Competitiveness of primary care residencies in Florida?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cadingcading

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the competitiveness of residency(FM, Peds, OB, IM) in Florida? Is it as competitive as California?

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing is competitive like California

Members don't see this ad :)
It’s silly that people want to live in California
Something something something 6th largest economy sometime something cal-exit something. Lol

Reactions: 1 user
Is every specialty in CA very competitive, including primary care? Can’t tell if you are being sarcastic or not

Is every specialty in CA very competitive, including primary care? Can’t tell if you are being sarcastic or not

I wouldnt say “very” competitive for every specialty. But they are very competitive compared to the same exact s

Can you name some examples of the doable ones?

depends what’s your application looks like. But certainly primary care specialties in the non-coastal locations are doable

Can you name some examples of the doable ones?
As the poster above said, I know people who matched IM and FM back who wanted to go back. There are a number of community programs in non-costal cities (think UCSF Fresno) that are doable for DOs. Anything else you are working uphill towards. You can always look at the matched DOs in the specialty in the state vs. MDs to gauge competiveness or DO bias.

I think if Florida wasn’t land locked, it would be just as competitive as California. Maybe if Florida wasn’t so crazy on their taxes and got rid of their income tax they’d also have a chance against California... There’s also nothing to do in Florida!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
I think if Florida wasn’t land locked, it would be just as competitive as California. Maybe if Florida wasn’t so crazy on their taxes and got rid of their income tax they’d also have a chance against California... There’s also nothing to do in Florida!
Florida has no state income tax. What sucks is the humidity, it’s freaking unbearable. Unless you’re super rich and living down by fancy parts of Miami, or maybe Tampa, there is just no reason to put up with the humidity. Fun place to visit though, great way to escape the cold in winter. Would never intentionally lay roots in FL though. I want 4 seasons.

Reactions: 1 users
Can anyone comment on the competitiveness of residency(FM, Peds, OB, IM) in Florida? Is it as competitive as California?
To answer your actual question lol.

It depends on region and location. I'm aiming to do IM in South Florida, there are a ton of community programs and a lot of them are filled with IMGs/FMGs, so I don't think they're that competitive. The university programs like UF and USF should be more competitive, but still not ridiculously so.