1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

complete all the prereq or gettting a bachelor in biology???

Discussion in 'Pre-Pharmacy' started by asianbabigrl87, Aug 5, 2006.

1. asianbabigrl87

asianbabigrl87 Junior Member
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    do pharmacy school prefer applicants to have a bachelor degree in their major or have all their prereq requirements?????

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. risktaker

risktaker its worth the risk
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Bachelors is alwaz more welcomed than just finishing the pre-requisites. In certain cases universities also accept bachelors even if u do not have all the pre-requsite courses completed eg. english or some electives.
    But as u came to know from your earlier posts that there are some easy universities, right. Just apply to those ones and see what happens. Cos lot of my frds have been accepted to univ in states just after finishing their pre-req courses. Only if u r applying to some competitive universities u wud need to have Bachelors.
    But I am in the same boat as you. I am in my second year, and i m thinkin of applying to few univ in states.......so ye odnt think u r lacking something if u dont have bachelors :thumbup:

4. asianbabigrl87

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    but the thing is that in order to finish all the prereq it takes about 3 yrs and on the other hand it will only take about 4 yrs to get ur bachelors so i donno.... :confused:

5. Glowwyrm

Glowwyrm Member
    5+ Year Member

I would think that most of your pre-reqs for pharmacy school would also be part of your bachelor's requirement if you're majoring in biology or chemistry. Take the first 2 years and fit in as many pre-reqs that are also part of your bachelor's requirement. Apply at the end of your sophmore year of college. If you don't get into pharmacy school on the first try, then you can keep plugging away at your bachelors degree. This way you have nothing to lose. That's what I would do anyway if I were in your shoes.

6. ForcedEntry

ForcedEntry Lilo got stitched
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    Not true, I will have finished the pre-reqs in 1.5 yrs and worked 50 hrs a week the entire time. Nothing is impossible.

7. asianbabigrl87

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy
    wow !!!! i donno how u did that, anywayz i also have another question can u apply to a school before you finish all ur prereq ???

8. asianbabigrl87

2+ Year Member

Pre-Pharmacy

what school do you go to now???

9. Pharmcdc

Pharmcdc Troches & lollipops
    7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    This whole complete prereq. vs bachelors thing is always asked and IMO idiotic. You will easily finish your prereqs before you complete your degree. SO WHY NOT APPLY!! The worst case, you dont get in, YOU WONT GET IN IF YOU DONT APPLY. If your grades are good/PCAT, you have as much chance as anybody else to get in and you might!

If you dont get in, finish your degree, and you will have the experience of applying which will let you know what your strengths and weaknesses are= better candidate.

10. ForcedEntry

ForcedEntry Lilo got stitched
    2+ Year Member

Pharmacy Student
    SPC...it's a community college therefore easier and for dumb people as many have posted before. I say poppycock!

11. cycloketocaine

7+ Year Member

Pharmacist
    I completed part of my pre reqs at a community college...and let me tell you, my Gen Chem teacher at the CC was a million times harder than my O Chem teacher at a university. Just my opinion. :oops: