competitiveness of MSTP vs MD-only

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zellantus

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I would like to do an MSTP, but I'm worried that it will be ultra-competitive and jeopardize my admission into medical school. I'm specifically interested in in-state UCs...does anyone know how much harder it is to get into MSTP compared to MD-only? I'd prefer doing an MSTP, but MD is okay too since I can still do research.

Members don't see this ad.

You maybe able to join MSTP program after you start the MD program. Since I don't goto any of these schools so I don't know how it works, but I have heard people doing so.

zellantus said:
I would like to do an MSTP, but I'm worried that it will be ultra-competitive and jeopardize my admission into medical school. I'm specifically interested in in-state UCs...does anyone know how much harder it is to get into MSTP compared to MD-only? I'd prefer doing an MSTP, but MD is okay too since I can still do research.

UC's are really competitive regardless. MSTP may be slightly more, and applying MSTP does mean it takes longer for the MD comittee to get your file if the MSTP committee doesn't grant you an interview (for UCLA, UCI, and UCSD). For UCSF, I believe both committees have to look over your file before you can interview. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is the case because I was rejected from both MD and MSTP in the same letter. If you have to stay in Cali for personal reasons, or cause its just really nice here ;) , I guess apply MD for all but UCSF (I don't know much about the Md/Phd program at Davis). However, the application process is pretty random so don't bank on the UC's and apply to other schools as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
For some people, I think it would be easier to get into an MSTP program than an MD-only program. Typically, these are people who are more interested in research and science and do not have as much clinical experience as other people do.

That said there are less spots available. Will it harm your ability to get into plain medical school? A lot of places allow you apply simultaneously, so the answer would be probably not. The question should be what do you actually want to do? Do you want to be a practicing physician or medical researcher? If a medical researcher, what kind (more clinical vs more basic science)?

If you are more clinically inclined, then MD-only might be the way to go. If you are really into the research though (clinical or basic science), then you should look into MD/PhD programs.

I think it depends on how much research experience you have and your career goals. If you have a substantial amount of research experience with little volunteering or clinical experience, you may have a better chance with MD/PhD programs. But in terms of numbers there are very few MD/PhD slots compared to MD programs. As hawkeey said it also depends on your career goals. If you want to become a scientist, then I would say apply for MD/PhD programs. However, if your main goal is to become a practicing physician without doing research, then apply to MD programs.

For California schools (I live in CA and have applied to several UCs) MD and MD/PhD are both very competitive. You will be in a tough spot because there are no in-state safety schools. Make sure you apply to some schools outside CA and NY. Looking back this would be my biggest piece of advice for CA residents. I applied to mostly UCs and Ivy-leagues and I could have easily been stuck without anything if those didn't work out. Make sure you look into public and private schools that take out-of-staters, have good research, and are located in a place you wouldn't mind living in (ex: UTSW, Northwestern, Colorado, Duke, etc.)

hawkeey said:
For some people, I think it would be easier to get into an MSTP program than an MD-only program. Typically, these are people who are more interested in research and science and do not have as much clinical experience as other people do.

That said there are less spots available. Will it harm your ability to get into plain medical school? A lot of places allow you apply simultaneously, so the answer would be probably not. The question should be what do you actually want to do? Do you want to be a practicing physician or medical researcher? If a medical researcher, what kind (more clinical vs more basic science)?

If you are more clinically inclined, then MD-only might be the way to go. If you are really into the research though (clinical or basic science), then you should look into MD/PhD programs.

I agree with this poster but I don't think that it matters that there are fewer spots for MD/PhD programs because the intensity of the program eliminates a lot of applicants. Not too many people want to spend 8-9 years of their lives in med/grad school. So although there are fewer spots, there are fewer applicants. I do know that MD/PhD students have higher MCAT scores/GPA's than regular MD admissions. This could be because of the type of people applying to MD/PhD programs.

Its probably about even in my opinion, no? I mean yeah the average stats for entering MSTP are higher than just the MD programs, and you also have to carry a good research background - but they're entirely different career paths in general.

Either way proving it would make an interesting paper...*hint hint*

Here is some data:

From the 2005-06 MSAR: Out of ~35,000 applicants to medical schools in 2003, ~17,500 matriculated.

From MSTP National Applicant Pool 2003 survey: 2,046 applicants to MD/PhD programs (57 programs), 500 matriculated.

So 1 in 2 MD applicants are accepted whereas only 1 in 4 MD/PhD applicants are accepted.

This thread just made me interested in finding out some stats. Also, I foudn the MSTP survey at http://www.intransit.us/appsurvey.pdf