Complaining about everything that's wrong with medicine today seems to be in vogue.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jack Daniel

In Memory of Riley Jane
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Here's a nice, short essay (2 pages) on the joys of being a physician. It's good encouragement, appealing to my idealistic nature, as I fritter my last remaining couple of weeks before school starts:

http://www.memag.com/memag/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=283060&pageID=1

I especially admire this quote:

"Complaining about everything that's wrong with medicine today seems to be in vogue. We work too hard for too little. We have five minutes to see each patient. Malpractice rates are through the roof. Insurance executives dictate therapeutic decisions. While these are valid points, they don't change what is at the core of being a physician. We get to help people every day while doing something that's challenging, exciting, and fun. Patients and society trust us, look up to us, and are grateful to us. We really are lucky."

Members don't see this ad.

BostonDO said:
Here's a nice, short essay (2 pages) on the joys of being a physician. It's good encouragement, appealing to my idealistic nature, as I fritter my last remaining couple of weeks before school starts:

http://www.memag.com/memag/article/articleDetail.jsp?id=283060&pageID=1

I especially admire this quote:

"Complaining about everything that's wrong with medicine today seems to be in vogue. We work too hard for too little. We have five minutes to see each patient. Malpractice rates are through the roof. Insurance executives dictate therapeutic decisions. While these are valid points, they don't change what is at the core of being a physician. We get to help people every day while doing something that's challenging, exciting, and fun. Patients and society trust us, look up to us, and are grateful to us. We really are lucky."

Great post BostonDO. Thanks for posting this article.

-JC

It's nice to hear about that side of medicine once in a while. I'm glad there are still doctors who enjoy practicing medicine. Sometimes I get tired of hearing only negative things.