Competitiveness

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cards Guy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have an idea about avg step I scores needed to get into top programs in IM.

Members don't see this ad.

Cards,

I don't the answer to your question, but I, too, am quite curious as to what the Step 1 cutoffs are for the top IM residencies. The problem is, at my school no one will give me an honest answer. As an MSIII, I just want to have an idea of what are reasonable expectations.

As a service to other potential IM candidates, would those of you have been getting interviews tell us what sort of board scores you got and where you are interviewing. Or, at least what the Program Directors at your own schools have been telling you. I realize that most of us consider this somewhat private information, but the good thing is that SDN is totally anonymous.

Thanks

I have heard step I >230 at top tier and >240 at top 10 for IM. This was the rumor for the 2002 match.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just wanted to say that any info would be appreciated. :) I think I'd probably like to move to Boston for residency, and would guess that even the non-Harvard affiliated programs are fairly competitive. I'm just an MS1 but it definitely would be nice to know what to expect! For example I keep hearing that the preclinical grades aren't crucial for IM, but does that apply to top programs? And does AOA status really help (especially since I'm not in a "name" school)?

I know these questions sound gunnerish but I need motivation to study for my second anatomy/histo/embryo midterms anyway. :)

I feel that 230/240 as previously posted may be a little bit high, but not an unreasonable guess. Keep in mind it also matters where you go to school, if you honored your medicine third year clerkship, if you are AOA (it ALWAYS helps), and if you did a rotation as a fourth year at a given institution.
As far as the preclinical grades, (i.e. first and second year) they do not really seem to matter, except as far as AOA status goes, in my school it is based in part on honoring something each year, total number of honors grades, and then a subjective review of your file and written evaluations.
Good luck all...

JB

>> I know these questions sound gunnerish but I need motivation to study for my second anatomy/histo/embryo midterms anyway. <<

Wow. That's so mature. My motivation was usually going out for an ice cream sundae (okay, or a beer) with friends if we did well on a test. Study hard, and good luck! :D

If you do well, we can "Rock and Roll All Night."

I applied to 19 programs...all Med-Peds, so this only partially applies. I got a 245 on step I and have gotten 13/19 interviews already without even having my dean's letter sent out yet.
:D
Hope this helps,
CR

For the IM program at my med school, Northwestern, the PD said he's "comfortable" taking anyone with a score over 205, which means that's the minimum he's willing to accept before he starts considering an application. And for reference, NU's IM program is definitely not top ten, and probably not top tier either, but it's not chopped liver.

Good luck

If you are applying to the so called "top tier" programs in order to land a competitive fellowship, you really should look at the divisions. A lot of good programs out there have strong cards or pulmonary divisions which will be much more integral in landing a good fellowship than the ethereal reputation of a program. A good percentage of academic centers have top notch divisions, eventhough they may not have the gold encrusted names like Harvard, UW, UCSF or Johns Hopkins. A good indicator of strength is the independence of the division and the quality and reputation of the attending faculty.

Anyways, if you are going just for reputation...you could be in for a painful 3 years.

By the way, strong letters, a good (and true) personal statement, board scores at or above the mean and ranking in top half of your class will land you an interview at about 98% of academic internal medicine residencies.

Hey guys. 688 views, 9 responses. Help me out and give me some info. Is anyone excited about the deans letter coming out tomorrow?

I'm an R2 at a top 10 IM program. Many of the people in my class were top 15-20% in med school class and had Step I scores at least >220, from my very informal polling. But there were people below this and people way above this.

What that means is that top IM programs are different than Derm, Ophtho, Rads, ENT and so forth. Many IM PDs will be strongly influenced by performance on a particular rotation or a particularly well written letter from the right person. The other fields I mentioned tend to be somewhat more #s oriented, but not completely so.

Bottom line, if there's a program you're really interested in that might be a reach for you, think about doing an away rotation there.