1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Guest, be sure to check out How To Get Into Dental School, our free downloadable PDF with step-by-step details for dental school applicants!
    Dismiss Notice

Completed my part 1 cbt exam!!!

Discussion in 'International Dental' started by pallavi rakesh, Apr 22, 2004.

1. pallavi rakesh

7+ Year Member

There is some problem in my previous posting. So I am putting across the details once more.

Ok the cbt part 1 is cool; need not have any taboos regarding it. Registration can be done online. Once you register you will get a confirmation from the ADA. They will provide you with a 800 no: call that no: and register to any date you are comfortable with.

I had to be there in the prometric center at 7.30 in the morning. After checking for the confirmation, I started the test at about 8.30.

The allotted time for each subject is 1.45 min. But we cannot carry the extra time to the next subject in case u finish the exam earlier to 1.45 min. After finishing the morning session had a break of 1hr. then continued with the remaining two.

Anatomy went on good, felt bio/physio a little difficult, micro/path was fine and DA was easier with less no of questions on occlusion and had a lot diagrammatic representations also.

I gave my exam on April 9th and received my results with in 12 days. Well I am happy to say that I scored 99 in Anatomy, 93 in DA, 91 in micro/path, and 86 in phy/biochem. With an aggregate of 92%. It?s been a real big come back from 82 to 92.

Hope I have answered all your questions.

Take care
    pallavi

2. Toothzone

Toothzone Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi, Pallavi
    Congrats on your excellent scores ..that was really quick ..the results coming out soon..!!!.. :)
    It would be great if you would let us know how you prepared differently this time around ..???
    I know everyone says papers and decks ..!!!..Did you read books and how long was your prepartion this time around??How many months??
    Did you refer kaplan?
    How many revisions were you able to do?
    Were there many repeats from previous papers?
    Your detailed reply will help so many of us struggling to get better marks .. :confused:
    God bless
    Thanks
    Toothzone

3. Toothzone

Toothzone Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi,Pallavi
    Can you come back to the questions that you have left unanswered??..Will those questions come back on the screen again?...
    As far as DA ..Were there many tooth diagrams to help you to answer questions??
    Do you get a scrap paper just incase you need to write down ..or jot something?..like during paper based we can just write roughly the eruption dates ..to arrive at an answer...so is the paper provided at the center?
    Kindly let me know .. :confused:
    Thanks in advance
    Toothzone

4. deepanaik

deepanaik New Member

hi pallavi,
    congrats on u'r grt effort.

i'm planning to take my part1 this july.....
    how did u prepare this time?
    is kaplan helpful...i feel its too vast.....if u can give me some hints..that would be grt..

5. lasjy

lasjy Mr. Data
    7+ Year Member

hey pallavi,
    congrats on scoring 92. 99 in anatomy is a dream score....for me at least!! :clap::clap::clap:

my question to u is do u think people who take CBT are at an advantage since there r less people on that specified day and if u happen to well ur scores r higher as when compared to a paper based test that is only offered twice a year????

lasjy

6. mamadent

mamadent Member
    7+ Year Member

hi pallavi,congratulations on the great score.it is such a magical number.92% is really excellent.and thanks so much for posting the details and removing my fears of the cbt. did u read just papers and decks.were u the only one in the room taking the cbt or are there others too.and did u feel the time was enough.plz post a short reply ,thanks.

7. Callous K9

Callous K9 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

hey pallavi!!
    WONNNNDERFUL WONDERFUL score.
    Keeep it up.
    truly an inspiration for prt1 retakers. (i mite do the same after giving my p rt2)
    connngrats!! yaa...really really happy for u!

8. toothmail

toothmail Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

CONGRATS pallavi!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! great score! really very happy for u. :thumbup:

9. anjoliey

anjoliey Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

hi pallavi,
    congratulations and thanks a lot for posting the cbt experience it really is very helpful for people like me who plan to retake the exam and cbt for the first time.

10. gorur

gorur Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

That's an awesome score pallavi.. :clap: :clap: :wow:

We had so many scary thoughts abt CBT..u've cleared those doubts..thanks a lot.Was the time sufficient for DA as there is no carry over of time?Also can u get back to questions later....????
    Scoring 99 in anat??? :wow: Awesome..
    Great score..congrats again..Way to go...pallavi... :)

regards n luck for u'r future venture
    gorur

11. treasure

treasure Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hey Pallavi,
    Congratulations!!!You're score is really excellent. I think u can be really confident of getting admission in a good college.. Alll the very best...
    Any tips from such a top scoring applicant will be appreciated....!!!!!!
    Thanks, bye,
    Treasure!

12. dentaldoc

dentaldoc Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

CONGRATS pallavi! :hardy:
    & the nbde results in 12 days! :wow:
    By the way great score :thumbup:
    Thanks for posting all the info. :clap:

13. elementz

elementz Happiness and Sunshine:)
    7+ Year Member

Congrats pallavi!
    wow! what a score 99 in anat...wow :thumbup: ! thats all i can think at this moment.
    This is a good thing that you posted your experience with cbt so that all taking up the same in future would benefit from it :) .
    So, do you get to come back to the questions you have left unanswered while doing the tests :confused: how does that work? .
    By the way toothzone, I'd given my toefl at a prometric center and they did give me a rough sheet to work on so i guess the same works for all exams.
    Celebrate your scores and wish you the best in all your pursuits :thumbup:
    cheers,
    elementz

14. toothlord

toothlord Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

congratulations.

15. wiztooth

wiztooth Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Congratulations pallavi :clap: Great score n esp u rocked in Anat :clap:
    Thanx a lot for sharing ur experience with us n alleviating our fears regarding comuter based part-1 :love: .
    There are already so many questions for u...even am wondering whether the time was sufficient for u for DA...!n also is there a method/way to check the unanswered questions....or should we scroll all of that...!!Too many questions for u...... :D .Anyhow.....now jus enjoy n party :hardy:
    cheers......take care :)

16. Ann 03

Ann 03 Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

congrats pallavi. hard work pays. 99 in anat is real good. good luck on ur admissions. :)

17. BOGGU

BOGGU Member
    7+ Year Member

CONGRATS PALLAVI...PERSEVEARANCE PAYS.Kindly share your persevearance bit, to all of us here.Thanks again.Awesome score in anat!Way to go!ALL THE VERY BEST! :thumbup: :D :luck:

18. Athene

Athene 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

hi pallavi.........congratulations and celebrations............... :) :cool: :thumbup: :thumbup:

19. pallavi rakesh

7+ Year Member

Thanks guys thanks a lot, this couldn?t have been possible without your help and all the wonderful links on sdn. Really thankful to god for such wonderful friends and especially whom I got very close to through sdn. My friends you ROCK!!!

Toothzone- Yup the very good part of cbt exam is that you need not spend the dreadful months waiting for the results. Results are right in your hand even before you realize it.
    ? I can?t specify that I read any differently this time, for all that counts in the end is your hard work. And how well you understand the subject.
    ? First time I gave my exam in july 2003 then I again I gave my exam on april 9th.
    ? The books that I referred still remains the same.you got to get perfect with the decks, as previously mentioned by so many fellow students 3-4 times is very necessary.
    ? Go through all the questions papers well.
    ? I dint have enough time for Kaplan but since I had already had noted down some important points from the previous preparations, I went through them well.
    ? Additional books that I referred are MCQ?s from India. Gowri Shankar and V.P singh.
    ? Yes there were quite a no: of repeats from the previous papers. I dont remember how many exactly.
    ? Yes you can go back to the check your answers any no: of times And all the unanswered questions and the q?s the you have marked will come on the screen in the end. Just follow the instructions before you start the exam its very similar to toffel and everything else should be fine.
    ? DA was similar to our previous papers with the same no: of the diagrams.
    Yes you get rough sheets to work on.

Deepanaik

? Thanks Deepanaik. Hope all your q?s are answered.

Lasjy

Yes this is my dream score too!!!!! Nothing can beat this score in my entire life for sure. Sorry dear I am as ignorant as you guys are about the score curves. Even cbt can given only after 90 days after your first attempt.

Mamadent

? Thanks mamdent. Yes I was only person taking cbt on that day. And as far as I know I might be the first one to start off.

Callous K9

Thanks Dear, wish you all the best for both your exams.

Toothmail

Thanks toothmail, you were truly inspiring for me as a good friend and a senior.

Gorur

Yes there was sufficient time for all the subjects.

Treasure

Thanks treasure, hope all your questions have been answered.

And thanks for all your wishes- Dental doc, elementz, toothlord, wiztooth, Ann 03,Boggu, Anjoliey and meetlife. Wish you all the best too.

Hope my experience helps you people.

Take care
    pallavi

20. starwars

starwars Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

congrats...and all the best :)

21. BOGGU

BOGGU Member
    7+ Year Member

Thanks Pallavi, you make it sound easy.

22. dent_ist

dent_ist dent_ist
    5+ Year Member

hey pallavi,
    congrats!!! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

23. lasjy

lasjy Mr. Data
    7+ Year Member

hey pallavi

thanks for the reply

hope more people who take their part1 CBT post more replies soon.

:thumbup:

lasjy

24. Henna

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Congrats, Pallavi.. Now you can go back to your fav hobby--> painting

( everytime I paint, I think of your work :thumbup: )

25. Giffy

Giffy Member
    7+ Year Member

Congrats pallavi. Great scores and your hard work has paid off. Send us pics of the new paintings you do!!!
    Giffy

26. lasjy

lasjy Mr. Data
    7+ Year Member

hey pallavi,
    i read that u had taken the exam in july 2003 and now again in CBT. i wanted to know what were ur individual scores in whenu took the exam in july 2003. i am having a hard time trying to study all over agin and i really have to push myself to study. i will be giving my part 1 exam on july 12th 2004.

let me know
    thanks
    lasjy

27. pallavi rakesh

7+ Year Member

Thanks henna and giffy. Cool, you still remmember my paintings. right now i am working on a lot of paintings, will surely update the website.

Henna, i would love to see your work. I admire you, as you manage a number of things along with your school. Keep it going.

28. NASA

NASA Non-stop AS Always
    5+ Year Member

:) hi pallavi,
    gr8 and gr8 score, 99 IN ANATOMY wooooooooo! i can c the real hardwork hidden behind this score and the determination which brought u to this high score , good work , all the very best for u , i think u deserve an admission in your dream university(watever it is! ) u really got to get it.

bye
    cheers

29. pallavi rakesh

7+ Year Member

Thanks, ssaug. I hope i see those days soon. :) . Best of luck to you too.

pallavi

30. Henna

Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Painting is just a passion of mine, I dont have that many paintings. May be someday when I have time (and enough paintings :) ) I'll start a website, it'll definitely not be in the near future though. I just work with oil paints. I'd stopped it for a while 'cause of the smell of turpentine, but then my SO recently got me one without any kind of smell so I just started again.

Henna

31. sonal

sonal Member
    7+ Year Member

hello pallavi!
    congrats pallavi this is an amazing score for retakers and fro anyone around the scene. you have got your dreams true, and i am really happy for you.
    this is a gr8 source of aspiraton for all of us out here,
    enjoy your sucess
    sonal

32. sreshta

sreshta Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

wow what a score in anatomy. i am planning for paper based in july and just started studying. can u give any tips for anatomy and biochemistry

33. sadaf

sadaf Member
    10+ Year Member

Hi to all
    can any one know that what is the fee for NBDE 1 CBT.
    Thanks

34. Karu

Karu Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Cbt fee for NBDE Part 1................$215

35. HIM0098

7+ Year Member

Congratulation...Excellent work..

36. Bond

Bond Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Excellent score Pallvi :thumbup: :thumbup:

ur a great inspiration of all of us taking the exam again

37. sadaf

sadaf Member
    10+ Year Member

Thank you Karu

38. pallavi rakesh

7+ Year Member

.Sonal, Sreshta, HIM0098, Bond. Thanks for all your wishes guys. Srestha the only tip for such high scores is hard work and lots of it. What ever I have done to achieve such scores is what I have written in my document. Off course lots of luck too.

My best wishes to all the retakers, and hope you achieve your dream scores soon.

Take care
    pallavi

39. pinkpeanuts

pinkpeanuts Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hi Pallavi,Congrats on the excellent score. :thumbup: Am thinking of retaking my part1 too... you have really inspired me.Was under the impression that your first shot was your best shot..but you proved it otherwise! :D

40. sonal

sonal Member
    7+ Year Member

hello pallavi,
    thanks a lots for your update for your response and moral support ,trust me it helps you a lots when you are alone by yourself,wish you goodluck for your goals and have a gr8 one.
    sonal

41. Karu

Karu Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Does anyone know how long its takes to get a response for the ADA regarding the status of your application following an online application for the cbt? I filled in the online application a week ago but have had no response from them.

42. mrinalini

mrinalini bAbYRoAcH
    7+ Year Member

Hi Karu,
    I had the same problem. I applied online two weeks ago. I did'nt get a reply from them. I would suggest you call the ADA and ask them the status of your application, they will tell you if your application is complete. They will also tell you when prometric has mailed you your invitation. I havent recieved it yet, I called them last Wednesday and they told me they mailed me the letter the previous week.
    Call them.
    Cheers
    Mrinalini

43. Karu

Karu Junior Member
    7+ Year Member

Hello mrinalini.........thank you for the information.

44. lasjy

lasjy Mr. Data
    7+ Year Member

hey pallavi,
    some questions popped up about the CBT from some of my other friends and since very few people have taken it up i'm sure some of these doubts are there. i posted this on aravind's thread too. maybe u can give ur views on it as well......

1) Is the CBT like the Toefl GRE types where when u answer a question correct the next one becomes tougher

2) as i understand u get 1 hour 45 mins for a section....r u allowed to go back and forth through a section and change ur answers for the previous question. in Toefl GRE once u mark ur answers u can't go back to question except maybe in Reading comprehension

eg. u r working outy phy/biochem sec. and u r on question 54 and want to go back to question 28 because u had a doubt and wanted to change ur answer.

is this possible??
    please let me know and for the benifit of all others due to take CBT
    if not this maybe the one advantage of written test over CBT

3) as far as the grading goes is it because fewer people take the CBT that day that most scores seem to be higher. i ask this because if they grade us on percentile and if fewer people take the test,the ones who do better will obviously get better scores

if this is not the case and the JCNDE will make it fair by comparing CBT scores with regular written test scores....right!!

i hope i get some clear answers

lasjy

45. Athene

Athene 1K Member
    7+ Year Member

in the exam does compter show the QS one does not attempt...........at the end of the test.....

46. Bond

Bond Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Yes u can go back and do the questions u didnt attempted first time.and there is also a check i am not sure what it is called something like if ur not sure about the answer click that box and u can see list of question ur not sure about and u can go to them any time, And u can also see all the question u didnt attempted. in the end it shows u the page with all the attempted, unattempted and not sure question list u can click on any question to double check ur answer if u have time.

47. drmps

drmps ARYAN

hi guys,
    I am not clear as 2 which exam is better the written/cbt.
    wotz the requirements 4 them?
    As i have no frds giving the boards here in Detroit,MI..I am really skeptical.
    Would b glad 2 get an input.
    Thanks,
    drmps

48. toothfairy78

toothfairy78 Member
    5+ Year Member

hi pallavi, :p i am new otthe forum here&its just amazing how much support&encourage ment u hguys have for one another im lucky to have found this web site,when we r studying especially we really need totake out our tensions&have osme happy free :cool: relaxed time wew really dotn have time to do many e njoyabel thigns so this is a good utlet.
    also it is really inspiring&awesome tokno its within it hapens to humans watta score ur parents must eb really happy for u,so have got intou r univ?have u applied all over or just where u stay keep us posted.i am going to give my boards late july(cbt)i am very encouraged by u thank u.& :) god bless u :luck:

49. Bond

Bond Senior Member
    7+ Year Member

Buddy u dont need to put this in every thread just put it in buyers and sellers link

50. dent_rana

dent_rana Member
    5+ Year Member

hey! guys..i jus signed my self on to this forum ...this is my first email to the group ..but beleive me after going thru all the emails it feels tht we all are going thru the exact same thing.people like Pallavi i must say r very INSPIRING!!!,congrats Pallavi! thts an amazing score...wish u best luck with everything else too.i jus wanted to ask u if cbt has a benefit of curve as compared to the pbt?i am very confused & dont know if the marking is the same on both the tests...i am very sure tht there is some benefit in written ones...so can u tell me if it the same on cbt too??
    good luck to u all!i will be in touch....