Competitiveness of Trauma?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Skyeman

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've seen the statistics for the average general surgery residency matches, but I was wondering what are my chances of getting into a trauma fellowship after my general surgery residency? Do they still look at USMLE scores or are there other factors they consider?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Somehow that makes me nervous lol.

Lol why?

Its not competitive bc it has one of the worst lifestyles in surgery.

IIRC the pay is also less compared to most other surgical sub specialties.

Reactions: 1 user
Not competitive via gen surg at all.

Strangly, its super competitive in ortho in recent years, despite a crappy job market.

Reactions: 1 user
They don't really care about USMLE scores. They will look at ABSITE (surgery in-service exam) scores, and other factors from your residency will help you (LORs, faculty connections, etc.).

Is the life style really much worse than other specialties?
Also, how much of it is actually emergency work? I've heard that a lot of it is just general surgery.

Strangly, its super competitive in ortho in recent years, despite a crappy job market.

You have any thoughts on why?

I know of a couple guys that are completing additional fellowships (let's say hip or foot and ankle) with the plan of doing ortho trauma and supplementing with procedures that they specialized in.

Reactions: 1 users
You have any thoughts on why?

I know of a couple guys that are completing additional fellowships (let's say hip or foot and ankle) with the plan of doing ortho trauma and supplementing with procedures that they specialized in.

I think part of the reason is that you can have a decent "general orthopaedics" practice to keep the lights on, but still achieve the career satisfaction of being an expert in trauma. Like you mention, a lot of traumatologists will have an elective practice in total joints, hand & upper extremity, or F&A at a level 1 center and supplement it with the trauma cases that come in. All orthopaedists do this to some extent anyway, but those fellowship-trained in trauma will tackle the gnarly cases (pelvic fractures, comminuted tibial plateaus, extremity shortening or bone loss injuries, long bone mal-unions, etc...). At very busy level 1 centers there are people who only do trauma, but as you can imagine that's a rough gig.

Lifestyle has gotten better in ortho trauma for attendings, and operating overnight is not as common as it once was (still happens, though). But by ortho standards, the lifestyle and pay aren't all that great. For whatever reason it's just a hot field right now.

Reactions: 1 users