Completing a degree first and then focusing on med school?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xnfs93hy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a very difficult major (Chemical Engineering) which leaves me little time to do anything outside of the pre-req classes and some volunteering. Unfortunately, I don't think my medical school application will be up to par by the time that I graduate from undergrad. I'm thinking of just focusing on my degree and co-ops/internships during undergrad and putting off medical school for a bit. My main issue is that I just do not have the time to jump through all the hoops and do research on top of my studies. There simply are not enough hours in the day to do it. My question is whether or not this is a good idea. Should I cram medical school stuff into my schedule and end up with a less than stellar application or just put it off until I'm finished with my degree and take a few gap years to get my medical school affairs in order? I spoke with my advisor at my university and he said that switching to an easier major is still a possibility at this point in the game, but I don't want to switch majors, as it will take much longer and my financial aid will run out and I'll have to take out loans (pay out of pocket each extra semester). I'm really torn on this issue. Should I focus on my degree first or pick another major that allows me to fit in the medical school stuff?

Members don't see this ad.

Finish school, then get a clinical job and do research/volunteering/whatever.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Some people easily go through engineering school while preparing for medical school application, and some don't. You will have to decide for yourself if you can maintain a high GPA and gain clinical and research experiences at the same time. Your GPA should be the top priority, however, since icing is useless without the cake.

I would finish school and focus on your degree. If anything being a ChemE is a good back up plan in case med school doesn't work out. Plus it'll be easier to fit in volunteering/research once you have a full time job.

If you can't handle both, then grades first.

But re-evaluate your time. You have more time than you think you do.

If you can't handle both, then grades first.

But re-evaluate your time. You have more time than you think you do.

I might throw some physician shadowing in there, apart from my volunteering. That's about it, though.

I'm in a very difficult major (Chemical Engineering) which leaves me little time to do anything outside of the pre-req classes and some volunteering. Unfortunately, I don't think my medical school application will be up to par by the time that I graduate from undergrad. I'm thinking of just focusing on my degree and co-ops/internships during undergrad and putting off medical school for a bit. My main issue is that I just do not have the time to jump through all the hoops and do research on top of my studies. There simply are not enough hours in the day to do it. My question is whether or not this is a good idea. Should I cram medical school stuff into my schedule and end up with a less than stellar application or just put it off until I'm finished with my degree and take a few gap years to get my medical school affairs in order? I spoke with my advisor at my university and he said that switching to an easier major is still a possibility at this point in the game, but I don't want to switch majors, as it will take much longer and my financial aid will run out and I'll have to take out loans (pay out of pocket each extra semester). I'm really torn on this issue. Should I focus on my degree first or pick another major that allows me to fit in the medical school stuff?

I didn't really do any of the pre-med stuff during college, just focused on my engineering requirements and got my pre-reqs done. I did research throughout UG, but none of the shadowing, volunteering, clinical exposure. Also waited until after I graduated to take the MCAT.
I took 2 years off total (so 1 before I applied), and I think that was the best option for me. I personally wouldn't worry about trying to get it all in during college if you're willing to take the gap year or two. But make use of your summers!

There's really no down side to applying to med school later. The nontrad board is full of people who applied even decades later. Don't try to lock yourself to some naive premed timeframe of when you think you are "supposed" to apply. You don't pull the trigger until all your ducks are in a row.