TIGIBedHead

Fever to Tell
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2005
erewhon
Status
I know that some schools won't look at your application until the LORs are in. What are the applications doing until then? Does everything remain on the computer, so that you will be ready for review by the committee the second that your LORs are received? How much do the LORs slow down the process?

modelslashactor

Safety not guaranteed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2005
Status
Most schools will make you 'complete' once the LORs are there and then make a decision at their next meeting. Before that your file sits in a cabinet/on a computer, waiting for the letters.

OP
TIGIBedHead

TIGIBedHead

Fever to Tell
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jul 21, 2005
erewhon
Status
Ok, I was gonna ask a convoluted question to follow up, but decided instead to mellow out for a bit. SDN makes me even more overly-analytical than usual. Thanks for your reply.

About the Ads

geno2568

10+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2006
Ithaca, NY
Status
Pre-Medical
My school's pre health committee doesn't send out letters until August 16th. Will this put me at a disadvantage?

B

bwbaker

Should you sent your letters before you are verified by aamc? I have all my letters and i am just holding on to them, should i go on and send them??

THX
-will

shantster

Eye protection!
10+ Year Member
Feb 10, 2005
Wherever life takes me...
Status
Resident [Any Field]
bwbaker said:
Should you sent your letters before you are verified by aamc? I have all my letters and i am just holding on to them, should i go on and send them??

THX
-will
A lot of schools won't take your letters until after you've been invited to fill out a secondary. I'd hold off until then.

modelslashactor

Safety not guaranteed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2005
Status
geno2568 said:
My school's pre health committee doesn't send out letters until August 16th. Will this put me at a disadvantage?
i wouldn't call it a disadvantage, but you won't get any interview invites until after the letters are in. since most schools do not start interviewing until september this probably isn't a problem, and if it was i'm sure the committee would change their timeline.

hermit

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 30, 2006
Status
Medical Student
modelslashactor said:
you won't get any interview invites until after the letters are in
According to other SDN posters, this is not true. Several threads not too long ago mentioned the fact that people were getting interview invites before sending LORs.

modelslashactor

Safety not guaranteed
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 11, 2005
Status
maybe at a few schools, but those are usually automatic invites by the likes of Michigan et al because of high gpa/mcat. there may be others for other reasons but i am oblivious to them.

dimebag darrell

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 31, 2005
Status
geno2568 said:
I have a hunch as to where you go to school.

This policy only makes me lazy about filling out secondaries. I think, why fill them out now if my application won't get looked at until late august anyway?

About the Ads