Completely ruined after getting back MCAT score.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

poddocsoon

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I got a 496 MCAT. I will be applying to all 9 podiatry schools this fall.

Wondering if I should retake my MCAT before this upcoming cycle. I really would rather avoid it and strengthen myself in other ways before this cycle by adding more hours.

3.18 cGPA
2.92 sGPA

Shadowed a podiatrist for ~60 hours. Volunteered at a food bank for ~100 hours. Shadowed a family doc for ~150 hrs. Cardiologist ~50 hours.
Worked a bunch of jobs all throughout college (not any health related). Volunteered at a hospital for 500+ hours in high school (even though I know it doesn't matter but it doesn't hurt to add).

I can't bring myself to restart the whole process and study for the MCAt all over again. Any advice is appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

That's good enough to get in.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
But you may just apply to a few that you think you would like to go. See if you get in and if you like any of them. I dont recommend applying to all 9 right away. Unless time and money is not the issue at all.
Top options are Barry, Temple, NYCPM and AZPOD.

Reactions: 1 user
You'll get into a majority of schools, provided you are fine in interviews.

AZPOD and DMU might be a bit of a reach, but if you got the money, might as well throw your app out, see who bites. If apps are down this year like last year, you might get lucky.

You'll get into a majority of schools, provided you are fine in interviews.

AZPOD and DMU might be a bit of a reach, but if you got the money, might as well throw your app out, see who bites. If apps are down this year like last year, you might get lucky.

What would be a good MCAT score for AZPOD/DMU to be competitive?

With your GPA I would feel comfortable applying to AZPOD with a 500 to show them I could handle large long tests. Their average this last year I believe was a 3.4 and 498. It was 502 two years ago.

But, apps are down, so they might be less picky.

This should give you an idea. Hopefully it helps. Has a section on lowest GPAs schools have accepted last couple years.
http://www.aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/2017-2018-CIB_DIGITAL-FINAL.pdf

What would be a good MCAT score for AZPOD/DMU to be competitive?

With your GPA I would feel comfortable applying to AZPOD with a 500 to show them I could handle large long tests. Their average this last year I believe was a 3.4 and 498. It was 502 two years ago.

But, apps are down, so they might be less picky.

This should give you an idea. Hopefully it helps. Has a section on lowest GPAs schools have accepted last couple years.
http://www.aacpm.org/wp-content/uploads/2017-2018-CIB_DIGITAL-FINAL.pdf

Thanks this is super helpful! I was asking for a friend who has similar stats as the poster of this thread and also just got Mcat scores back and was disappointed because azpod is her top choice

From AZpod. I'd still apply. I have classmates here that had lower stats. Worth a shot if your friends heart is set on AZpod. Amazing school!