Completely lost, can anyone give some guidance?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Robbedbyawolf

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

So I'm kinda...just lost

My GPA right now is like a 3.4, with a 3.2ish science (I've gotten a C in a dif bio class the past 3 semesters >.> smh)
I have 1 semester left (spring) (would be graduating in 4 years)
Currently studying for my DAT and planning to take in late january/february, going well so far

Maryland Resident

Idk what to do man, I was checking around to compare my stats and it seems like...my chances aren't high. Especially for Maryland Dental school.

I was looking at a post bac but does it matter if its formal or informal?
Like what if I just stayed an extra year at my undergrad in order to boost my gpa? (Itd be way cheaper)
Would it look bad that it took me 5 years to graduate?

I just don't know what to do, and I'm freaking out. I mean, there's always a chance I get like a really high DAT score (23ish), but idk if thats gonna counter act my bad gpa or my Cs.

My extracurriculars are really good though, I know that. I just don't know where to go from here

Members don't see this ad.

Input your grades and find out your exact stats. Play around with it to find out what you need for a 3.4 science GPA and 3.2 BCP GPA. Taking a 5th year and delaying graduation (it won't look bad) will get the cheapest way but also make sure you only take classes that you know you can get A's in. (If this means only taking 1 or 2 science classes then so be it. Maybe try science classes in the summer?) Do the best you can on your DAT. Apply broadly next cycle and hope for the best, but if you don't get in at least you will have a higher GPA next time you apply. Best of luck buddy! P.S. I don't think your in that bad of shape as you may seem.

Attachments

• ADEA AADSAS Course Subjects 2016.pdf
    282.8 KB · Views: 56
  • AADSAS_GPACalculator - Clear.xlsx
    89.6 KB · Views: 66
No need to freak out. Do your best in DAT. I'd say rather than staying extra year, spend that money on the application and apply to more schools. yes stat low for Maryland, but there are many schools will accept you. Work on your application more. And apply early.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think if you can do well this semester and do well on the DAT and apply first batch, you will get interview invites and then just take extra science classes next year to raise that sGPA

Hey man, I have the exact same oGPA and sGPA with a couple Cs on my transcript but also got a 23AA on my DAT. Not saying that's the easiest thing to do, but I did it with like 2 months of studying. This cycle I have 7 interviews and 2 acceptances already so it's all definitely doable! Sounds like you already have good ECs so just focus on that DAT. I also applied really broad though, like 30 schools, so depends on if you care where you go to school, but you can definitely get into A dental school.

Reactions: 1 user
Do all EXS classes count towards the other science GPA?? I once was told that it was only EXS classes at the 300 level or above count towards the science GPA. Is this true?

Would staying that 5th year look bad though? And the reason I don't want to apply to like a bunch of schools is honestly cuz like..if there's a way for me to possible attend maryland or a school near family, I can save so much $ in the long run from not having to pay for housing.

Was probably only going to apply to around 8 to 10 schools or so

Do all EXS classes count towards the other science GPA?? I once was told that it was only EXS classes at the 300 level or above count towards the science GPA. Is this true?
All my EXSC classes counted towards my sGPA.