completely discouraged and overwhelmed with prep, help?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glia25

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

So I just took the science diagnostic and overall diagnostic for kaplan online and i have bought NOVA physics, the entire EK package, and Berkeley review genchem and organic books...maybe its overkill... So now i have all of these materials and I did AWFULLY on the Kaplan diagnostic (17).

Of course, I haven't really started studying yet so a bad score was to be expected, but I thought I had a solid grasp on some of the subject matter since I have taken all of the prereqs...

Any words of encouragement? Did anyone else ever feel overwhelmed in getting over the initial hump of studying...

I am taking the May 22 exam and will have a full course load over the semester in addition...am I setting myself up for failure or is this doable?

I am generally a very motivated student, I am just a bit frustrated at the moment...

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Everyone,

So I just took the science diagnostic and overall diagnostic for kaplan online and i have bought NOVA physics, the entire EK package, and Berkeley review genchem and organic books...maybe its overkill... So now i have all of these materials and I did AWFULLY on the Kaplan diagnostic (17).

Of course, I haven't really started studying yet so a bad score was to be expected, but I thought I had a solid grasp on some of the subject matter since I have taken all of the prereqs...

Any words of encouragement? Did anyone else ever feel overwhelmed in getting over the initial hump of studying...

I am taking the May 22 exam and will have a full course load over the semester in addition...am I setting myself up for failure or is this doable?

I am generally a very motivated student, I am just a bit frustrated at the moment...

Rule #1: Don't pay attention to the scores you get on any Kaplan practice tests

Rule #1a: REALLY dont pay attention to Kaplan diagnostic test

They make it ridiculously hard so that by the end you can show a huge improvement. On top of the fact that you havent really started studying, I wouldnt worry about it. Kaplan tests are not very good predictors of scores ontheh real deal. Intead, they should be used for pracice questions, getting a feel for the test, etc. etc. The tests you should really try and do well and should use to gauge your progress is the AAMC test 3-7. Those are the best predictors of your score. You have a long ways before your test, just keep studying and dont flip out. Take as many AAMC tests as you can.

Listen to the above and remember that many books overlap so don't feel you have to read all of EK all of BR all of Kaplan etc etc. Take time to learn what you read, supplementing anything you don't know. Also don't get discouraged until you have taken the real thing. You won't be doing yourself any favors.

Members don't see this ad :)
Preparing for the MCAT is, in general, a very frustrating process. As everyone else said, take the kaplan diagnostic with a grain of salt. If you're taking the test in May, you have plenty of time to study. Set up a weekly study schedule and stick to it. You're starting fairly early, which is great. Take as many AAMC CBTs as you can after you've reviewed. You'll be fine!

a little FYI if this helps: i got a 19 on the kaplan diag and even though i havent taken the test yet, my last 2 practice aamc cbt's were a 34 and a 32. A lot of work but you can do it, everyone feels the pressure at some point - whether its when first starting to study(which i felt) or in the middle(which i also felt) or even towards the end when you just want it to be done with and ur taking practice tests and reviewing material that still troubles you (which i also am feeling). Good luck

I completely agree with the fact that you should not pay attention to the Kaplan Diagnostic. The best indicator of how you will do on the real deal is your AAMC practice test average. That number tends to pretty accurately put you the range of how you will do. The real test seemed harder to me than the practices but I still was right near my AAMC practice test average.

Gila25, it looks intimidating if you have not started with your preparation or are in the very beginning stages. Generally, as you get the proverbial snowball rolling with your preparation, things will become less overwhelming. You have more than enough of the practice materials to do very well on the test. Just begin you prep and keep the snowball rolling.

Regarding whether May 22 is a good date for you or not, the best way to tell, in my opinion, is to see how you are doing on your AAMC practice exams as the test date approaches. If your average is where you want it to be, you should go ahead and take the real test. If it isn't, then perhaps more preparation after your school semester ends may help. Personally, I waited till school was done and buckled down with MCAT prep for a month before I took it.

Good luck and keep at it. If you are a motivated student, you've won half the battle!

Im going to take a Kaplan diag tomorrow...kinda going into it with not much studying.

Just make sure to create a good schedule and stick to it.

May 22nd test ftw! good luck