated he felt with the increase in the AF's deployability, the AF would have to go back to GMOs.

FWIW,

Yes, the numbers are low and this is an area of major concern for higher-ups in military medicine. See this excerpt from a US Medicine article:

* USU has experienced a 50 per cent drop in applications over the last five years. MCAT scores have held steady at the average for most state schools, but are below the average of top-tier schools. USU accounts for about 12 per cent of current accessions but because its graduates have longer obligated service they make up 24 per cent of today's military physicians.

* HPSP provides three-quarters of military physician accessions. Applications for HPSP have declined over the last five years from more than four to less than two per scholarship. Five years ago many scholarships went to students attending top-tier schools. This year there are none. Now HPSP students' mean MCAT scores are at the minimum for acceptance to allopathic medical schools. Over half of this year's scholarships went to osteopathic students, although there are only twenty osteopathic schools and 125 allopathic schools in the nation.

Full link:
http://www.usmedicine.com/column.cfm?columnID=147&issueID=56