Completely lost now. No idea where to go now.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Hey all so here's the story...

I originally started at a local state school back in 2012 and then had to withdraw from all classes my first semester due to illness. Pretty bad start, but I came back and knocked the next 3 semesters out of the park. Took intro bio and chem classes and did pretty well in all of them (A's and B's). So during those three semesters, I decided that I was unhappy at that school for whatever reason. I guess I just had a problem with the types of people that went to that university, so I transferred to a very highly ranked public university. So this is where **** hits the fan the second time..
I do EXTREMELY poorly at this university. I ended my college career at this university with a 2.3 something GPA, but then if you factor in the credits and grades that I had at my old school (I still took summer classes here even after transferring), I end up with a 2.88 oGPA (As a bio major). The only pre req class that I did poorly in was Orgo 1 and 2. I originally got a C and a C- in those, but retook them senior year and got a B and a C+.

I decided to enroll in post bacc courses at the first university I attended and got an A in Cell biology (Got a D in this class at the other university). I decided to take more classes in the fall but MESSED UP BIG TIME. I was doing so poorly in them that I withdrew from 6 of the 12 credit hours and got C's in the remaining 6 credit hours. I decided to try once more and then during that spring semester, I got straight A's in 13 credit hours, BUT I withdrew from Biochem 2 because as it turns out this Biochemistry class had absolutely nothing to do with the Biochem I took at my old university. I had absolutely no idea what was going on.
Anyway, with those post bacc classes included, my overall GPA ends up being a 2.98 (I THINK sGPA is 2.82 - possibly higher depending on if the one class I got an F in was actually a science course. It was under the statistics department at my old school, but it was called Intro to discrete sciences so I have no idea). I was working part time (sometimes full time) as a dental assistant during the entire post bacc. On top of that, I got a 22 on the DAT and have about 200 hours of miscellaneous volunteer work as well as 200+ hours shadowing the dentist before I was eventually hired.

Anyway, so right now I am completely lost. I really don't know what to do since my Post Bacc ended up being a bit of a mess. Is it even possible for me to get into ANY dental schools now? With a GPA that bad, I just don't know what to do. I want to go to dental school so bad, and I know I am capable. Mental problems have plagued me these past few years, but I got over it and I'm good to go now. I'm back to the hard working person I used to be and can't see myself letting that slip away again. What are my options now? I NEED advice. I don't know who else to go to. Is a SMP the only way? Can someone direct me to some decent SMPs? Should I even bother applying now? I'm 23 years old now, I can't waste any more of my time. I need some sort of plan, but I don't know where to start.

BTW: In terms of basic pre reqs (8 hours gen bio, 8 hours gen chem, 8 hours phys, 8 hours orgo, 8 hours eng) I have a 3.14 GPA in those.. Throw in Calculus and Basic Stats and then it's a 3.17. Not sure if that makes any sort of difference.

Also I should add, I only took 84 credit hours at my second institution. I took 78 credit hours at the first institution. So the overall GPA at the school I transferred FROM (And ended up taking post bacc classes at) was 3.65.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to show that you are capable of handling 10+ classes at dental school. What held you back from doing well in those two universities? I would definitely wait and make at least three semesters of A as the lowest grade, A+ in most classes. Stop repeating mistakes, sacrifice some fun if you want to make it. Good luck.

Enroll into a masters program and get a 3.5+ and 20+ on the dat.

Since you did well on DAT and have GPA over 2.75, you should be able to get into some SMPs. Doing well on the SMP (3.5+) should get you in.